Author Topic: UN Rights Chief Wants Duterte's Murder Claims Investigated  (Read 419 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
UN Rights Chief Wants Duterte's Murder Claims Investigated
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:04:31 pm »
UN Rights Chief Wants Duterte's Murder Claims Investigated

The top human rights official at the United Nations on Tuesday called for an investigation of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte after Duterte claimed he personally killed several alleged criminals.

UN Human Rights Commissioner Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein called on Philippine authorities to launch a murder investigation into claims Duterte made Friday in which he said he shot and killed “about three” men while serving as mayor of the city of Davao.

It's “unthinkable for any functioning judicial system not to launch investigative and judicial proceedings when someone has openly admitted being a killer,” Zeid said.

Duterte has said during recent speeches that he used to ride around Davao on big a motorcycle looking for criminals he could kill in order to have police officers emulate him.

Continued: http://www.voanews.com/a/un-rights-chief-wants-to-investigate-duterte/3643594.html

I'd find it hard for any head-of-state, at least from a large nation to ever meet with Duterte unless he could somehow make some amends.  We will see, China? Singapore?

geronl

Re: UN Rights Chief Wants Duterte's Murder Claims Investigated
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »
probably impossible to investigate this stuff now

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
80% of the country is applauding Duterte getting the drug criminals and users off the street.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:33:47 pm »
80% of the country is applauding Duterte getting the drug criminals and users off the street.

I don't know much about what's going on there, but I've been there, and I could certainly see some situations where executive action is required.  If the drugs are that bad...well, maybe it's necessary.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 08:51:55 pm »

Wait until his people slaughter a bunch of innocent children in a crossfire. Drug user Duterte doesn't care if a lot of innocents die any more than he cares about the rule of law.

He is a lawless tyrant, pure and simple.

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 10:09:52 pm »
I don't know much about what's going on there, but I've been there, and I could certainly see some situations where executive action is required.  If the drugs are that bad...well, maybe it's necessary.

Drugs weren't an in-your-face, violent threat in the Philippines (unlike Mexico).

Yes, there were drugs and drug users and organized crime controlling it.  But, to my knowledge, it was lower-key (kinda like Miami in the 1980s).  There was violence between drug gangs, but it didn't seem to spill out into the civilian population or into the tourist industry.

The biggest issue in the Philippines is the Islamic insurgency in the south of the country.  Abu Sayyif has been a thorn in the country ever since the Moro insurgency died down.