Author Topic: Cooper threatens to sue over North Carolina GOP 'power grab'  (Read 395 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cooper threatens to sue over North Carolina GOP 'power grab'
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »

Cooper threatens to sue over North Carolina GOP 'power grab'

Legislation proposed by Republicans would strip the governor of some authority.

By Kevin Robillard

12/15/16 11:43 AM EST

North Carolina Gov.-elect Roy Cooper, a Democrat, on Thursday threatened to sue North Carolina's GOP-dominated state Legislature over the Republicans' push to sharply limit gubernatorial powers before Cooper takes office.

"If I believe these measures are unconstitutional, they will see me in court and they don't have a good track record there," Cooper, currently the state attorney general, said at a news conference. Cooper said the Legislature was pushing to pass major changes to the state's laws "in the dark of night with little debate." The new bills are being considered as part of a special session originally convened to consider disaster relief.

"Most people might think this is a partisan power grab, but it's really more ominous," Cooper said.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/roy-cooper-republican-power-grab-north-carolina-232682
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Cooper threatens to sue over North Carolina GOP 'power grab'
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:02 pm »
So he's planning to take the state legislature to court for passing legislation before he becomes governor and can veto it?  Good luck with that...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Cooper threatens to sue over North Carolina GOP 'power grab'
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:38:02 am »
He promised to "get things done".  Apparently he doedn't think he needs the legislayure's cooperation.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.