Author Topic: Nevada student, 14, who swung a knife at his classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days before he snapped and attacked his friends'  (Read 8473 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Nevada student, 14, who swung a knife at his classmates before being shot by police 'was bullied for days before he snapped and attacked his friends'

Teenager, named as Logan Clark, lunged at his classmates with a large knife
    After refusing to put down the weapon he was shot by police and is in hospital
    A parent of one student said the shot boy has been bullied for days at school
    He claimed Clark was a 'good kid' and had just snapped because of the bullying

By Snejana Farberov and Jennifer Newton for MailOnline

Published: 03:48 EST, 8 December 2016 | Updated: 07:28 EST, 8 December 2016

A high school student who lunged at his classmates with a knife in the schoolyard before being shot by police snapped after he had been bullied for days, it has been claimed.

The 14-year-old, who has been named locally as Logan Clark, was captured on camera wielding a large blade at fellow students at Procter R. Hug High School in Reno, Nevada, before refusing to put it down.

He was then shot by a school police officer after he failed to follow orders and is currently in a critical condition in a Reno hospital.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4012632/Nevada-student-14-swung-knife-classmates-shot-police-bullied-days-snapped-attacked-friends.html#ixzz4SGrvmBoY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He's still alive apparently, wild story. I had not heard about this. I hope he recovers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:07:10 pm by TomSea »

geronl

bullying didn't cause him to ignore the cop

he was likely already nuts

Wingnut

In before the officer should have shown more self control crowd chime in.

Or is that only when the perp is a dark skinned male?

geronl

He had those other kids surrounded. lol. Obviously.

Offline mountaineer

Campus Officer Shoots Knife-Wielding Student in Reno
By Cover Wife  December 8, 2016

Reno, NV – A campus police officer in Reno Nevada stopped a knife-wielding student Wednesday.  The 14-year old was brandishing a knife and ignoring verbal commands to drop his weapon when he was shot by Washoe County School Police.

The incident began Wednesday around lunch time at Hug High School in Reno, Nevada.  Student eyewitnesses report seeing two males fighting outside of the lunchroom.  As the crowd gathered, students began filming and Justin Clark, a 14-year old student pulled out a knife and began swinging it at other students.

“The other kid tried to avoid it,” one eyewitness said.

A WCSP officer came upon the scene and ordered Clark to drop his weapon.  After Clark ignored verbal commands, the officer discharged his service weapon.  Clark was reportedly struck in the shoulder area then given medical treatment by the officer.  Clark was transported to Renown Regional Medical Center and is listed in critical condition.  ...

More, including video, at BlueLivesMatter.

Multiple videos were taken during the incident and uploaded within hours to social media.  The school was immediately placed on lockdown and remained so until all students were accounted for.  “There’s multiple videos out there,” said Reno Police Spokesman Officer Tim Broadway.  “There’s some very disturbing video out there.  But there are other events that led up to this incident, so please don’t react to those.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

Personally, I don't know enough of the facts to say for sure, but considering the known facts, i would start from the premise that shooting the boy was going too far until shown otherwise.  For example, was a taser available?  If so, why wasn't it used?  Etc.   

geronl

Personally, I don't know enough of the facts to say for sure, but considering the known facts, i would start from the premise that shooting the boy was going too far until shown otherwise.  For example, was a taser available?  If so, why wasn't it used?  Etc.

You can see the other kids not running away in fear in the pic, obviously if he was attacking people they would have run or beaten the kid to a pulp

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
He's still alive apparently, wild story. I had not heard about this. I hope he recovers.
The kid has a knife in each hand...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Everyone knows he should just have shot the knife out of the kids hand. Geeeez, doesn't anyone watch teevee any more?

(/sarcasm)

And anyone considering a tazer: By the time you're in Tazer range, you're in knife range.
It can be a race to see who gets who first from that close.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:35:10 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

Everyone knows he should just have shot the knife out of the kids hand. Geeeez, doesn't anyone watch teevee any more?

(/sarcasm)

And anyone considering a tazer: By the time you're in Tazer range, you're in knife range.
It can be a race to see who gets who first from that close.

A grown man who's an experienced police officer against a 14 year old kid?  Don't think so.  I presume the shooting was not fully warranted until the facts say otherwise.

Offline Idiot

I heard on the news tonight that the kid was a special needs kid.  Kind of puts it all in a different light.  Sad..........

Offline TomSea

Sounds like and I'm being serious, he needed a net to be thrown on him, besides the obvious taser.

I wonder if this whole school was "special needs" or did they have a special section for special needs students?

Oceander

If this kid was special needs then this is doubly a tragedy because it's most likely the case that he was "mainstreamed" - placed into regular classes with the regular student body with only minimal additional supervision or assistance - and wasn't in fact capable of dealing with the mainstream. 
Too many people, parents and teachers included, have a very myopic view of what mainstreaming entails and the fact that mainstreaming can do more harm than good.  In this case, if the trigger that set this kid off was incessant bullying, then that's a demonstration of why mainstreaming can go so wrong. 

Oceander

Sounds like and I'm being serious, he needed a net to be thrown on him, besides the obvious taser.

I wonder if this whole school was "special needs" or did they have a special section for special needs students?

Unfortunately he was probably mainstreamed into a regular classroom without adequate supervision or, quite frankly, protection from the other kids. 

Online DB

A grown man who's an experienced police officer against a 14 year old kid?  Don't think so.  I presume the shooting was not fully warranted until the facts say otherwise.

There's more video of the incident. Tough call. It would have taken a fraction of a second to cut someones throat if he really tried. He was clearly not listening to anyone. He looks like he reached the point he didn't care anymore. I wonder if he was on or off one of his meds and/or some other drug.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Crazed guy swinging knife at people? I bet people would never say it wasn't warranted if he was black.

Sorry but he so deserved a bullet. He wasn't killed right?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
bullying didn't cause him to ignore the cop

he was likely already nuts

Bullying can set the stage for things like this.  People feel cornered and then lash out.  A difficult age for many people.  Glad more people didn't get hurt but this is sad.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

There were students all around; some had dispersed, it was an interesting shot the police officer got off in view of the chaotic situation. I did see the video, the student, Logan, was lunging at people.

Online verga

21 feet is the magic number. If the distance is less than 21 feet the person with the knife has the advantage. They can cover the distance in the bloink of the eye and do some serious damage. There is a video of Billy Bryant "cutting" a person 21 times in less than 5 seconds. Look it up.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

The student is lucky a sharpshooter didn't give him a head shot, that is sometimes what happens in similar types of situations.

Wingnut

geronl

The whole generation is special needs, and they needs to get away from public education

Offline bolobaby

Again, I go back to a story from my personal history...

While on a post-9/11 homeland security deployment, a gun wielding guy came up to one of the checkpoints where soldiers from my unit were stationed. He pointed the gun at the soldiers and issued verbal threats. The quick thinking NCO that was there realized that this guy was trying for "suicide by soldier," not trying to actually kill others. The soldiers talked the guy down and a mentally disturbed man was taken into custody by the DOD police without a shot fired.

The soldiers on that post all received awards for their bravery and good judgment.

Gunning someone down is not always the heroic or brave thing to do. I saw that vid and disagree that the kid HAD to be shot. The thing that HAD to be done was get the other kids out of there immediately. All those idiots just standing around deserved to be stabbed just as much as this kid deserved to be shot.

Me - personally - I'd feel better about myself if I defused that situation without my firearm.

Sorry for my opinion.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

Here's a cop that was much, much more justified in shooting the suspect, but did not. The guy was a MURDER suspect.

This cop took a TREMENDOUS risk, even falling on his arse. I would argue that the boy didn't pose anywhere near the risk this guy did.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9bI1iwQUM

Here's one where they used a taser instead, at close range. A much better outcome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1WtCpM2AbQ
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Unfortunately he was probably mainstreamed into a regular classroom without adequate supervision or, quite frankly, protection from the other kids.
Look, if a kid can't keep up with the rest of the class, if they have trouble grasping concepts, even if they have a physical disability instead of a mental or developmental one, it will become glaringly obvious to everyone, including the kid, that they aren't the same as everyone else. While that doesn't have to be cause for derision from their fellow students, as a rule, kids can be very cruel to anyone who doesn't fit in. Not saying all kids are that way, some will 'make a place' for those who are a bit different and protect them, but others will viciously attack.

When classes were divided into sections based on academic achievement, there was less of that.

Still, someone with two knives, wielding them in a crowd, without knowing when you pull up that they are 'special needs' can still make someone a special corpse. If a knife wielding attacker is within 21 feet (seven steps) of you and your weapon is holstered, they can be administering mortal wounds before you get your weapon out. Even if it isn't holstered, the suddenness and ferocity of an attack can place the person defending at a disadvantage.

Please watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYl2KCdFNgo

We can second guess the officer, we can play "why not this?" all day.
Or we can be thankful that the person the officer shot will be around to learn from all this,, and hopefully get the help they need.

That said, schools have gone all gaga on anti-bullying campaigns. In most places that is some sort of rainbow colored code word for not tormenting the GiBLeTs. "Ordinary" kids still catch hell, and the cruelties that have always existed in the bit of Lord of the Flies that exists in every crowd of kids still go on, just in the  corners and behind the moving screens of other students where the cameras can't see. Yet the kid who strikes back before things get to the point where they want a lethal outcome usually is the one who gets in trouble.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis