Author Topic: Mikhail Gorbachev: The man who lost an empire  (Read 990 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mikhail Gorbachev: The man who lost an empire
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:50:45 am »
Mikhail Gorbachev: The man who lost an empire

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has accused the West of "provoking Russia" and said the USSR collapsed in 1991 because of "treachery".

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow was given a rare interview with him, 25 years after the USSR's demise.

Mikhail Gorbachev, 85, has been having health problems. But his sense of humour is indestructible.

When we meet he points to his walking stick. "Look", he says, "now I need three legs to get around!"

Mr Gorbachev agreed to talk to me about the moment the world changed: the day the Soviet superpower fell apart.

Read More At: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38289333

Many of us do not like Putin, I don't; but on the other hand, that is their sphere of influence there and we should be aware of what is going on, what might upset Russia and so on.

geronl

Re: Mikhail Gorbachev: The man who lost an empire
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:26:17 am »
apparently it is the day that Putin loathes the most.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:08:19 pm »
Many of us do not like Putin, I don't; but on the other hand, that is their sphere of influence there and we should be aware of what is going on, what might upset Russia and so on.

So you are of the belief that we should let the USSR re-form?  Because that is what Putin wants.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:34:06 pm »
Per Gorbachev himself:

He attacks the West, too, accusing it of "provoking Russia".

"I'm sure that the Western press - and that includes you - has been given special instructions to discredit Putin and get rid of him. Not physically. Just to make sure he steps aside. But, as a result, his popularity rating here has reached 86%. Soon, it will be 120%!"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38289333

These things tend to backfire.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »
Per Gorbachev himself:

These things tend to backfire.

Seriously?  You're defending Putin?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »
To defend recent US foreign policy is to defend the failed policies of Obama, I'm for a free Ukraine; but people like Soros and the like should be nowhere around there.

Just look at the Middle East, one has to see, we've failed there largely over the past 8 years but Russia, Iran and Syria have plenty of blame too.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
To defend recent US foreign policy is to defend the failed policies of Obama, I'm for a free Ukraine; but people like Soros and the like should be nowhere around there.

Just look at the Middle East, one has to see, we've failed there largely over the past 8 years but Russia, Iran and Syria have plenty of blame too.

That's not an answer to my question.

Are you defending what Putin has done in the Crimea and Ukraine?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:03:19 pm »
That's not an answer to my question.

Are you defending what Putin has done in the Crimea and Ukraine?

Heck No, I don't defend what Putin has done, probably killed journalists and spies like that one in London. No way, do I defend Russian actions in Crimea or Ukraine including probably shooting down a passenger jet by the separatist rebels.

We should just understand that the Russians have their point of view too; and we should tread carefully as far as expanding our aims. I think Gorbachev knows this.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:17:40 pm »
Heck No, I don't defend what Putin has done, probably killed journalists and spies like that one in London. No way, do I defend Russian actions in Crimea or Ukraine including probably shooting down a passenger jet by the separatist rebels.

We should just understand that the Russians have their point of view too; and we should tread carefully as far as expanding our aims. I think Gorbachev knows this.

Thank you.  I'm glad you clarified that.

Putin has reacted the way he has for one simple reason...all of the countries that used to live under the iron thumb of the USSR have chosen to side with NATO and work to create a more free and open Europe.

That really chaps Vlad's @ss.  He'd like nothing more right now than to re-establish the old WARSAW Pact USSR.  He's getting pressure from old school hardline Generals and Politboro members on this as well as his having his own thoughts on the subject.

Right now he's pushing the U.S. and NATO into a fish or cut bait situation.  I'm afraid we're going to cut bait.  He's got more frontline troops on the Northern Ukrainian border than we have total in EUCOM and he knows it.  Unless Trump decides to work with the German's and reopen some of our old bases and put go to war troops there and/or put them in new places like Poland and the Baltics...Putin will continue to yank our chain.