Author Topic: Rockettes won't be forced to perform for Trump, says MSG  (Read 3410 times)

geronl

Rockettes won't be forced to perform for Trump, says MSG
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
Representatives for Madison Square Garden said in a statement Friday that members of the Rockettes will not be forced to perform for Donald Trump during his inauguration on Jan. 20 despite reports to the contrary.

“The Radio City Rockettes are proud to participate in the 58th Presidential Inaugural. For a Rockette to be considered for an event, they must voluntarily sign up and are never told they have to perform at a particular event, including the inaugural,” the statement, obtained by EW, reads. “It is always their choice. In fact, for the coming inauguration, we had more Rockettes request to participate than we have slots available. We eagerly await the inaugural celebrations.”

Late Thursday, Broadway World and other outlets reported Rockettes who refuse to kick up their heels for the president-elect could face job loss. The outlet obtained a purported email from the dancers’ union reading, in part, “any talk of boycotting this event is invalid.”
SNIP
one dancer via her Instagram account, who wrote, “the women I work with are intelligent and are full of love and the decision of performing for a man that stands for everything we’re against is appalling.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/rockettes-wont-be-forced-to-perform-for-trump-says-msg/ar-BBxuKMH?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Rockettes won't be forced to perform for Trump, says MSG
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
I'm sure there are many of her teammates asking, "what do you mean by WE?"  lol
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
I'm sure there are many of her teammates asking, "what do you mean by WE?"  lol

I expect they will be forced and not question it. The age of freedom has been gone a while.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:08 pm »
I expect they will be forced and not question it. The age of freedom has been gone a while.

They need not be forced. I know of at least a dozen world-class HS drill teams in North Texas that would be thrilled to be invited.

Same could be said for thrice as many HS marching bands, most who have performed internationally.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:28:01 am »
Same could be said for thrice as many HS marching bands, most who have performed internationally.

And half of which are dreadfully off key and can't even keep elementary time. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 05:52:29 am »
So what happened to "bake that cake" or else???

Funny how that works.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 05:57:59 am »

Funny how that works.

Someone left the cake out in the rain . . .

Richard Harris, "MacArthur's Park"

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 03:31:39 pm »

Funny how that works.

Their union will make them dance for Trump if they want to keep their jobs

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 04:57:35 pm »
Trump used to be fine with the Rockettes, but now that he is battling Marxist democrats not so much.

Donald Trump, The Rockettes Help Salvation Army to 'Kick Off' Annual Kettle Effort at Trump Tower

Democrat hypocrisy is your name.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »
And half of which are dreadfully off key and can't even keep elementary time. ;)

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your local HS bands. North Texas had over half of the state finalists this year, 7 of the 12 out of over 250.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 10:01:07 pm »

If the Rockettes are privately hired, it has nothing to do with the age of freedom.  They probably agreed to certain things in their contracts.

If it actually offends their principles to perform at the inaugeration, they can quit.

Still not seeing why the Rockettes fit into the inaugeration anyway unless Trump is a leg man.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »
Last I heard their union says they have to, which I think is unnecessary.  I'm sure there are at least 100 understudies who would be thrilled to get the big break of replacing any of these delicate snowflakes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:15 pm »
Too funny.  I took the post that you were less than amoured of our high school bands here.   :silly:

No problem. Band in Texas is as big a religion as football. I'm on my second tour as a Band Dad at our HS. A lot of parents leave the game after the halftime performances.

For the top 20 bands in Texas, it's as competitive as anything I've ever seen.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »

Trump just needs to call me. I will do it. What the hell?

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 12:17:47 am »
Sorry, I wasn't referring to your local HS bands. North Texas had over half of the state finalists this year, 7 of the 12 out of over 250.

No harm, no foul. But I've heard enough high school marching bands all around in my travels, enough to
know that the north Texas bands must be the exceptions, not the rules.

I suppose part of the problem is having them playing in horrid conditions. I once had a streetside view
of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on a bitter cold day and what came out of one marching band
after another could have qualified them for standing in a contest to determine the champions of anti-
music.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 12:33:43 am »
No problem. Band in Texas is as big a religion as football. I'm on my second tour as a Band Dad at our HS. A lot of parents leave the game after the halftime performances.

The Allen HS marching band played here a couple of weeks ago (half time during the high school football playoffs).  LOL, 760 members, and it required 30 buses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Eagle_Escadrille

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 01:42:18 am »
The Allen HS marching band played here a couple of weeks ago (half time during the high school football playoffs).  LOL, 760 members, and it required 30 buses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Eagle_Escadrille

They're loud, but there are too many to actually have a presentation that will make it to the state finals. Not when you have schools whose programs are perennial state finalists, like the Flower Mound schools, Duncanville, Coppell, etc.

I don't think I've seen a better overall presentation than this year's winner, Flower Mound.

I looked through the website when we were down in San Antonio for the finals, and I didn't see Allen HS in the finals for the past ten years. I give them credit, though...participation in extracurricular activities is a challenge  when your HS exceeds 6000 students.

Our HS has 3500, and our band is roughly 350 strong. Over 80 boys tried out for the freshman basketball team. Yeah, it's a challenge.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 02:37:47 am »

Your post brought back memories of my sister who was a Band Mom... she only attended because of the halftime and it made her furious if TV didn't show the halftimes.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 02:41:18 am »
Bubba and I used to walk by MacArthur High School in Irving when the band was practicing.  He would often say to me, "Did John Phillip Sousa live for nothing?"

geronl

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 06:19:57 am »
Bubba and I used to walk by MacArthur High School in Irving when the band was practicing.  He would often say to me, "Did John Phillip Sousa live for nothing?"

:silly:

MacArthur is the #3 high school in Irving for a reason.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 06:16:09 pm »
:silly:

MacArthur is the #3 high school in Irving for a reason.

Number 3 in what category?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »

@EasyAce

So what? Their performance is not the main event. They are just the icing on the cake,not the cake,and frankly,I would rather see amateur kids taking part in history and making the mistakes amateurs make while having fun,than seeing a bunch of pros do what they do every day for big bucks.

I never did get the attraction of the Rockettes to start with. They are pros that do simple repetitive routines,almost all related to being able to kick their legs high enough to put their ankles behind their heads if they want. Big deal. Show me any professional dancer that isn't limber.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:51:01 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:21 am »
@EasyAce

So what? Their performance is not the main event. They are just the icing on the cake,not the cake,and frankly,I would rather see amateur kids taking part in history and making the mistakes amateurs make while having fun, than seeing a bunch of pros do what they do every day for big bucks.

Bad icing can wreck a cake before your taste buds get to the cake itself.

Whether or not they're the main event there is still music to be considered. And depending on the
weather conditions I'd pity those kids having to go out there trying to play music in conditions which
make it difficult to impossible to play right. I'm not a horn player or a drummer, but even being a
guitar player I can tell you from experience good luck trying to get your hands to obey when it's either
too cold or too hot while playing outdoors---or keeping your instrument in tune. If the marching bands
include mellophone players instead of French horn players, they're really in trouble because the
mellophone has outdoor tuning issues going in, even before the weather considerations.

(Speaking of pro or semi-pro, the real music pros aren't the ones you see going out for the big bucks
being either oldies acts or human musical Xerox machines, a kind of aesthetic theft if you will since if you
wanted to hear note-for-note, tone-for-tone reproductions of what's in your music library you can save
yourself the hundred bucks or more a pop and just listen to your music library at home. The real pros are
out there in small, smaller, smallest places, from the most obscure little bar to the most non-descript little
500-seat theater, playing their hearts out for three sets a night for people who didn't go out for an evening
just to hear their home music libraries. Whether it's the blues, jazz, whatever the genre, that's where the
real music pros are. I haven't been to a live concert in several years now; I've been hearing live music
in just those smaller places---and I've been playing it, as well---and enjoying it as much as I enjoyed
the vintage years when you went to the Fillmore East, paid five or six bucks a throw, got to hear two
or even three solid bands on a single bill, and didn't feel as though you'd just paid good money to hear
your album library.)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 01:52:38 am »
Bad icing can wreck a cake before your taste buds get to the cake itself.

Whether or not they're the main event there is still music to be considered. And depending on the
weather conditions I'd pity those kids having to go out there trying to play music in conditions which
make it difficult to impossible to play right. I'm not a horn player or a drummer, but even being a
guitar player I can tell you from experience good luck trying to get your hands to obey when it's either
too cold or too hot while playing outdoors---or keeping your instrument in tune. If the marching bands
include mellophone players instead of French horn players, they're really in trouble because the
mellophone has outdoor tuning issues going in, even before the weather considerations.

@EasyAce

Dood,you are a pro,so you naturally look at this from a Pro POV. VERY few of the people watching at home on their teebees or standing along the streets are pros,though. They,and people like me,will miss mistakes that might be glaringly obvious to you,and speaking for myself,IF I were to accidentally notice one I wouldn't give a damn. I'd just be happy for that kid that got the chance of his young life to go out there and march down the street while playing for the new President. To me it's about history and experiences,and I LOVE seeing kids getting involved in historic events. Who knows,it may even inspire a few of them to take an interest in government at a early age.

On the other hand,from MY POV,if it were all pros,it would just be about nothing but pros playing another gig and cashing another check. Just "another day at the office".

Your actual mileage may vary.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!