Author Topic: Donald Trump chooses Rick Perry to be energy secretary  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Donald Trump chooses Rick Perry to be energy secretary
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 08:35:38 pm »
My fantasy first statement Rick Perry makes to all employees of the Department:

"You're all fired and so am I. Goodbye"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Works for me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »
Perry is huge for alternative energy, spent billions and billions on it

I agree - he does not the best background for someone at DOE.

He favors alternative energy bigtime, and will likely continue to do so while DOE head.

We needed a true industry expert there, rather than some politician who will be vying to make a mark for himself so he can go take the next step once again in 2020.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:18 am »
I really disliked (understatement) the tone of the primary campaign Trump ran.  But his crack about Rick Perry wearing glasses so people will think he's smarter was pretty funny.

Anyway, I like the pick.

You think the glasses crack was funny?  All righty then.  I like the pick also.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 02:33:40 am »
I never 'got' all the Governor Good Hair jokes.  Yes, Rick Perry has nice hair but it is hardly ostentatious.   I mean, it's not John Kerry hair or Trump hair.

He's also called "Pointy Boots".  Sometimes when the personality is a bit lacking, people fixate on other characteristics.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 04:09:17 am »
One might think this means oil but it may well mean overseeing nuclear weapons; even from the left-wing press:
Rick Perry Will Really Run the Department of Nukes, Not Energy
The department spends most of its time and money on nuclear weapons, not oil, and played a critical role in the Iran deal.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/13/rick-perry-will-really-run-the-department-of-nukes-not-energy.html

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:04 pm »
One might think this means oil but it may well mean overseeing nuclear weapons; even from the left-wing press:

If you really look at the budget of the DOE, you will find that the bulk of the monies go toward environmental activities in promoting renewables, energy efficiencies and pollution mitigation.

The nuclear activities you mention include to make the nuclear stockpile safe and most are environmentally-oriented, not defense-related. 

The Department of Defense is historically the worst polluter in this country, and has stockpiled hazardous waste all over this country.  It is not the EPA so much as the DOE which attempts to mitigate this waste.
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/02/f29/FY2017BudgetinBrief_0.pdf
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
IMHO the real reason Perry was selected is he is a board member of Energy Transfer Partners (of which Trump used to own stock). Perry was also the former chairman of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission AND Perry also is Director  of Sunoco Logistics which is a partnership in Energy Transfers.  One of Perry's donors while he ran for president was Kelcy Warren, CEO of Energy Transfer Partners, who also served as a major donor to Trump's presidential campaign. As I have previously stated, Trump didn't take the job of presidency because of his patriotism, he saw it as an opportunity for him and his buddies to make a whole lot of money.

http://www.sunocologistics.com/Investors/Corporate-Governance/Directors-Officers/38/

http://www.energytransfer.com/company_overview.aspx
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 09:20:21 pm »
He's also called "Pointy Boots".  Sometimes when the personality is a bit lacking, people fixate on other characteristics.

Or sometimes when dealing with a good man who does a good job, people fixate on things they can make fun of.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:54 pm »
Or sometimes when dealing with a good man who does a good job, people fixate on things they can make fun of.

True, though that's probably not the case here.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »
Is it true that Trump has also selected Jeb Bush to be his Low-Energy Secretary?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

geronl

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 09:51:15 pm »

All of my criticism of Perry is based on his policies

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:54 pm »
All of my criticism of Perry is based on his policies

So when is the last time you said something positive about anyone?  Do you even remember?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:56:26 pm »
So when is the last time you said something positive about anyone?  Do you even remember?

Politicians and celebrities never deserve anything positive. I really liked Ted Cruz until he went limp and became Trump's kicked puppy.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
Politicians and celebrities never deserve anything positive. I really liked Ted Cruz until he went limp and became Trump's kicked puppy.

So you advocate either a continued negative perspective of all government leaders or having no leaders at all.

That is either a dour attitude taken or an avocation for lawlessness.

Wonder which is your preference?

I bet you may have meant to include the adjective career before the word politicians perhaps?  That may be something I would come closer to agreement with you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 12:12:02 am »
IMHO the real reason Perry was selected is he is a board member of Energy Transfer Partners (of which Trump used to own stock). Perry was also the former chairman of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission AND Perry also is Director  of Sunoco Logistics which is a partnership in Energy Transfers.  One of Perry's donors while he ran for president was Kelcy Warren, CEO of Energy Transfer Partners, who also served as a major donor to Trump's presidential campaign. As I have previously stated, Trump didn't take the job of presidency because of his patriotism, he saw it as an opportunity for him and his buddies to make a whole lot of money.

http://www.sunocologistics.com/Investors/Corporate-Governance/Directors-Officers/38/

http://www.energytransfer.com/company_overview.aspx

Hmmmm...."Six degrees of Separation"?

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/six-degrees-of-separation

A better question here is why would Trump want somebody to head an agency who, not long ago, wanted to dismantle the entire Department? 

And we all know that if you want to hire someone to dismantle something and save a few parts at the same time...it's Mitt Romney.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 01:17:30 am »

:hands:     Exactly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.