Author Topic: Trump intends to impose tariffs via executive order  (Read 7027 times)

geronl

Re: Trump intends to impose tariffs via executive order
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »
Huge Marxist government requires a huge

trillions and trillions and trillions in new government spending.

Let's review, how high were the taxes in the USSR...

Taxes in USSR were 12% from first 100 rubles per month and 8.6% from anything over 100 rubles per month plus 5% from total earnings

even during WW2 the tax never exceeded 20%

geronl

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
I like the idea of Americans buying products make in America by American workers. I would further like to see the unConstitutional income tax repealed and replaced with tariffs, which BTW are the constitutional taxes on foreign goods imported into the USA.

The US is the second-largest exporter on Earth, what happens when the rest of the world responds? It could devastate our economy.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »
The US is the second-largest exporter on Earth, what happens when the rest of the world responds? It could devastate our economy.

What happens when we don't?   Well we used to be the largest exporter on earth didn't we.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2016, 04:11:29 pm »
What happens when we don't?   Well we used to be the largest exporter on earth didn't we.

Do you think that other countries are just going to sit there and take it when Donny starts imposing on tariffs on countries he feels are treating him fairly?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

geronl

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »
Do you think that other countries are just going to sit there and take it when Donny starts imposing on tariffs on countries he feels are treating him fairly?

Of course they won't. Then again the man thinks he can run every company in America and ignore treaties and renegotiate international agreements all by himself.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »
It makes eminent sense to "make you pay" in a matter that is most beneficial to the USA.

Nope. I want what benefits Americans. There's a difference.

I like Abraham Lincoln take on things. When discussing buying rail from Britain (cheaper) or building the rail here in the US. Lincoln said something like "If we buy the rail from Britain we will have the rail and they will have the money. But if we build the rail here we will have the rail and we will have the money." We built the rail here.

So tell unions and owners to price their rail competitively.  Don't force consumers to pay a subsidy to owners, union bosses, and workers who make more $$$ than many of them!  Nobody is subsidizing a job that I'd prefer; why should the government decide who gets a job created on the backs of others?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »
energy independence

Translated: use up our resources first, so when they get scarcer, we're more dependent on others.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2016, 06:11:49 pm »

I think the reason why we used to be the largest exporter may have to do with the fact that we where the only country that wasn't bombed to death after WWII..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2016, 07:22:28 pm »

I think the reason why we used to be the largest exporter may have to do with the fact that we where the only country that wasn't bombed to death after WWII..

Yup.  We had also dumped tariffs after WWI, which helped allow our economy to take off, not be shackled like it had been for the first 100 years of our existence.  Tariffs can be helpful for a fledgling economy, but they hold back growth.  It's like leaving the choke on, even after the engine has started.
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:32 pm »

If I recall correctly from history, the USA's export dominance reached its height within the first 5 or 10 years after WWII with the destruction of European production capability being a primary cause. We were already a fast growing country with ever expanding production capabilities after WWI and the destruction of European capability in WWII caused an even faster expansion of war production. Even during the war there were moves to put production closer to the fighting. Our ability to produce was something that Hitler both admired and worried about.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2016, 08:01:34 pm »
Translated: use up our resources first, so when they get scarcer, we're more dependent on others.

Maybe, if we didn't have what equates to nearly inexhaustible resources in this country you'd have a point. But we do. So, you don't.  We should not depend on others to provide what we can easily extract ourselves....we should be building Nuke plants every year, fracking like mad, exploring our Arctic oil resources which are VAST and virtually untapped, reinvigorating our clean coal industries...and yes, continuing to improve our solar, water and other passive energy technologies. The old "all the above" approach that actually creates jobs, creates exportable resources, and gives us freedom from the economic obeisance we've had to give to the Middle East.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:22 pm »
Maybe, if we didn't have what equates to nearly inexhaustible resources in this country you'd have a point. But we do. So, you don't.  We should not depend on others to provide what we can easily extract ourselves....we should be building Nuke plants every year, fracking like mad, exploring our Arctic oil resources which are VAST and virtually untapped, reinvigorating our clean coal industries...and yes, continuing to improve our solar, water and other passive energy technologies. The old "all the above" approach that actually creates jobs, creates exportable resources, and gives us freedom from the economic obeisance we've had to give to the Middle East.

Sounds like a plan to me. There was little reportage on the new oil find in West Texas, to the tune of 20 billion barrels. We have sufficient carbon reserves to bridge us to energy production that emits no CO2, without strangling our economy in the interim.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »
Yup.  We had also dumped tariffs after WWI, which helped allow our economy to take off, not be shackled like it had been for the first 100 years of our existence.  Tariffs can be helpful for a fledgling economy, but they hold back growth.  It's like leaving the choke on, even after the engine has started.

Exactly..

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2016, 09:20:24 pm »

And less money in the pockets of consumers, etc.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »

And yet we are surrendering to the economic war and giving away every advantage we had.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
If I recall correctly from history, the USA's export dominance reached its height within the first 5 or 10 years after WWII with the destruction of European production capability being a primary cause. We were already a fast growing country with ever expanding production capabilities after WWI and the destruction of European capability in WWII caused an even faster expansion of war production. Even during the war there were moves to put production closer to the fighting. Our ability to produce was something that Hitler both admired and worried about.

Then sometime in the 60's competition from Overseas caught up.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:51 pm »
And yet we are surrendering to the economic war and giving away every advantage we had.

Cause there is a thing called competition. What is wrong are you afraid of a little competition??

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2016, 11:02:11 pm »

@Suppressed  @kevindavis

I don't support tariffs but the field is not level.  Many countries impose tariffs on our goods.  Others impose other types of barriers.   We are fighting with both hands tied behind our backs.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2016, 11:05:14 pm »

Cause there is a thing called competition. What is wrong are you afraid of a little competition??

@kevindavis

A rather naive argument.

Why should we use tax dollars to encourage competition against ourselves?

We have given away massive amounts of intellectual capital, training, dollars, education and anything else of value.  Then we regulate the he'll out of our companies and tax the he'll outta them.

Afraid of competition, I thought better of you.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »
@kevindavis

A rather naive argument.

We have given away massive amounts of intellectual capital, training, dollars, education and anything else of value.  Then we regulate the he'll out of our companies and tax the he'll outta them.

Afraid of competition, I thought better of you.

@driftdriver sorry I refuse to pay extra because the factory refused to modernize.  I'll decide what to buy.. It is my money.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »

@driftdriver sorry I refuse to pay extra because the factory refused to modernize.  I'll decide what to buy.. It is my money.

Oh but you are paying for it anyway.  Just like our food.    There used to be massive tomatoe farms near where I live.   Up until all production was moved to mexico.  On the surface because it's cheaper.   In reality it's because the American govt gave the Mexican govt massive dollars for their farmers.   Who in turn subsidize the tomatoe farmers who can now produce it much cheaper than the US Farmer.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2016, 11:38:14 pm »
@kevindavis

A rather naive argument.

Speaking of naive.

That same competition we let into our own markets allows us entry into theirs.

One of those wonderful things about a free market economy.  Freedom of the people to choose what they want to buy no matter where it comes from.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2016, 12:00:06 am »
Speaking of naive.

That same competition we let into our own markets allows us entry into theirs.

One of those wonderful things about a free market economy.  Freedom of the people to choose what they want to buy no matter where it comes from.

@txradioguy

Except it's not a free market.  Never has been.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2016, 12:09:07 am »

@txradioguy

Except it's not a free market.  Never has been.

It's ben free at certain times more than others.  When there has been more government control and more isolationism in access to other markets and letting other countries access ours...the economy has suffered.

Isolationism is not the answer.

geronl

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2016, 12:19:50 am »

this 1960 Mazda had about 16 horsepower.... scary competition!!