Author Topic: Trump Says He Gets Intelligence Briefings 'When I Need It'; You Need It Daily, Ex-CIA Director Says  (Read 1556 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump Says He Gets Intelligence Briefings 'When I Need It'; You Need It Daily, Ex-CIA Director Says
By Susan Jones | December 12, 2016 | 8:10 AM EST

(CNSNews.com) - President-elect Donald Trump says he gets his top-secret presidential daily brief, not every day, but "when I need it."

But former CIA Director Michael Hayden said on Monday, not only does Trump need to hear the daily intelligence -- he also needs to communicate daily with the people who are gathering it.

"First of all, these are very good people that are giving me the briefings," Trump told "Fox News Sunday." "If something should change from this point, immediately call me. I'm available on one minute's notice.

more
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/trump-says-he-gets-intelligence-briefings-when-i-need-it
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump Says He Gets Intelligence Briefings 'When I Need It'; You Need It Daily, Ex-CIA Director Says
By Susan Jones | December 12, 2016 | 8:10 AM EST

(CNSNews.com) - President-elect Donald Trump says he gets his top-secret presidential daily brief, not every day, but "when I need it."

But former CIA Director Michael Hayden said on Monday, not only does Trump need to hear the daily intelligence -- he also needs to communicate daily with the people who are gathering it.

"First of all, these are very good people that are giving me the briefings," Trump told "Fox News Sunday." "If something should change from this point, immediately call me. I'm available on one minute's notice.

more
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/trump-says-he-gets-intelligence-briefings-when-i-need-it

Dear Mr. Trump, you're entering a world where "things change" on a moment's notice.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Dear Mr. Trump, you're entering a world where "things change" on a moment's notice.

I agree that his statement about being "smart" was...not very smart simply because of the optics  But look at what he's actually saying in the statement you just quoted:

"If something should change from this point, immediately call me. I'm available on one minute's notice.

It sounds like he's saying he'll get regular briefing, perhaps not every day.  But that if there is something of importance or significance that he needs to know, he should be contacted immediately.  I'm kind of struggling to understand why that is so terrible a position. 

If he only gets one or two briefings a week, I'd agree that would be a problem.  But "not every day" may just mean that every once in a while, he'll skip one.  Maybe he'll hit 80% -- I don't know.  I just think this is the kind of think you have to wait and see how it plays out before making a huge deal out of it.

Silver Pines

I agree that his statement about being "smart" was...not very smart simply because of the optics  But look at what he's actually saying in the statement you just quoted:

"If something should change from this point, immediately call me. I'm available on one minute's notice.

It sounds like he's saying he'll get regular briefing, perhaps not every day.  But that if there is something of importance or significance that he needs to know, he should be contacted immediately.  I'm kind of struggling to understand why that is so terrible a position. 

If he only gets one or two briefings a week, I'd agree that would be a problem.  But "not every day" may just mean that every once in a while, he'll skip one.  Maybe he'll hit 80% -- I don't know.  I just think this is the kind of think you have to wait and see how it plays out before making a huge deal out of it.

@Maj. Bill Martin

The point is that Trump is in no position to judge when there's something of significance he should know. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

@Maj. Bill Martin

The point is that Trump is in no position to judge when there's something of significance he should know.

@CatherineofAragon

Of course he isn't, but that's a nonsensical interpretation of what he said anyway.  How can he possibly be the judge of whether "something" is of significance when we're talking about whether he should be made aware of the "something" in the first place?  "I'll review it, and then decide whether or not I should review it."  Huh?

He's obviously talking about the people who brief him making the determination of significance.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:17:31 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline chae

If you are ok with Trump saying this, then you need to ask yourself how you would feel if Obama says it.

Silver Pines

@Maj. Bill Martin

"President-elect Donald Trump says he gets his top-secret presidential daily brief, not every day, but "when I need it.""

Twist yourself into a pretzel to excuse this all you like, but that's the bottom line.

I'll go with the CIA's judgment over his, and over yours.

HonestJohn

Currently, he thinks 14% is just peachy.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The problem here is relevance.

If the CIA is just repeating the same predictable blather day in and day out, then there's no need to issue him a brief and waste his time. If there is something actually important, say it.

Too often bureaucrats get wrapped up in their own self-importance and don't realize that 90% of the stuff they say is crap.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online goatprairie

I would think in the state of the world as it is now something is going on every day.  A person as ignorant as Trump is about world affairs should try and learn a few things.  For at least his first year in office he will probably need a daily briefing with sharp advisors to instruct him on everything.  This "I don't need daily intel briefings" sounds like typical Trump egotism. He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Offline Night Hides Not

The problem here is relevance.

If the CIA is just repeating the same predictable blather day in and day out, then there's no need to issue him a brief and waste his time. If there is something actually important, say it.

Too often bureaucrats get wrapped up in their own self-importance and don't realize that 90% of the stuff they say is crap.

Lot of truth in that last sentence. You see it in spades from all of the talking heads on cable news.

First one that comes to mind is Nicolle Wallace. At best, she is nothing but an apparatchik, with no redeeming qualities.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Abe Lincoln was known to hang out in the white house telegraph office to keep abreast if the latest intel from the battlefield.

Its still important.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Betcha he pays more attention to them than Obama did.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

This is the same guy who trashed all of the American intelligence agencies during the campaign

Offline libertybele

Right now we are faced with ISIS, China, N. Korea, Iran/Middle East and Putin.  I think it would be appropriate and highly necessary to take 15 minutes (perhaps first thing in the morning) out of his day to be briefed by intelligence as to what's going on.  Good grief, he could have his morning coffee with them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

Trump might as well say he takes a bath every month whether he needs it or not.

Wingnut

I think it is best to treat trump like one would care for a mushroom.

Offline Suppressed

I think it is best to treat trump like one would care for a mushroom.

And the agencies all know that the second he screws up, he'll blame them for not telling him something...when he was the one who chose to skip out in the first place.  The guy is like Obama for not taking the blame for his own faults.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn