Author Topic: Simple Explanation for the Political and Press Hysteria over Trump Election Victory  (Read 20697 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No one can deny there is a symbiotic relationship between the press and the creatures we call "professional politicians. They both prosper and get fat from feeding from the same "feed troughs",and the career advancements of both are based on the "You scratch my back,and I'll scratch yours" method.

Any outside influence that becomes a factor that threatens the survival or the advancement of either side,threatens the survival and advancement of the other side of that couple.

EVERYONE understands that you don't start at the top of either power structure. You start at the bottom,kiss a LOT of ass,take a LOT of crap from people you don't like,many of whom you may never even see again,and "make your bones" by blindly and wholeheartedly supporting those 1 or more steps higher on the political or media food chain than you are. As they lose their positions by being fired,not being elected,retiring,or dying,everyone on that particular food chain get to make a lateral move to a slightly more important slot on the food chain,or move up a spot on the food chain.

That is the process everyone understands and agrees to in order to prove they are the team players they need to be in order to become media commissars or political royalty.

The "System" IS their religion,and they are all true believers who hope to one day become priests,or even Popes if they play their cards right.

Then Trump comes along,and blows their religion right out of the water. He's NOT a team player,he has NOT advanced his way up through their "farm system" one step at a time,and he owes nobody any favors. Worse of all from THEIR POV,he orbited close enough to the world of the elites in the political and media world that he has as much dirt on them as they do on him,so he is virtually bulletproof. By virtue of winning the Presidency as his first public office,he has made a mockery of them and everything they have accomplished in their lives that makes them feel like they are somebody important and "special".

Probably what hurts them the most is the CERTAIN knowledge that if they had taken him seriously from the start they could have probably torpedoed his victory in the primaries. Instead they just arrogantly assumed that their Queen was going to be crowned,and did nothing to bring him down. They most likely even worked in the background without his knowledge to help him win the primary.

Now they are left with trying to come up with excuses to justify their loss,and to lessen the damages they have done to their own self-images. All they have came up with so far is "It was the Russians,I tell you,the Russians! They hacked the Queens emails that she sent out unsecured,I tell ya! EEEK! EEEEK! EEEEK!"

Is there ANYBODY reading this that doesn't understand that EVERY major nation out there does their damnedest to "read the mail" of competitor nations in order to gain some sort of advantage for themselves,and that this includes US?

It's been that way from the time when there were no nations,only wandering tribes. Each tribe spied on the other tribe to try to gain an advantage. The only thing new is computers make is SOOO much easier to "read the mail" of your enemies. This is especially true when it is the mail of an arrogant "entitled" bitch that thinks it's "her turn to be President" and that email security and all other forms of security are the worry of the "little people".

If Trump can come in from out of the blue and take over the most important job/position in the country,how safe are THEIR jobs?

Selfish Self-Interest. That IS what it is all about.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:04:03 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Bingo! You make a number of really good points, some of which pertain to all governments everywhere throughout the history of mankind.  The weak link is the frailty of human beings - we have unseemly traits that cover everything from greed, to revenge to job self-preservation.

Entire books have been written about the unseemly yet symbiotic relationship between the press and political players.

Thousands of pages could be written about Crony Capitalism, and those just off the top of my head.

Extortion is a subject much less addressed, but it is alive and well in Washington.  Tony Soprano never had it so good.  A quick quote from Peter Schweizer's book, THROW THEM ALL OUT, sums it up well.

Even  beyond  the  more  obvious  conflicts-of-interest  which  are  involved,  Washington  politicians  are becoming highly adept at extortion. They threaten businesses, individuals and entire industries with harmful legislation which then gets withdrawn when campaign contributions are forthcoming. These are termed “juicer bills” or “milker bills”, so-named after their ability to “milk” campaign contributions and personal investment favors from businesses and industries. These are powerful weapons which politicians have no trouble using.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Posted to Above the Fold.

Nice little analysis - and yep, you nailed Trump's effect on the chairwarmers.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Nice work, Sneakypete!  And thanks to the Management for putting this Above the Fold!

It's a good theory about why the presstitutes are all anti-Trump.  It's not just because he threatens their pals, he threatens them as well.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Posted to Above the Fold.

Nice little analysis - and yep, you nailed Trump's effect on the chairwarmers.

@EC

Thanks.

The creatures we call "professional politicans" have a "Farm Team" system. Regardless of which branch of the ruling party you run under,if you are not born into a "noble family" like the Bushes,Kennedy's,Clinton's,etc,etc,etc,you are expected to start at the bottom and kiss the rings of those above you while doing the dirty grunt work,practically for free. As you advance up through the system,you have newbies under YOU,kissing YOUR ring. Amongst other things.

Think of professional politics as a Union,and professional politicians and their drones as shop stewards and craft employees,and suddenly it will all make sense.

Then comes this "Scab" (non-Union) candidate along,and he breaks the  union monopoly. Suddenly the whole Farm Team system is destroyed. IF the "scab" is allowed to get away with it,and shop stewards and their bosses suddenly not only don't have any power,they also don't  have any access to cash from above OR from below. After all,who is going to donate money to them if they are not in a position to do "favors" in return?

Even worse,there is a chance some of the system's slaves will wake up and see how they have been used and abused all these years,and there won't be a voter base for them to count on anymore. It will be "every man for himself",their worse nightmares come true. Hell,some of them may even have to get actual jobs where they do actual work,instead of having lunches ,deep sea fishing excursions,cocktail parties,weekends at the Hamptons,and golf games where they discuss "business" away from the recording devices and note takers?

No wonder the political movers and shakers and their wannabe serfs are in a full-tilt panic.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT trying to claim this was why Trump decided to go for it once he won the primary. There was no nobility of cause moment. There was nothing but ego and wanting to be the ultimate "winner".

Still,if his presidency serves to topple the power of some of the families that have controlled American politics and budgets since the time of the Revolutionary War in some cases,he will have done a noble thing,even if by accident.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:39:16 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Thousands of pages could be written about Crony Capitalism, and those just off the top of my head.

@Hondo69

The ultimate irony is that Communism is the end result of out of control Crony Capitalism. You end up having a very few powerful families controlling a whole nation,and ultimately,the whole world.

And make no mistake about it,that is the ultimate goal no matter what adjective they attach to it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Multiple articles on this subject.

How Have American Media Changed from Walter Cronkite's Era? Significance, Context Often Are Lacking, MU Media Expert Says

@bigheadfred

The title made me decide to not read it because it implies Cronkite was honest. He was one of the biggest liars in our nation's  history,as well as one of the people who worked hard to destroy our Republic.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@bigheadfred

The title made me decide to not read it because it implies Cronkite was honest. He was one of the biggest liars in our nation's  history,as well as one of the people who worked hard to destroy our Republic.

I agree, which is why I chose to read the other article Fred posted, from The Federalist.  I recommend it.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/15/5-ways-the-media-can-regain-the-public-trust/

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@bigheadfred

I wasn't trying to laud Cronkite. Just pointing out the difference between the way news was reported then and now. From the article:

"Television and media are so different than when Cronkite was on-air; in his era, people put aside time for the news...it was an event," said Winfield, University of Missouri Curators' Professor in Journalism. "Today, we have 24-hour, nonstop news with many different anchors and journalists. During Cronkite's era, there were only a few choices. When he spoke, people weren't bored, they were engaged."

"During Cronkite's time, news stations were owned by individuals who took pride in the news being reported. Now, there are corporations whose interests are faceless because they only care about beating the competition."

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I agree, which is why I chose to read the other article Fred posted, from The Federalist.  I recommend it.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/15/5-ways-the-media-can-regain-the-public-trust/

@Cyber Liberty

Thanks for the tip. I did read that one,and to be honest,it scared me a little. We,the American people,are just now starting to make a LITTLE headway in correcting the corruption and nepotism in the media and politics by forcing them into a corner where they expose themselves,and I personally don't want them learning any lessons from their most recent defeat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Thanks for the tip. I did read that one,and to be honest,it scared me a little. We,the American people,are just now starting to make a LITTLE headway in correcting the corruption and nepotism in the media and politics by forcing them into a corner where they expose themselves,and I personally don't want them learning any lessons from their most recent defeat.

The nagging feeling I got while reading that story is they haven't learned it yet, so you're in good company, Pete.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Our citizenry has changed as well.  What suffices today for analysis by talking heads would have been laughed out of the room a few decades ago.

I have seen with my own eyes a round table discussion on CNN an in-depth analysis of why Obama took control of GM.  To a person they went around the table, all nodding and repeating the exact same phrase, "He had to do it", "He had to do it".

That's it.  The sum total of the assembled brain trust was "He had to do it".  No details, no explanation, not even a string of lies.  Five simple words would do the trick.

A few decades ago 90% of Americans sitting at home would throw their shoes at the TV and vow to never watch CNN again for such a blatant insult to their intelligence.  Today's citizenry has changed, no explanations required.  It's beyond an outrage, it's beyond a disgrace, it is un-American.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Very incisive piece of work. Thanks for posting it.
I particularly agree strongly with and applaud you pointing out how the left did everything it could to help Trump defeat the other GOP primary candidates because the overwhelming numbers of 'Crats believed strongly ( in many cases passionately) that DJT was the weakest candidate of all to oppose Hill-O-Lies in the general.

I remember once saying to some arrogant 'Crat on a comments section who was gloating about Trump's assent in the primaries, warning him to, "be careful what you ask for, Bunky. Sometimes such things have a way of turning around, biting one on the *ss and injecting venom"!

I'd only add that there is also an element of envy in their resentment. Not only because he is what few if any of them will ever hope to be (billionaires) but he also mastered the use of words as munitions, which was heretofore a strictly inside-the-Beltway and leftist specialty. He's like a guy who never used a gun before who picked up a Colt and proceeded to win one fast-draw contest after another. There is likely a, "this cannot be happening," aspect to their frustrated rage. 

And last but not least, the bureaucracy is no longer a meritocracy (if it ever was) and Trump is a return to or worse, a realignment with meritocratic hierarchy instead of nepotistic hierarchy for government service. That's got to stick in the bureaucracy's craw. How DARE someone come in a demand that everyone do their jobs efficiently, ethically and according to their job descriptions or be in danger of being forced out!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:33:04 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Well done pete.  Thanks for composing and posting.  I'm always grateful for original thought - particularly from other members. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline skeeter

Thanks for the treatise.

People need to understand - bureaucracies have certain universal traits... they exist for their own sakes, they are inclined on their own to grow and grow, they are cold blooded and brutal, etc.

The government is a bureaucracy that projects power from the barrel of a gun. And as you point out, politicians are its high priests.

At best its a necessary evil requiring voters to tightly control it. Because unchecked it will lead us into slavery.

What we don't know now is will Trump lead from the outside, or will he become co-opted by it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I'd only add that there is also an element of envy in their resentment. Not only because he is what few if any of them will ever hope to be (billionaires) but he also mastered the use of words as munitions, which was heretofore a strictly inside-the-Beltway and leftist specialty. He's like a guy who never used a gun before who picked up a Colt and proceeded to win one fast-draw contest after another. There is likely a, "this cannot be happening," aspect to their frustrated rage. 

And last but not least, the bureaucracy is no longer a meritocracy (if it ever was) and Trump is a return to or worse, a realignment with meritocratic hierarchy instead of nepotistic hierarchy for government service. That's got to stick in the bureaucracy's craw. How DARE someone come in a demand that everyone do their jobs efficiently, ethically and according to their job descriptions or be in danger of being forced out!

@LateForLunch

Since I tried to make those very points myself,I heartily agree with both!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well done pete.  Thanks for composing and posting.  I'm always grateful for original thought - particularly from other members.

@Lando Lincoln

Thanks! It's always nice to get some positive feedback.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Thanks for the treatise.

People need to understand - bureaucracies have certain universal traits... they exist for their own sakes, they are inclined on their own to grow and grow, they are cold blooded and brutal, etc.

The government is a bureaucracy that projects power from the barrel of a gun. And as you point out, politicians are its high priests.

At best its a necessary evil requiring voters to tightly control it. Because unchecked it will lead us into slavery.

What we don't know now is will Trump lead from the outside, or will he become co-opted by it.

@skeeter

The point you made that I highlighted was one understood VERY well by the Founding Fathers. Those are the very reasons they thought it necessary to set us up as a Representative Republic,and not a democracy.

As I have written earlier,I was a VERY reluctant Trump voter.  In fact,I only decided to vote for him the day before the election. After thinking about it long and hard I came up with two reasons that were to ME indisputable reasons why I HAD to vote for him.

1:To keep the Clinton's out of the White House.

2: The one thing most people hate about Trump. His MASSIVE ego. The Clinton's and the Bushes as well as the other criminals typical to this class of con artist seek power to enrich themselves. If push comes to shove,they flat don't give a damn if everybody on the planet hates them as long as they have money and the power it gives them.

Trump already has money. He has always had money.  I am sure it has never even occurred to him that he would ever NOT have money.

He is also a narcissistic sociopath that has also always had that massive ego,and directly tied to his condition is his overwhelming desire to be a "winner". Trump is ALWAYS a "winner". It is other people who are "losers".

MY thinking is that once he gets into office and starts making decisions it will dawn on him that he isn't making decisions for Trump anymore. He's making decisions for the history books that will be written after he leaves office,and the one thing he fears more than death is going down in the history books as a loser. There will be no way he can lie his way out of decisions that are made public for everyone on the planet to see that bothers to look.

So,to sum up a long story in a short sentence,in MY opinion there is a very good CHANCE his mental condition will force him to put America first and be successful as a president,to the exclusion of all else. He loves himself so much he doesn't give a damn if anyone else loves him or not,and he doesn't need the money. What he DOES need like most of us need oxygen,is to have people recognize and applaud his successes.

Bubbette!,on the other hand,was solely focused on how much of America she could steal for personal profits,and how she could use the power of the feral government to punish any of the "little people" who got in her way.

Looking at it that way,the decision to vote for Trump ended up being the easiest decision I have ever made,even though I still don't like him. It ain't about what *I* like or dislike. It's about what is good for America.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

The point you made that I highlighted was one understood VERY well by the Founding Fathers. Those are the very reasons they thought it necessary to set us up as a Representative Republic,and not a democracy.

As I have written earlier,I was a VERY reluctant Trump voter.  In fact,I only decided to vote for him the day before the election. After thinking about it long and hard I came up with two reasons that were to ME indisputable reasons why I HAD to vote for him.

1:To keep the Clinton's out of the White House.

2: The one thing most people hate about Trump. His MASSIVE ego. The Clinton's and the Bushes as well as the other criminals typical to this class of con artist seek power to enrich themselves. If push comes to shove,they flat don't give a damn if everybody on the planet hates them as long as they have money and the power it gives them.

Trump already has money. He has always had money.  I am sure it has never even occurred to him that he would ever NOT have money.

He is also a narcissistic sociopath that has also always had that massive ego,and directly tied to his condition is his overwhelming desire to be a "winner". Trump is ALWAYS a "winner". It is other people who are "losers".

MY thinking is that once he gets into office and starts making decisions it will dawn on him that he isn't making decisions for Trump anymore. He's making decisions for the history books that will be written after he leaves office,and the one thing he fears more than death is going down in the history books as a loser. There will be no way he can lie his way out of decisions that are made public for everyone on the planet to see that bothers to look.

So,to sum up a long story in a short sentence,in MY opinion there is a very good CHANCE his mental condition will force him to put America first and be successful as a president,to the exclusion of all else. He loves himself so much he doesn't give a damn if anyone else loves him or not,and he doesn't need the money. What he DOES need like most of us need oxygen,is to have people recognize and applaud his successes.

Bubbette!,on the other hand,was solely focused on how much of America she could steal for personal profits,and how she could use the power of the feral government to punish any of the "little people" who got in her way.

Looking at it that way,the decision to vote for Trump ended up being the easiest decision I have ever made,even though I still don't like him. It ain't about what *I* like or dislike. It's about what is good for America.

I had a discussion with a friend today about this very thing. Trump - warts, mental baggage and all - was the only person running who owes absolutely nothing to the system over which he will preside. Will he lead with an eye on his place in history or will he play to the system that will be constantly ingratiating themselves to him & appealing to his yuge ego throughout the next four years?

Far better men than he have surrender to the bureaucracy. We shall see.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Far better men than he have surrender to the bureaucracy. We shall see.

@skeeter

That's the point. His weakness MAY force him to be the best president he can be,regardless of any and all of the baubles waved in his face.

Can you think of ANYTHING scarier to a narcissistic sociopath than the sure knowledge that every school child in the future,including his own descendants,will lean in school that he was an incompetent president and a loser?

This ain't a few editorials in newspapers that will go on files and never seen again 6 months after he leaves office. This is "history books for perpetuity" stuff. I honestly can't think of anything that could scare him more.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:40:15 pm by sneakypete »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@skeeter

Yet, in a way, Trump owes EVERYTHING he has to that system. Without the crony capitalism, tax loop holes, bad trade deals, self-dealing, etc., he would be another nowhere man.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
@skeeter

Yet, in a way, Trump owes EVERYTHING he has to that system. Without the crony capitalism, tax loop holes, bad trade deals, self-dealing, etc., he would be another nowhere man.

With all due respect (and that is great) since these factors mentioned above were all present at the various times that some of DJT's enterprises went belly up over the years, would it also be fair to maintain that those failures were attributable to the presence of these same external factors? If they were more influential than his own efforts/resources in creating his successes would they not also dominate the dynamics of his failures? 

Plenty of people have the advantages / opportunities that DJT had but did not establish a string of successes which earned them billions. 

Your appraisal comes perilously close to the notion that all great success by corporations or multinational companies derives from little more than luck (nods to Kurt Vonnegut) the ability / willingness to shrewdly manipulate a hopelessly corrupt system using predominately immoral means (Karl Marx).

Although that may be true of some billionaires (more than a few far leftists I could name who seem rather dull-witted at their core, may owe more to luck than skill), there are other successful billion-dollar companies for which success seems to emanate from their CEO's/owner's capabilities to invest private resources effectively in a capitalist free market economy.

Steve Wynn is one that comes to mind and his success is very similar to Trump's. 

The application of Ockham's Razor (the proposition that the conclusion requiring the least number of assumptions is likely to be correct) seems to leave at least a skeletal form for DJT which derives its substance from merit of some variety and not primarily external elements for which he can claim no responsibility nor receive credit. 

All that being said, it is certainly possible that DJT owes his own success more to dumb luck and an ability to understand the dynamics of corruption. I just wonder if it is possible using the knowledge that is available to make that positive statement with any authority.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:27:15 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Probably what hurts them the most is the CERTAIN knowledge that if they had taken him seriously from the start they could have probably torpedoed his victory in the primaries. Instead they just arrogantly assumed that their Queen was going to be crowned,and did nothing to bring him down. They most likely even worked in the background without his knowledge to help him win the primary.

I'm reminded of an observation a conservative author once made regarding Sen. Joseph McCarthy: if we must suffer
his like, it's usually because more responsible men and women fail to see the very real issue(s) that animate his like.

The same can be said fairly about Donaldus Minimus: the Republican Party turned a deaf or at least selective ear
for too long to very real issues that animated and aggravated the country. Add to that a group of contenders in the
primaries who seemed just as tone deaf, and none of their missives against Donaldus Minimus's real flaws stuck.

I was grateful to have "None of These Candidates" as an option in my state. We couldn't have had a worse choice of
major party candidates if they'd yielded up a competition between Caligula and Queen Athaliah.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm reminded of an observation a conservative author once made regarding Sen. Joseph McCarthy: if we must suffer
his like, it's usually because more responsible men and women fail to see the very real issue(s) that animate his like.

The same can be said fairly about Donaldus Minimus: the Republican Party turned a deaf or at least selective ear
for too long to very real issues that animated and aggravated the country. Add to that a group of contenders in the
primaries who seemed just as tone deaf, and none of their missives against Donaldus Minimus's real flaws stuck.

I was grateful to have "None of These Candidates" as an option in my state. We couldn't have had a worse choice of
major party candidates if they'd yielded up a competition between Caligula and Queen Athaliah.

@EasyAce

No kidding. Why is it such a surprise to so many people that Trump won,when we could have picked a name at random out of a phone book that was not connected to the DNC or RNC,and that candidate would have won? Maybe even with a bigger slice of the votes?

It's PAST time for the political professionals to quit bitching about what the voters do,and actually give us someone worth voting for if they want our votes.