Author Topic: Nevada student, 14, who swung a knife at his classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days before he snapped and attacked his friends'  (Read 8477 times)

Offline verga

Look, if a kid can't keep up with the rest of the class, if they have trouble grasping concepts, even if they have a physical disability instead of a mental or developmental one, it will become glaringly obvious to everyone, including the kid, that they aren't the same as everyone else. While that doesn't have to be cause for derision from their fellow students, as a rule, kids can be very cruel to anyone who doesn't fit in. Not saying all kids are that way, some will 'make a place' for those who are a bit different and protect them, but others will viciously attack.

When classes were divided into sections based on academic achievement, there was less of that.

Still, someone with two knives, wielding them in a crowd, without knowing when you pull up that they are 'special needs' can still make someone a special corpse. If a knife wielding attacker is within 21 feet (seven steps) of you and your weapon is holstered, they can be administering mortal wounds before you get your weapon out. Even if it isn't holstered, the suddenness and ferocity of an attack can place the person defending at a disadvantage.

Please watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl2KCdFNgo

We can second guess the officer, we can play "why not this?" all day.
Or we can be thankful that the person the officer shot will be around to learn from all this,, and hopefully get the help they need.

That said, schools have gone all gaga on anti-bullying campaigns. In most places that is some sort of rainbow colored code word for not tormenting the GiBLeTs. "Ordinary" kids still catch hell, and the cruelties that have always existed in the bit of Lord of the Flies that exists in every crowd of kids still go on, just in the  corners and behind the moving screens of other students where the cameras can't see. Yet the kid who strikes back before things get to the point where they want a lethal outcome usually is the one who gets in trouble.
Hmmm 21 feet just like I said above.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bolobaby

Please watch this.

@Smokin Joe
@Right_in_Virginia
@verga

Please. That video is absolutely TERRIBLE in this context. Complete and utter BS. Let's quickly examine why:

1. That video shows a series of surprise attacks where officers aren't even aware the suspect has a knife, except in one instance where the officer already has their sidearm drawn.
2. That video uses suspects who, in some cases, are frickin' trained in speed knife attacks.
3. Did you see that kid? He had no idea what he was doing with that knife. He looked like the youtube kid trying to be Darth Maul with a fake lightsaber.
4. Do you really think those officers walked up to that scene and didn't already have their sidearms drawn? They would have even had time for one of them to draw a taser instead, like in the second video I posted. Some officers with guns, one with a taser, who deploys.

So, in summary, this kid wasn't going to knife ANYONE without adequate time to react. For chrissakes, he was out there with other students casually standing around him in a circle, just chillin' an waiting to see how it unfolded.

If this kid posed a real threat like the TRAINED knife wielders in that video, there would be several bloody bodies on the ground already.

He was spastically and ineffectively posturing with his knives. Period. I would have tased the kid or talked him down. I'm brave enough to know when NOT to discharge my firearm. The officer who shot this kid is a coward, plain and simple.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
When that Native American woman was shot in Arizona, imo, the officer acted to severely, excessive force.  It was posted here and in all of its details months ago. I also know, I'm not going to fool around with the police at all.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2016/03/31/navajo-womans-death-hands-winslow-officer-sparks-outcry/82479392/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:04:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
bullying didn't cause him to ignore the cop

he was likely already nuts

@geronl

Maybe,but being bullied every day can make you nuts. Beware of the little mousy guy you push into the corner,because you are going to be facing a different creature when he finally comes out of the corner.

Having said that,WTF is wrong with that cop that he didn't use a Taser or use Pepper spray? Stupid SOB could have easily missed or had the bullet pass through the kid and kill another kid. Especially since he hit the kid in the neck. We all know he was aiming for center mass,so on top of everything else he is a lousy shot that should have never been allowed to carry a firearm.

And I don't want to hear any whining about his life was in danger. Putting his life at risk to protect others is WHY he was  hired. He was actually a bigger danger to the kids standing around than the kid with the knife was. I hope they hammer his ass.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:38:44 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Smokin Joe
@Right_in_Virginia
@verga

Please. That video is absolutely TERRIBLE in this context. Complete and utter BS. Let's quickly examine why:

1. That video shows a series of surprise attacks where officers aren't even aware the suspect has a knife, except in one instance where the officer already has their sidearm drawn.
2. That video uses suspects who, in some cases, are frickin' trained in speed knife attacks.
3. Did you see that kid? He had no idea what he was doing with that knife. He looked like the youtube kid trying to be Darth Maul with a fake lightsaber.
4. Do you really think those officers walked up to that scene and didn't already have their sidearms drawn? They would have even had time for one of them to draw a taser instead, like in the second video I posted. Some officers with guns, one with a taser, who deploys.

So, in summary, this kid wasn't going to knife ANYONE without adequate time to react. For chrissakes, he was out there with other students casually standing around him in a circle, just chillin' an waiting to see how it unfolded.

If this kid posed a real threat like the TRAINED knife wielders in that video, there would be several bloody bodies on the ground already.

He was spastically and ineffectively posturing with his knives. Period. I would have tased the kid or talked him down. I'm brave enough to know when NOT to discharge my firearm. The officer who shot this kid is a coward, plain and simple.

Amen,amen,amen! The cop panicked,and he and everyone else is lucky that neck shot didn't end up killing a kid in the background.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe
@Right_in_Virginia
@verga

You keep saying 'trained attacker", but I have seen frenzied attacks on people which covered a lot of ground, fast, be that just anger or enhanced by chemicals. Those 'amateurs' can be effective, too. One of the problems an officer has is that they can't just judge a book by its cover, you don't know what that person knows, and even though their actions will betray that to some extent, that can be misleading.

As for this kid, I wasn't there. I didn't see that kid and get a sense of what was going on in his head.

But my point was that to get in Tazer range, the officer has to be within that envelope of susceptibility to a knife attack.

If you caught my previous sarcastic remarks about "shooting the knife out of the kid's hand", you might understand that my comments were aimed at the unrealistic expectations of the teevee watching public, fattened on Hollywood.

I'm glad you the type who would have risked your life to avoid shooting a kid who was likely losing it, emotionally. Getting shot was likely the last thing that kid 'needed'.

I'll grant we need more out there who have the guts to do that, and even more we need school teachers and administrators with the guts to stop the s**t before it reaches the point it did with this kid. When I was in school, it is likely that the school administrators would have dealt with the situation quite differently.
For starters, given the standoff, the other kids would have been removed from the area. Then, they would have tried to talk him down, while maintaining enough distance at first, and usually three or so of the male faculty would have been involved, spread around that circle.

An assessment of the abilities and mental state of the kid is something I am not in a position to render. He may even have been trying to commit suicide by cop, in which case, that was thwarted.

I am concerned that the officer took the shot if there were other kids in the background if there was no imminent threat, but if there was no imminent threat, why shoot at all?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@geronl

Maybe,but being bullied every day can make you nuts. Beware of the little mousy guy you push into the corner,because you are going to be facing a different creature when he finally comes out of the corner.

Having said that,WTF is wrong with that cop that he didn't use a Taser or use Pepper spray? Stupid SOB could have easily missed or had the bullet pass through the kid and kill another kid. Especially since he hit the kid in the neck. We all know he was aiming for center mass,so on top of everything else he is a lousy shot that should have never been allowed to carry a firearm.

And I don't want to hear any whining about his life was in danger. Putting his life at risk to protect others is WHY he was  hired. He was actually a bigger danger to the kids standing around than the kid with the knife was. I hope they hammer his ass.
WTF were the kids doing standing around in the first place? They should have been cleared out of the area.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

A police officer in full body armor could have taken him down pretty easy; it looks like someone could have taken him from the back as well but...

When an incident is going on, you may not have these ideal circumstances.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
If a knife wielding attacker is within 21 feet (seven steps) of you and your weapon is holstered, they can be administering mortal wounds before you get your weapon out. Even if it isn't holstered, the suddenness and ferocity of an attack can place the person defending at a disadvantage.

Please watch this.

Agree (and great post), and that is not even considering the fact that the officer also had to factor in the fact that kids were closer than 21 feet away in most every direction. Those that don't believe a 14 y/o kid is dangerous are not being honest with themselves. I have such an age kid and he is strong as a horse. The 14 +/- y/o kids around the perp are a factor also if you want to make age an issue. The officer has a right to go home alive too.

Those that discount this as a serious threat have never trained around such a threat. Hate that it ended with the kid hurt, but not enough that I saw the officers actions as anything but reasonable in the situation. One stab in the right place, one or more people would of died.

@Smokin Joe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:45:39 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

...As for this kid, I wasn't there. I didn't see that kid and get a sense of what was going on in his head.

But my point was that to get in Tazer range, the officer has to be within that envelope of susceptibility to a knife attack."

So what?  Isn't taking risks to protect the public the prime reason the public hires people to be cops?  Taking risks to protect the innocent DEFINES their job. AND....,this kid had not yet hurt anyone. He was just waving the knives around and not going after anyone. Plus he is as skinny as a rail and seems to have no muscles at all. It ain't like he was a beefed up defensive lineman on the school football team.

"If you caught my previous sarcastic remarks about "shooting the knife out of the kid's hand", you might understand that my comments were aimed at the unrealistic expectations of the teevee watching public, fattened on Hollywood."

I'm with you on that one,although I haven't heard the "Why didn't he just shoot the knife or gun out of the bad guys hand?" question in maybe 20 years. Marshall Dillion used to make it seem to be soooo easy to do,too!

"I'll grant we need more out there who have the guts to do that, and even more we need school teachers and administrators with the guts to stop the s**t before it reaches the point it did with this kid. "

I'm giving ya a BIG "Amen!" on that one. Like the school cop,THEY also have an obligation to protect the children under their care,and there is no way none of them didn't know this kid was being mercilessly bullied. I had that problem myself when I was in the 3rd grade,and the biggest kid in the 5th or 6th grade decided to bully me for a hobby. I took it for about two days,and then I laid his ass out with a baseball bat and told him if I would beat him to death with it if he even bled harder. For some odd reason neither he nor anyone else at that school tried to bully me after that. Still,it SHOULD have been handled by the school administration long before I stopped it. I wasn't the only one he bullied. He bullied everybody smaller than him until I tuned him up with the bat. After that he pretty much stayed quiet.

"For starters, given the standoff, the other kids would have been removed from the area."

Completely agree. Once his peers were no longer around to laugh at him,it would have been much easier for adults to have talked him down.

"I am concerned that the officer took the shot if there were other kids in the background if there was no imminent threat, but if there was no imminent threat, why shoot at all?"

I don't get it either. I can only GUESS the cop panicked. If he hadn't,he would have tried pepper spray or a taser AFTER ordering all the other kids back into their classrooms. If necessary,he should have ran away so the kid would chase after him in order to get him away from the other students.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WTF were the kids doing standing around in the first place? They should have been cleared out of the area.

@Smokin Joe

I'm guessing,that like is usually the case,the kids standing around knew the kid with the knife and the circumstances better than anyone else,and none of them felt threatened by him. They knew he was just blowing off steam and frustrations,and trying to make the point that he wanted to be left alone.

Like I said,just a guess,though.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Those that discount this as a serious threat have never trained around such a threat. Hate that it ended with the kid hurt, but not enough that I saw the officers actions as anything but reasonable in the situation. One stab in the right place, one or more people would of died.

@Smokin Joe

@Sighlass

Yeah,and that one wild shot the cop made that hit the kid in the neck could have easily killed one of the kids in the background.

That cop is a cowardly punk that needs to be fired for shooting in those circumstances,and I don't want to hear about him being justified to put the lives of the other kids in danger because "he has a right to go home,too". NO,IN FACT HE DOES NOT have that right "too". He gave up that right when he took the oath and pinned the badge on.

Offline roamer_1

21 feet is the magic number. If the distance is less than 21 feet the person with the knife has the advantage. They can cover the distance in the bloink of the eye and do some serious damage. There is a video of Billy Bryant "cutting" a person 21 times in less than 5 seconds. Look it up.

That assumes an holstered gun. If the gun is out ready, and pointed, the gun-holder has a marked advantage. Especially a professional vs an amateur. Five seconds is more than enough time to empty a .45 auto center-mass, and even a head shot would be  pretty easy at twenty feet.

Offline verga

@Smokin Joe
@Right_in_Virginia
@verga

@bolobaby So, in summary, this kid wasn't going to knife ANYONE without adequate time to react. For chrissakes, he was out there with other students casually standing around him in a circle, just chillin' an waiting to see how it unfolded. How do you weather he intended to knife someone or not? Seriously You saw a video, you were not there. As the FBI video shows 21 feet is the magic number. If you have some sort of EXPERT rebuttal please cite it. Tragic stuff happens all the time and untrained people stand around and waiting to see how it unfolds. It is called the "normalcy bias." The brain does not react because it comprehend this radical change in the situation.  This is why so many innocent bystanders get taken out in situations like this.

If this kid posed a real threat like the TRAINED knife wielders in that video, there would be several bloody bodies on the ground already. He was displaying a weapon, that is a threat. Roger Needham, Curtis Collins, Michael Bubb, Hopeton Minott, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, Not one of them "posed a real threat" until they went off and shot or stabbed innocents.

He was spastically and ineffectively posturing with his knives. Period. I would have tased the kid or talked him down. I'm brave enough to know when NOT to discharge my firearm. The officer who shot this kid is a coward, plain and simple. It is very nice that you think that way, but until you're in a situation like that no one knows how they will react. And calling him a coward, that is really harsh criticism. Have you ever had to make that life or death call? Have you ever been in a position that you were in charge of protecting innocent people and had to answer for actions or inactions?

You might consider trying on his shoes before resorting to name calling. 
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bolobaby

@verga

Go back and read this post.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,237009.msg1162630.html#msg1162630

I have been trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations. I'm proud to have stood with truly brave men while serving in the infantry. I can tell you with confidence that none of the soldiers I worked with would have shot this kid. They would have gladly gone into hand to hand with him to disarm him and get him to professional help so that his family could be spared the trauma of a dead son. AND they would do it without putting the other kids at risk.

Any questions?
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

I'll grant we need more out there who have the guts to do that, and even more we need school teachers and administrators with the guts to stop the s**t before it reaches the point it did with this kid. When I was in school, it is likely that the school administrators would have dealt with the situation quite differently.

@Smokin Joe

I'm only going to respond to this part of your post, because - to me - it is the most salient.

The biggest problem we have is our "zero tolerance" policy at our schools. In my day, if I was getting teased, I would scrap with the offender. Usually I'd beat the snot out of them, but even when I lost, they gained a measure of respect for my ability to fight back and usually backed off after that.

Today, kids aren't allowed to get out their frustrations where the biggest danger might be a scraped knee or a bloody nose. So, instead, we get Harris and Klebold and kids like this where the frustration builds to the point where they go crazy.

That scene from A Christmas Story is true. Often bullies will be silenced when they realize their victims have the will to fight back. Lets stop the "generation snowflake" bullcrap and let kids rough each other up in a safe way. It builds character.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Hot Tabasco

"I have been trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations. I'm proud to have stood with truly brave men while serving in the infantry. I can tell you with confidence that none of the soldiers I worked with would have shot this kid. They would have gladly gone into hand to hand with him"

Another real life arm chair Rambo, I'm impressed.......

Offline Hot Tabasco

@verga
Any questions?

Yea, just one.  Since you and your fellow rambos  would rather go hand to hand combat with the kid, what ya gonna do when the kid is able to launch his own  knife attack on a helpless student within his range while you or your fellow rambos decide to engage him instead of shoot him?

Isn't hindsight and armchair quarterbacking a wonderful thing?  Under those conditions you never lose..........LOL!

Offline TomSea

I like Bolo and Pete's comments; two sides of a conversation creates interest. SP brought up the possibility that this kid could have been messing around or something. If someone vicious was near me waving two knives, I'd get out of there about as fast as I could (and if I were unarmed as comes up in conversations like this) The kid was slightly built, he could have been knocked over but there is risk in that.

geronl

@geronl

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"I have been trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations. I'm proud to have stood with truly brave men while serving in the infantry. I can tell you with confidence that none of the soldiers I worked with would have shot this kid. They would have gladly gone into hand to hand with him"

Another real life arm chair Rambo, I'm impressed.......

@Hot Tabasco @bolobaby

Maybe you need to get out more? I was a career infantry soldier and fought in VN,Laos,and Cambodia while running recon missions. I ditto everything bolobaby wrote,and have literally known hundreds more personally who would have done and would have  said the same.

What is it that you think infantry soldiers do for a living,anyhow?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:28:34 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yea, just one.  Since you and your fellow rambos  would rather go hand to hand combat with the kid, what ya gonna do when the kid is able to launch his own  knife attack on a helpless student within his range while you or your fellow rambos decide to engage him instead of shoot him?

Isn't hindsight and armchair quarterbacking a wonderful thing?  Under those conditions you never lose..........LOL!

@Hot Tabasco

Sounds to me like you are committing fraud if you are getting paid to wear a badge and be a cop. Either man up or find a safe job somewhere because if you are wearing a badge to work every day,you are stealing your salary and are a danger to the public that pays it and depends on you.

Offline Idiot

Bingo!  If the kids were cleared out, then the risk to everybody involved would have been diminished big time.
@Smokin Joe

Offline verga

@verga

Go back and read this post.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,237009.msg1162630.html#msg1162630

I have been trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations. I'm proud to have stood with truly brave men while serving in the infantry. I can tell you with confidence that none of the soldiers I worked with would have shot this kid. They would have gladly gone into hand to hand with him to disarm him and get him to professional help so that his family could be spared the trauma of a dead son. AND they would do it without putting the other kids at risk.

Any questions?
No questions just a straight up statement. The only thing you can say with confidence is that you are pretty certain that is how you MIGHT have reacted. You do not have either the right or the ability to speak for anyone else, much less your self in EVERY situation. Now you can be as cocky as you want but the facts are just that no on knows how they will react in EVERY situation.