Author Topic: Gov. John Kasich vetoes Heartbeat Bill, signs 20-week abortion ban  (Read 9323 times)

Offline libertybele

I am a little surprised that he didn't try to get the necessary votes for the Heartbeat Bill.

Gov. John Kasich vetoes Heartbeat Bill, signs 20-week abortion ban

While describing himself as a champion for the sanctity of life, Gov. John Kasich vetoed a bill Tuesday that would have forbidden abortions once a fetal heartbeat could be detected.

The second-term Republican, however, did sign into law a second bill, a GOP-backed lame-duck measure banning abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy — providing an exception for saving the mother's life but none for rape or incest.

The Heartbeat Bill's foremost champion, Janet Porter of Faith2Action, immediately denounced Kasich's "betrayal of life" and promised a campaign to find the necessary votes in the House to override the governor's veto. The Senate's vote was veto-proof on what would have been the nation's most stringent abortion law.

...The new abortion regulations, which will take effect in 90 days unless a court halts them, will make it a fourth-degree felony for a physician to perform an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy when the fetus is viable. The crime is punishable by up to 18 months in prison. A conviction also would result in the loss of a physician's medical license.

Majority Republicans in the General Assembly passed both measures over Democratic objections during last week's lame-duck session, and Kasich acted within hours of the bills reaching his desk Tuesday...

Ohio Right to Life President Michael Gonidakis supported Kasich’s decision to veto the Heartbeat Bill, which the group opposed. “The 20-week ban was nationally designed to be the vehicle to end abortion in America. It challenges the current national abortion standard and properly moves the legal needle from viability to the baby’s ability to feel pain,” Gonidakis said....

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/13/John-Kasich-acts-on-abortion-bills.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Gov. John Kasich vetoes Heartbeat Bill, signs 20-week abortion ban
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »
He's obviously trying to please both sides.  Some how I feel that neither will be happy.

@libertybele I don't think he wanted to get those votes.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »
He's obviously trying to please both sides.  Some how I feel that neither will be happy.

In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit.

-Ayn Rand-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

geronl

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:21:23 pm »
The straight-up ban will probably get tossed by a judge in a heartbeat, The heartbeat bill would actually force the other side to come up with new arguments.

Offline HatingOrange

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:21:58 pm »
I am a little surprised that he didn't try to get the necessary votes for the Heartbeat Bill.

Gov. John Kasich vetoes Heartbeat Bill, signs 20-week abortion ban

While describing himself as a champion for the sanctity of life, Gov. John Kasich vetoed a bill Tuesday that would have forbidden abortions once a fetal heartbeat could be detected.

The second-term Republican, however, did sign into law a second bill, a GOP-backed lame-duck measure banning abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy — providing an exception for saving the mother's life but none for rape or incest.

The Heartbeat Bill's foremost champion, Janet Porter of Faith2Action, immediately denounced Kasich's "betrayal of life" and promised a campaign to find the necessary votes in the House to override the governor's veto. The Senate's vote was veto-proof on what would have been the nation's most stringent abortion law.

...The new abortion regulations, which will take effect in 90 days unless a court halts them, will make it a fourth-degree felony for a physician to perform an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy when the fetus is viable. The crime is punishable by up to 18 months in prison. A conviction also would result in the loss of a physician's medical license.

Majority Republicans in the General Assembly passed both measures over Democratic objections during last week's lame-duck session, and Kasich acted within hours of the bills reaching his desk Tuesday...

Ohio Right to Life President Michael Gonidakis supported Kasich’s decision to veto the Heartbeat Bill, which the group opposed. “The 20-week ban was nationally designed to be the vehicle to end abortion in America. It challenges the current national abortion standard and properly moves the legal needle from viability to the baby’s ability to feel pain,” Gonidakis said....

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/13/John-Kasich-acts-on-abortion-bills.html
What a total waste of time and money.  Abortion is legal here, kids, for good reason.

And if you don't want it used as Birth Control, which it has been forever, start passing out the condoms and pills like candy.  You can't have it both ways.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »

Offline HatingOrange

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »
Pray tell, what is this good reason?
There are many reasons actually, including deformity, death, imminent death after birth, genetic disorders, too many fetuses for all too survive, and a host of issues wherein the fetus is killing the woman or she, because of health reasons, age, capacity, etc. should not carry to term.  Induced abortion is, in the end and it always has been, a medical procedure.  And it's a very safe one.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »
There are many reasons actually, including deformity, death, imminent death after birth, genetic disorders, too many fetuses for all too survive, and a host of issues wherein the fetus is killing the woman or she, because of health reasons, age, capacity, etc. should not carry to term.  Induced abortion is, in the end and it always has been, a medical procedure.  And it's a very safe one.

and then the other 99% of abortions are...?

pretty much murder

Offline HatingOrange

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:54:38 pm »
and then the other 99% of abortions are...?

pretty much murder
Murder is for people.  Parasites, I know that's a but too harsh but the reality is the same, aren't persons.  If you want less abortion, produce better birth control.  I wouldn't mind if there was never another induced abortion but since I deal in reality that is not an option.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:59:13 pm »
Murder is for people.  Parasites, I know that's a but too harsh but the reality is the same, aren't persons.  If you want less abortion, produce better birth control.  I wouldn't mind if there was never another induced abortion but since I deal in reality that is not an option.

I think you registered at the wrong site..TBR is conservative...we don't consider unborn babies parasites...goodbye
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 08:01:38 pm »

babies are not parasites, you are in denial of reality

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »
Seems like a few DU types have been stopping by lately....  Is their site still down?

Offline HatingOrange

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:04:51 pm »
I think you registered at the wrong site..TBR is conservative...we don't consider unborn babies parasites...goodbye
No, I'm in exactly the right place.  Not in a bubble and not allowing your kind, for the time allowed, to live in one either.  If you want to know why liberalism matters and hating Trump is now the newest best game in town, just ask me.

Biology, BTW, doesn't give a damn what you think.  Trying to give birth can get you dead in a hurry.  That's just life on this rock.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FS7

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
No, I'm in exactly the right place.  Not in a bubble and not allowing your kind, for the time allowed, to live in one either.  If you want to know why liberalism matters and hating Trump is now the newest best game in town, just ask me.

Biology, BTW, doesn't give a damn what you think.  Trying to give birth can get you dead in a hurry.  That's just life on this rock.

Are you lost, son?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:51 pm »

Ah I didn't realize that you were the Pope, or Jesus, or something.

How exactly then do preemies survive despite not being 9 months along? And pray tell, what is the scientific difference between a baby just about to be born, and one that is born 5 minutes later? Twins are a good example of that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:11:46 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »
What a total waste of time and money.  Abortion is legal here, kids, for good reason.

And if you don't want it used as Birth Control, which it has been forever, start passing out the condoms and pills like candy.  You can't have it both ways.

What a cynical post. 

Abortion should not be legal and I support the heartbeat bill.  It is universally popular among real people and would pass in, well, in a heartbeat.

As for birth control, it is cheap and easy.  It's inexcusable not to use it if you don't want to get pregnant.  Anyone can get birth control... anyone.

The culture of evil really began when we started supporting abortion.  It has degraded the moral fiber of society.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:45 pm »
Murder is for people.  Parasites, I know that's a but too harsh but the reality is the same, aren't persons.

Do you describe infants the same way? 
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

geronl

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:55 pm »

The troll probably does

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:03 pm »

There's something very wrong with the hating orange guy.  Now, with sonograms and other technology we know that there's a baby in there.  A baby that has yet to be born, but a baby nevertheless.

If this were final and accepted ... this acceptance and encouragement of abortion, I mean, why would good people continue to fight so hard against it.

Because it is wrong.  It is the only social policy that I will go to the wall on.  I don't care who marries who, or who bakes a cake for who.  I care that babies are not murdered.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 08:59:35 pm »

Excuses all.  Bottom line is most abortions are performed simply because the baby is an inconvenience.

And death from childbirth is rare.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
Excuses all.  Bottom line is most abortions are performed simply because the baby is an inconvenience.

And death from childbirth is rare.

Totally agree.  The items he mentioned are far too rare to even be taken into consideration.

Offline Ancient

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
Using the lines you chose, you cannot defend mid-late term abortion.  Science may play games with the names, but the scientific facts are that all of the organs are formed months before the baby is born.  The only difference is size and location... do you want your rights defined by your size and location?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
"Better birth control"?  Well, there's one way that 100% and several others that are close.

And, as with everything else in this life, there's consequences to our actions.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 10:48:20 pm »
Using the lines you chose, you cannot defend mid-late term abortion.  Science may play games with the names, but the scientific facts are that all of the organs are formed months before the baby is born.  The only difference is size and location... do you want your rights defined by your size and location?

:amen:

Offline chae

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:58:21 pm »
I was adopted at 4 days old.  My bio father was married and gave my bio mother some money and told her to get an abortion.  She didn't. 
And as a result of a recent incident I talked about in the Member's Lounge, I have a pretty pink stun gun that I'd love to use on hating orange.