Author Topic: African-Americans should stop lionizing Castro as champion of black liberation  (Read 601 times)

rangerrebew

It's not black and white
12/2/16 10:10 AM   
African-Americans should stop lionizing Castro as champion of black liberation
Tim Rogers/ Fusion
Related Videos

By Kimberly R. Lyle

I didn’t live in the Jim Crow south, or endure the Great Migration. But that’s my heritage. I wasn’t born in Cuba, and didn’t flee the island. But that, too, is my heritage.

My lineage is that of black people leaving their homelands under stifling oppression and tyranny, from Alabama to the City of Guantánamo. So I understand the U.S.’ tyranny against black Americans, and also Fidel Castro’s tyranny against black Cubans.

In the days since Castro’s death, I’ve read hundreds of hot takes about him. Overwhelmingly, the opinions of Americans who clearly have no connection to or stake in Cuba seem to be based more on Castro’s discourse than his actions. Pseudo-intellectuals, casual observers, and “super fans” seem to understand Castro only as mythologized figure.

http://fusion.net/story/373379/african-americans-should-stop-lionizing-castro-as-champion-of-black-liberation/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:17:15 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Black Lives Matter Praises Fidel Castro As An Ideal Revolutionary
By John Walsh @jrwalsh7 On 11/28/16 AT 12:52 PM

The Black Lives Matter movement mourned the death of former Cuban leader Fidel Castro in a statement Sunday, saying they were similarly on a “revolution” to create a world of “freedom” and “peace.” The statement hailed the authoritarian dictator and staunch U.S. adversary who ruled Cuba for almost 50 years as an ideal revolutionary leader because of his insistence that healthy food, clean water, healthcare, paid vacations and education were all “requirements of any humane society,” while the freedom of “oppressed people” remained prevalent in the U.S. among “people of color” in places like North Dakota.

“As Fidel ascends to the realm of the ancestors, we summon his guidance, strength, and power as we recommit ourselves to the struggle for universal freedom. Fidel Vive!” the statement said.

Titled “Lessons from Fidel: Black Lives Matter and the Transition of El Comandante,” the statement said group members were “indebted” to the Cuban revolutionary leader for providing “a space where the traditional spiritual work of African people could flourish.” The Black Lives Matter movement cited Castro providing resources to the desperate people of Haiti after an earthquake in 2010 left more than 300,000 dead, and his  “attempting” to support the black people of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, while the U.S. government “left us to die on rooftops and in floodwaters,” as examples of Castro’s dedication toward the plight of black individuals. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/black-lives-matter-praises-fidel-castro-ideal-revolutionary-2451744

I don't think either Colin Kapernak or Black Lives Matter have studied history's mistakes. 10631
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:22:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Is there a more racist country on the planet than Cuba?

Offline dfwgator

Eldridge Cleaver found that out.   When he came back from Cuba, he became a Conservative Republican.