Author Topic: Gingrich: Trump doesn't want to 'drain the swamp' anymore  (Read 5799 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Gingrich: Trump doesn't want to 'drain the swamp' anymore
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »
Former Speaker Newt Gingrich said in a new interview that Donald Trump has taken a different tone as president-elect and may be leaving behind his campaign promise to “drain the swamp.”

Gingrich told NPR's "Morning Edition" that he was told Trump “now says [the phrase] was cute, but he doesn’t want to use it anymore.”....

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/311296-gingrich-trump-doesnt-want-to-drain-the-swamp-anymore

Offline skeeter

Re: Gingrich: Trump doesn't want to 'drain the swamp' anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:49:43 pm »
 "You people were vicious, violent, screaming, 'Where's the wall? We want the wall!' Screaming, 'Prison! Prison! Lock her up!' I mean you are going crazy. I mean, you were nasty and mean and vicious and you wanted to win, right?" Trump said during a stop in Florida last Saturday.

"But now, you're mellow and you're cool and you're not nearly as vicious or violent, right? Because we won, right?"

Suckers.

I'm trying really, really hard to forget what an absolute jerk Trump is.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:04 pm »
"You people were vicious, violent, screaming, 'Where's the wall? We want the wall!' Screaming, 'Prison! Prison! Lock her up!' I mean you are going crazy. I mean, you were nasty and mean and vicious and you wanted to win, right?" Trump said during a stop in Florida last Saturday.

"But now, you're mellow and you're cool and you're not nearly as vicious or violent, right? Because we won, right?"

Suckers.

I'm trying really, really hard to forget what an absolute jerk Trump is.

We warned the Trumpsters, of course. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:46:51 pm »
This is why I voted for the man who told the truth whether I liked what I was hearing or not.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:05:53 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:08:45 pm »
By Paulina Firozi - 12/21/16 07:37 AM EST

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) said in a new interview that Donald Trump has taken a different tone as president-elect and may be leaving behind his campaign promise to “drain the swamp.”

Gingrich told NPR's "Morning Edition" that he was told Trump “now says [the phrase] was cute, but he doesn’t want to use it anymore.”

Gingrich, who has been a close adviser to Trump, said he likes "drain the swamp" because it “vividly illustrates the problem, because all people in this city who are the alligators are going to hate the swamp being drained.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/311296-gingrich-trump-doesnt-want-to-drain-the-swamp-anymore
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:58:37 pm »
Back in 2008, I was on an outdoor site were some BHO supporters were claiming that even though BHO came from the political sleaze of Chicago and benefited from it, that would make him best suited to clean up DC as he understands how bad political corruption is.

We heard similar things from Trumpers. We were told that because he had to engage in certain business behaviors and had to donate to both parties to do business, he would be the best suited to clean up the corruption and cronyism in DC because he saw first hand how it all works and hated it....LOL

Having said the above, I really like his choice for Budget Director and hope he listens to him
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 06:14:51 pm »

I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care. This does not indicate a betrayal to me. On the contrary, it indicates a man who is serious, and wants to get down to the actual business of doing the job.

Having read the article twice, all I get from this is that Trump is saying that he wants to tone down the rhetoric. He never said that he is no longer interested in reforming D.C. All he said is that the bumper sticker slogans that were used during the campaign have no use in actually getting the job done.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:17:37 pm »
I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care.

He can perform abortions in the oval office and shoot people on 5th avenue and you won't care.

-following not directed at you

This is why Trump likes the poorly educated.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 06:29:42 pm »
I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care. This does not indicate a betrayal to me.

Whether or not it's "betrayal", Newt Gingrich is just pissed about being on the outside looking in, despite his drooling support for Trump during the campaign.

So now he's trying to position himself to be able to say "I told you so".

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 06:31:09 pm »
He can perform abortions in the oval office and shoot people on 5th avenue and you won't care.

-following not directed at you

This is why Trump likes the poorly educated.

"Educated", my a$$!

The word is 'informed', perhaps?

But then again, this 'poorly educated/informed' Trump supporter told 'you' not only Trump was going to win , but I also said HOW he was going to achieve it.

As Casey Stengel once said:  "You can look that up!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »
   Us #Nevers knew even before the election was over there was never gonna be any swamp draining, that's not how the Donald rolls.  His first 2 appointments, Reince and Bannon  were all the proof anyone BUT hard core Trumpsters needed.  It is quite entertaining though watching you people twist yourself into a pretzel defending his logic.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »
   Us #Nevers knew even before the election was over there was never gonna be any swamp draining, that's not how the Donald rolls.  His first 2 appointments, Reince and Bannon  were all the proof anyone BUT hard core Trumpsters needed.  It is quite entertaining though watching you people twist yourself into a pretzel defending his logic.

@corbe

Anyone who claims to know what Trump will do or say on any particular subject are full of it.   The man is unstable.

Still better than Hillary so far though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 06:42:21 pm »
I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care. This does not indicate a betrayal to me.

Maybe so, but you have been duped to high heaven.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »
I already know that the die-hard NeverTrumpers are going to jump me for saying this, but I don't care. This does not indicate a betrayal to me. On the contrary, it indicates a man who is serious, and wants to get down to the actual business of doing the job.

You people are shameless, and without principles - just like the drones for Obama are.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 06:49:02 pm »

Having read the article twice, all I get from this is that Trump is saying that he wants to tone down the rhetoric. He never said that he is no longer interested in reforming D.C. All he said is that the bumper sticker slogans that were used during the campaign have no use in actually getting the job done.

/snicker

Self-delusion is so pathetic.  You voted for him because he would build the wall and drain the swamp - that is what he promised - and now you're simply lying to us, and to yourself, because you can't stand the realization that you were nothing but a tool, a nobody used by a man who doesn't give a rats a$$ about you. 

So far, other than the fact that there were so many gullible Americans that he actually got elected (about which we were wrong) we #nevertrumps have been spot on about this guy.

And after the calumny and insults you Trump-lovers hurled at us, we are not going to let you forget and conveniently pretend that this is what you wanted all along.  We will not suffer your hypocrisy gladly, or lightly. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 06:53:37 pm »

Very predictable responses, from very predictable people.

Say what you want of me. But I still have confidence that all of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Hell, he has already done more to 'drain the swamp' just with his cabinet picks than Bush/Obama did in eight years.

But, none the less, carry on with your hate-fest. Please don't let me interrupt.
I already know that nothing will ever change your mind.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »
Drain the Swamp?
I'll bet they aren't even looking for the drain plug!

Offline mirvin

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »
sarcasm on\

Whew, if we only could have had Hillary in office right now instead of Trump!!!

\sarcasm off
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 07:04:11 pm »
Say what you want of me. But I still have confidence that all of you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Hell, he has already done more to 'drain the swamp' just with his cabinet picks than Bush/Obama did in eight years.

Come now.  For all that Trump seems to be setting a particular tone -- not all bad -- the truth is that his cabinet picks have done nothing as yet, and cannot do so until confirmed.  No swamps have yet been touched, much less drained.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 07:04:53 pm »
sarcasm on\

Whew, if we only could have had Hillary in office right now instead of Trump!!!

\sarcasm off

Argument by strawman is also pathetic. 

If only we could have had a real republican in office, somebody who didn't need to lie to get elected, and who wasn't turning his back on real republican goals.  But the Trump-lovers foreclosed that option when they bought it to the bull$hit during the primaries. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mirvin

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »
"Argument by strawman is also pathetic."

Freepers ban me because I'm a troll because I question Trump.
TBR patrons say I use straw man arguments because the choice was between Trump or Clinton.

Definition of a Straw Man: merriam-webster:  a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

My argument: If Trump didn't win, then Clinton wins.  Doesn't appear to be imaginary or weak.

I guess I can't win.

Maybe I can push "fallacy of false dilemma" next time.  :-)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 07:16:27 pm »
He's not even in office yet and listening to the blowhard Newt trying once again to make himself relevant..I'll wait and see what actually happens
Support the USO

Offline r9etb

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 07:17:11 pm »
Argument by strawman is also pathetic. 

If only we could have had a real republican in office, somebody who didn't need to lie to get elected, and who wasn't turning his back on real republican goals.  But the Trump-lovers foreclosed that option when they bought it to the bull$hit during the primaries.

That's something of a strawman, too.  People voted for Trump for a lot of reasons: voting against Hillary Clinton, for example; or simply out of frustration with the status quo and liberal smugness.  Trump was able to tap into all of this, and surprised a lot of us by winning -- and I suspect people voted for him even knowing that he was bullshitting with a lot of what he said.

There are those who will feel betrayed by the fact that Trump never meant a lot of what he promised.  Reasonable people knew that going in.