Author Topic: Top 5 EPA Reforms That Scott Pruitt Will Likely Push  (Read 3502 times)

Online corbe

Top 5 EPA Reforms That Scott Pruitt Will Likely Push
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:41 am »
Posted by Johnathan Sargent on Monday, December 12th, 2016, 10:41 AM PERMALINK

Last week President-elect Donald Trump tapped Scott Pruitt, the Attorney General of Oklahoma, to lead the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In Trump’s announcement he praised Pruitt as an “expert in Constitutional law” and stated that he “brings a deep understanding of the impact of regulations on both the environment and the economy.” As Pruitt has demonstrated during his tenure as Attorney General, he will work to “ensure American taxpayers and business are no long subject to abusive EPA overreach and unconstitutional regulatory diktats”.

Under the Obama administration, the EPA has become a political weapon used to block economic investment and job creation. Since 2009 the EPA has introduced nearly 4,000 new rules that have hurt the livelihoods of millions of Americans and cost taxpayers billions of dollars. Mr. Pruitt understands the negative effects of the EPA’s overreach and the benefits of the free market and limited government.

Here are the 5 EPA reforms that could occur under Pruitt’s leadership:

1.Clean Power Plan. The rule mandates a 32 percent cut in the energy sector’s carbon emissions by 2030. As Attorney General, Pruitt has fought the Clean Power Plan at every stage, including in the draft stage before the rule was finalized last year. He has criticized the EPA for “ignoring the authority granted by Congress to states to regulate power plant emissions at their source”. This rule will undoubtedly be the top regulation for Pruitt to repeal as head of the EPA.

2.Waters of the U.S. Rule (WOTUS). The WOTUS rule drastically expands the EPA’s jurisdiction, making small waterways like wetlands and ponds subject to federal rules and permitting processes. Pruitt took charge along with 17 other states to block the implementation of this rule. He has called the rule a “devastating blow to private property rights and is an unlawful power grab by the EPA over virtually all bodies of water in the United States”.

3.Fracking Rule. This rule sets standards for well casing, transparency and wastewater storage for hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking” on federal land. Pruitt has long challenged the EPA’s failed attempts to link hydraulic fracturing to water contamination. He has stated that the hydraulic fracturing process is largely responsible for the boom in oil and gas production in the United States and that it is leading us towards greater energy independence.

4.Ethanol Mandate. This rule requires renewable fuel to be blended into motor-vehicle fuels and fuels for non-road, locomotive, and marine engines in increasing amounts each year. As Attorney General, he filed a “friend of the court” brief in a lawsuit over the ethanol fuel mandate. In that filing, the Attorney General noted increased-ethanol fuel posed a risk to the fuel systems of many of the vehicles on the road today and could even void certain auto manufacturer’s warranties.

5.Keystone Pipeline.

Read more: http://www.atr.org/top-5-epa-reforms-scott-pruitt-will-likely-push#ixzz4Sfq5gXzL

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Top 5 EPA Reforms That Scott Pruitt Will Likely Push
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:46:55 am »
All good, but #2 and #4 in particular.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:31:36 am »
   Pruitt is a Pipeline Loving Guy.
   Map of his very own Cushing, OK.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:54:29 am »
I would like to see some increased efforts in the nuke power space.  Especially in the thorium / thorium salt reactors.  Nuke tech is stuck in 70 year old technology.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:25:25 am »
I'm very pleased with Pruitt's likely appointment, but I have to take issue with one part of this story.

Pruitt has long challenged the EPA’s failed attempts to link hydraulic fracturing to water contamination.

"Failed" because everytime someone has evidence, they are paid off. 

I've personally seen evidence of it in West Virginia, unless someone has some other explanation for synthetic chemicals being present in groundwater near fracked wells well off the beaten path.

And I work with someone who previously worked for a well known company, investigating claims and arranging settlements.  That's how they can say "no proven cases". 

Finally, I think nobody would argue that there's been surfacewater contamination cases.

The problem is, this issue has become a lot like climate change, in that both sides exaggerate.  I'm a great fan of fracking, but let's be honest that it has to be done right.

One other point... I do like the way it assumes that Donald Trump is going to go back on his ethanol pledges.

Edited to correct "fracced/fraccing" to "fracked/fracking"...we add a "k" in English, not a "c".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:26:25 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:40 am »
I would like to see some increased efforts in the nuke power space.  Especially in the thorium / thorium salt reactors.  Nuke tech is stuck in 70 year old technology.

:amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:43:26 am »
Another thing is that he needs to greatly restructure the rule making process. There needs to be hard science and factual support for every rule, and an oversight committee up or down vote before implementing.

He also needs to end enviro groups suing to change or create regs, and then sitting down with the EPA to create/change those regs.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:26 am »
I'm very pleased with Pruitt's likely appointment, but I have to take issue with one part of this story.

"Failed" because everytime someone has evidence, they are paid off. 

I've personally seen evidence of it in West Virginia, unless someone has some other explanation for synthetic chemicals being present in groundwater near fracked wells well off the beaten path.

And I work with someone who previously worked for a well known company, investigating claims and arranging settlements.  That's how they can say "no proven cases". 

Finally, I think nobody would argue that there's been surfacewater contamination cases.

The problem is, this issue has become a lot like climate change, in that both sides exaggerate.  I'm a great fan of fracking, but let's be honest that it has to be done right.

One other point... I do like the way it assumes that Donald Trump is going to go back on his ethanol pledges.

Edited to correct "fracced/fraccing" to "fracked/fracking"...we add a "k" in English, not a "c".
Aside from surface spills or equipment failures, no properly constructed well should ever permit contamination of groundwater. If cement bonds are bad, if bond logs are ignored, if casing is compromised, contamination can occur, but that is something that can be checked before any fraccing is done--and should be. It is required here by State Law that casing integrity is verified. If that isn't happening, then someone is cutting corners. One company in particular has had a bit of a reputation for doing that over there. They also had a surface equipment failure that allowed uncontrolled flowback of fluids. (Chinese junk--it's not just a boat. )
However, the EPA's attempts to prove fraccing contaminated groundwater consisted of doing two 'test wells' near Pavilion Wyoming, neither of which was constructed up to industry standards. When that attempt to 'prove' contamination came from drilled wells failed, the EPA gave (that's right, GAVE) a million plus acres of Wyoming to the Wind River Tribe, including the towns of Pavilion and Riverton. (The EPA has no authority to change the boundaries of any state, nor to change the jurisdiction of private land from Wyoming to a Tribal Government, but that's an effective way to stymie any investigation into their investigation. The matter is still in the courts, as Wyoming took umbrage when the EPA gave away a bunch of the State.)

I know of one oil company which was doing pre-spud surveys of groundwater, testing water  from private wells to establish baseline values of chemical content in the water (including methane). That way, those results could be compared to any subsequent samples taken after drilling and completion of the wells. No contamination has been revealed that was not traced to surface sources. Methane is not uncommon in groundwater in Western Virginia and West Virginia.

If flowback water is being improperly disposed of, that could put chemicals in odd places, but the question is What chemicals? and are those traceable to improper disposal of production water or a natural source? Everyone wants to make fraccing the boogeyman, but if it is done right, there is no way it should be.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »
Aside from surface spills or equipment failures, no properly constructed well should ever permit contamination of groundwater. If cement bonds are bad, if bond logs are ignored, if casing is compromised, contamination can occur, but that is something that can be checked before any fraccing is done--and should be. It is required here by State Law that casing integrity is verified. If that isn't happening, then someone is cutting corners. One company in particular has had a bit of a reputation for doing that over there. They also had a surface equipment failure that allowed uncontrolled flowback of fluids. (Chinese junk--it's not just a boat. )
However, the EPA's attempts to prove fraccing contaminated groundwater consisted of doing two 'test wells' near Pavilion Wyoming, neither of which was constructed up to industry standards. When that attempt to 'prove' contamination came from drilled wells failed, the EPA gave (that's right, GAVE) a million plus acres of Wyoming to the Wind River Tribe, including the towns of Pavilion and Riverton. (The EPA has no authority to change the boundaries of any state, nor to change the jurisdiction of private land from Wyoming to a Tribal Government, but that's an effective way to stymie any investigation into their investigation. The matter is still in the courts, as Wyoming took umbrage when the EPA gave away a bunch of the State.)

I know of one oil company which was doing pre-spud surveys of groundwater, testing water  from private wells to establish baseline values of chemical content in the water (including methane). That way, those results could be compared to any subsequent samples taken after drilling and completion of the wells. No contamination has been revealed that was not traced to surface sources. Methane is not uncommon in groundwater in Western Virginia and West Virginia.

If flowback water is being improperly disposed of, that could put chemicals in odd places, but the question is What chemicals? and are those traceable to improper disposal of production water or a natural source? Everyone wants to make fraccing the boogeyman, but if it is done right, there is no way it should be.

Thank you!   Saved me the trouble!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:37 pm »

He also needs to end enviro groups suing to change or create regs, and then sitting down with the EPA to create/change those regs.

That is a given.  May even turn around in inviting in industry to assist in rule making.

If the CEO of American's largest oil company is now an insider, then everything is on the table.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »
Another thing is that he needs to greatly restructure the rule making process. There needs to be hard science and factual support for every rule, and an oversight committee up or down vote before implementing.

The real coyote in the henhouse there is that the courts would award huge settlements to the environmental groups, making them well funded. Whatta racket!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »

I believe all those cases have be tied to failed well casing and cement.  Regardless if the well is frac'd or not, a failed well casing can contaminate drinking water.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 04:55:44 pm »
Aside from surface spills or equipment failures[/color], no properly constructed[/color] well should ever permit contamination of groundwater. If cement bonds are bad, if bond logs are ignored, if casing is compromised, contamination can occur, but that is something that can be checked before any fraccing is done--and should be. It is required here by State Law that casing integrity is verified. If that isn't happening, then someone is cutting corners. One company in particular has had a bit of a reputation for doing that over there. They also had a surface equipment failure that allowed uncontrolled flowback of fluids. (Chinese junk--it's not just a boat. )

Exactly.  Which is why industry pushes for exemptions and lack of oversight were way off-base.  You make my point.

However, the EPA's attempts to prove fraccing contaminated groundwater consisted of doing two 'test wells' near Pavilion Wyoming, neither of which was constructed up to industry standards.

That wasn't the extent of their push.  They made a big push in Dimock, PA, too.

I know of at least one gas company doing the same.  (They did note an increase in methane in some local wells; others, it was just a confirmation bias.)

Everyone wants to make fraccing the boogeyman, but if it is done right, there is no way it should be.

Again, I've highlighted your words that highlight the issue.

You know as well as I do that corners were cut, and industry was not wholly successful at self-regulation.  At least one outfit has admitted to using diesel fuel even after promising to stop the practice. 

Properly done, fracking isn't very risky to groundwater.  But as you point out, there are still risks from surface spills and improper cement/casing jobs.  And if all operations were perfect, Macondo wouldn't have had a problem and few people would know of Deepwater Horizon.

That is why prudence is necessary, and industry has to be told to shut up about gummy bears and just do things right.  Fortunately, they seem to have gotten the message, mostly, as regulators have stood their ground.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:52 pm »
I believe all those cases have be tied to failed well casing and cement.  Regardless if the well is frac'd or not, a failed well casing can contaminate drinking water.

Sure, though the pressures of fracked wells increase the influence.

The point is, fracking can cause problems.  That's why it has to be done right.
+++++++++

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:29 pm »

Exactly.  As with many things.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »
Exactly.  As with many things.

Yet industry tries/tried to push the idea that they should be exempt from regulation/oversight that others must follow.   That's a ridiculous notion.  Their fracking activity influences area under other peoples' property, and puts others' natural resources at risk.

The answer is to provide protections for the public, while allowing it to proceed safely.
+++++++++

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:09 pm »

Hydraulic Fracturing was not, and is not the problem.  Properly casing the wells is the problem.  And it is a problem regardless if the well is Frac'd or not.  Focus on the real problem if you want a real solution, instead of the media hyped fantasy.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:40 pm »
Hydraulic Fracturing was not, and is not the problem.  Properly casing the wells is the problem.  And it is a problem regardless if the well is Frac'd or not.  Focus on the real problem if you want a real solution, instead of the media hyped fantasy.

You are denying that fracking uses higher pressures/stresses and volumes of fluid?
+++++++++

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:08 pm »
You are denying that fracking uses higher pressures/stresses and volumes of fluid?

No.  I'm stating proper well casing and cementing is the solution to the problem.  And bad casing is a significant problem with or without hydraulic fracturing.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:39 pm »
Exactly.  Which is why industry pushes for exemptions and lack of oversight were way off-base.  You make my point.
Not in North Dakota I don't. There is no lack of oversight here.

That wasn't the extent of their push.  They made a big push in Dimock, PA, too.
Which also failed to show that fraccing contaminated any groundwater.
I know of at least one gas company doing the same.  (They did note an increase in methane in some local wells; others, it was just a confirmation bias.)

Again, I've highlighted your words that highlight the issue.
If there is a problem in your area with either regulation or oversight, that is a local government problem. The NDIC does very well at enforcing the regulations, and will prosecute companies who fail to do so.
You know as well as I do that corners were cut,
I have no knowledge of any oil company cutting any corners on established regulations or safety practices. Without firsthand knowledge of such, I could not attest to 'corners being cut'. If you know of such, please provide some documentation. We're sticklers about doing things right, here, because we live here. For starters, as a professional Geologist, it would be my duty to report any cut corners. I have long said that I will gladly work in the industry as long as things are done right. It has been over 35 years now, and to my knowledge, they have been done correctly. This is an agricultural state, too, and the land passed on to our progeny will be what we make of it--polluting it is not part of that plan.
...and industry was not wholly successful at self-regulation. 
The North Dakota Industrial Commission (Oil and Gas Division) is in charge of regulating the industry here, not the oil companies. The oil is here, there is money to be made, but if you want to come here from somewhere else and do that, you're going to go by our rules. Otherwise, don't bother. Someone else will do so and comply. The rules aren't ridiculous, the regulators worked in the industry, too, and have enough knowledge of what is important to make sure that is covered without imposing ridiculous nonsense, but the goal of it all is that when that well site is reclaimed, as eventually it will be, the land will still be suitable for raising families, livestock, and growing crops.
At least one outfit has admitted to using diesel fuel even after promising to stop the practice.
Not here, nor in violation of any regulation.

Properly done, fracking isn't very risky to groundwater. 
Properly done the risk is zero.
But as you point out, there are still risks from surface spills and improper cement/casing jobs.
The latter can be mitigated by running casing bond logs, and the deficiencies, if present, are obvious. Those can be remedied with a 'squeeze job', and re-logged to ensure they are corrected. If the State doesn't approve the casing integrity, the oil company is free to fix it, but without that approval, there will be no frac job.

Add to that that the first couple of thousand feet are also behind surface casing, run, cemented, and also bond logged, to protect the aquifers from contamination by drilling fluid while the well is being drilled. "Surface hole" is drilled using fresh water and native materials, with the possible addition of bentonite or other clays to reduce fluid losses and seepage. From spud to cementing casing seldom takes 48 hours.

The casing run after a well gets into the target zone is intermediate casing, (run inside the surface casing), and the production liner is yet a third string, which extends from just above the base of the intermediate casing in the lateral to TD (total depth).  All of those would have to be compromised to contaminate groundwater. Highly unlikely.
And if all operations were perfect, Macondo wouldn't have had a problem and few people would know of Deepwater Horizon.
If the people watching the pressure build, the well start flowing more fluid than was being pumped to displace the marine riser, had called that to the attention of the right people, and they had listened (I'm not sure where the problem was, there, but the onshore telemetry clearly showed the failure to address the situation in a timely fashion) then there is a good chance that the well and the rig and the eleven lives lost would have all been saved. Somewhere on that rig, there was a serious and fundamental f**k up. I have been on land rigs where there were 'kicks' that were a little touch and go after encountering overpressured zones while drilling, but we always contained the problem. Paying attention goes a long way toward that.

However, that was a blowout, and not a fraccing problem. That well had only been drilled, and was not being placed into production. Pressures there which had been controlled during drilling became a problem when the 5000 ft. of marine riser had the more dense drilling fluid displaced with much lighter seawater, reducing the hydrostatic pressure on the formation and allowing uncontrolled production of formation fluid (oil and gas). Failure to control that fluid production by the timely addition of 'kill mud' (heavy drilling fluid designed to exert pressure on the formation and stop fluid production) or mechanical means (BOPs) permitted the uncontrolled release of oil and gas (a blowout), and the ensuing explosion, fire, and disaster.

I will say there was a problem with the casing/cement job, from what I have been able to ascertain, otherwise the formation would not have been able to produce into the wellbore. The same fundamentals apply. When the well is flowing and it isn't supposed to, you have a problem.

That is why prudence is necessary, and industry has to be told to shut up about gummy bears and just do things right.  Fortunately, they seem to have gotten the message, mostly, as regulators have stood their ground.
No one ever said there shouldn't be rules, nor that those rules, based on safe practices, should not be enforced. We have that here, in ND. Over 10,000 wells, no instances of groundwater contamination except from a couple of surface spills, and those were reported and remediated--no worse than wrecking a truckload of salt water and cleaning that up. When the boom in horizontal drilling and fraccing started in the Bakken here, the regs were already in place to deal with this (our oil industry here only goes back to the 1950s).
I find it hard to believe that PA, with its rich history from Drake's well on, doesn't have appropriate regulations and agencies in place to handle this, or that West Virginia, where gas wells have been drilled since well before I was a Geology undergrad in Virginia in the '70s, doesn't have the regulations, agencies, etc. to oversee the industry. If that is the case, or was the case, it is good that it has been fixed, and a serious failure on the part of state government if it hasn't.

The problem with Federal Regulation (especially a rabidly anti-industry agency like the EPA) writing some set of blanket regulations for the country is that the geology, geological problems, and engineering solutions vary from geological province to province. Those rules would likely make as much sense as imposing California building codes for earth quake proof construction on North Dakota (an area of incredibly low seismicity).

The Feds need not get involved, unless there is corruption in a state regulatory agency.
Why have someone ruling on your back yard from 2000+ miles away?
Keep government local, it's easier to keep an eye on what they are up to.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:57:46 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 10:03:00 pm »

You are missing out on a fundamental point. If fraccing isn't done right, the results are going to suffer. If the applied pressure and fluids go anywhere but the formation they are intended to fracture, they do not have the desired effect.
Considering the frac job costs more than drilling the well (a little more than half of the seven million dollars a Bakken well costs to drill and complete), that is one hell of a total waste of money.
The entire focus of an oil company from the bean-counters to the engineers is to make a profit by producing oil (and/or natural gas) by the most efficient and cost effective means possible. That happens to be doing it right. Anything less causes loss of product, cleanup expenses, long term liabilities, and a lot of bad blood with the locals. One effup from cutting corners will cost multiples of what it costs to do the job right the first time.

C S Lewis

Offline FreeReign

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:46 am »
The article does not include on the list, the freezing, lowering or even removing of CAFE standards.

It should. It should be number one on the list.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:56:38 am by FreeReign »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 01:00:25 am »
The article does not include on the list, the freezing, lowering or even removing of CAFE standards.

It should. It should be number one on the list.
I didn't realize how much of the new cars is plastic (my active fleet is 16-29) until I noticed how many people have apparently been in fender benders and broken the front or back end of their cars.

C S Lewis

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 01:36:43 am »

I'd like to see every proposed regulation assessed for "Economic Impact" by a dedicated agency of the US Commerce Department, using principles which are as precautionary regarding economic harm as the principles used by the EPA for environmental harm.
James 1:20

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 03:58:31 am »

Well, I lost a long reply to you, @Smokin Joe and @thackney, and I don't have time to reconstruct it. 

I'll just go back to the original point...that there actually is groundwater contamination that resulted from poorly-done fracking, and that it's good that there's regulation, regulation that industry was trying to prevent less than 10 years ago. There are still problems, such as insufficient bonds to avoid costs being dumped on the taxpayer (e.g., the thousands of abandoned wells that still get added to our tab), but for the most part, things are pretty good.

An example why self-regulation alone doesn't always work.
Two Oil-Field Companies Acknowledge Fracking With Diesel
February 19, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/02/19/19greenwire-two-oil-field-companies-acknowledge-fracking-w-90863.html

Two of the world's largest oil-field services companies have acknowledged to Congress that they used diesel in hydraulic fracturing after telling federal regulators they would stop injecting the fuel near underground water supplies.

BJ Services acknowledged it had violated a December 2003 "memorandum of agreement" that it and other companies signed with U.S. EPA agreeing to limit the amount of diesel they use in fracturing. ...

And I brought up the Macondo example not to say that was directly comparable or fracking, but just to point out that even with experienced firms, mistakes can occur.  We can't always assume best practices will be followed.

Fracking is excellent.  I'm just calling for us not to believe we have an unsinkable Titanic, and hydrocarbon companies should be held to the Safe Drinking Water Act the same as everyone else.
+++++++++