Author Topic: Republicans Have Long Wanted to Punish the U.N., but Trump Might Actually Do It  (Read 1677 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Republicans Have Long Wanted to Punish the U.N., but Trump Might Actually Do It

Too bad the biggest winner of a U.S. retreat from the world’s global body would be China.

By Richard Gowan

December 28, 2016

Donald Trump likes attacking soft targets, and the United Nations is about as soft as they come. Over the past two months, U.N. officials have been bracing for an entirely inevitable clash with the next U.S. administration. Their only question has been exactly what would set off the showdown. Would it be climate change? Torture?

Now they have their answer. The president-elect is gearing up to do battle with the U.N. even sooner than expected, and his casus belli is a classic sore point in U.S.-U.N. relations: Israel. Trump not only tried to stop the U.N. Security Council’s recent resolution condemning Israeli settlements, but also suggested the U.N. itself will face consequences once he is president, tweeting, “As to the U.N., things will be different after Jan. 20th.”

more
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republicans-have-long-wanted-to-punish-the-un-but-trump-might-actually-do-it-214558
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Trump would seek to punish anyone who do things or say things he doesn't like.

Offline Millee

We need to stop funding the U.N.. Worthless organization. 

Offline jpsb

Certainly we should cut funding. I am also very much in favor of booting the UN out of NYC. We should however not leave the UN. Giving away our veto power would be a very foolish thing to do.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Certainly we should cut funding. I am also very much in favor of booting the UN out of NYC. We should however not leave the UN. Giving away our veto power would be a very foolish thing to do.

@jpsb

On the surface that would make sense, however without the US the UN would fall apart.   China and Russia sure aren't going to pay for it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:amen:  And get it the hell out of our country!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

Probably should keep them in NYC, too.  A little extra leverage to use if we ever need it.

And you're right...it would definitely be foolish to withdraw.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

@jpsb

On the surface that would make sense, however without the US the UN would fall apart.   China and Russia sure aren't going to pay for it.

@driftdiver Then why not just cut funding levels and stay in?  Right now, we're evidently not using the funding levels as a bargaining tool.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver Then why not just cut funding levels and stay in?  Right now, we're evidently not using the funding levels as a bargaining tool.

@Suppressed

Probably a good way of going about it.  China might jump in with both feet if they could use international law against us.

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed

Probably a good way of going about it.  China might jump in with both feet if they could use international law against us.

That's the problem with giving up our big presence in there.  Believe it or not, the UN is a good tool for the US at times, too.
+++++++++

Offline driftdiver

That's the problem with giving up our big presence in there.  Believe it or not, the UN is a good tool for the US at times, too.

@Suppressed
True, just not with a limp wristed traitor as President.   Hasn't really been useful for quite a while but Obama has turned it against us.

Offline Applewood

Haven't seen much of that "good tool" thing lately.  These days it seems the UN is dominated by our enemies such as Rusdua, China and countries in the Middle East.  Why is this country making nice to our enemies?  I just don't see the benefit to America.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Suppressed

Like when?  Give me an example when that has ever been true!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump would seek to punish anyone who do things or say things he doesn't like.

So...if Trump gets us out of the United Nations because he doesn't like something they've done, you're not for it.... because it's Trump.

Time to let go of self-defeating hatred.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@jpsb

Yes, I was trying to make that point earlier, and apparently failed. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So...if Trump gets us out of the United Nations because he doesn't like something they've done, you're not for it.... because it's Trump.

Time to let go of self-defeating hatred.

888high58888

Offline bilo

I disagree. The tyrants of the world would love having complete control over this "legitimate" international body, but how long will that "legitamacy" last if the USA forms a new body exclusively comprised of countries that have a history of free & fair elections, established judicial system with recognized property rights and freedom of worship. Once this body is established you would see at least 70% of the world's GDP in it and the UN could pass all the resolutions it wants, but it would have no resources or legitimacy.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home