Author Topic: Trump to pick oil ally Pruitt to head EPA  (Read 1346 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to pick oil ally Pruitt to head EPA
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:50:38 pm »

Trump to pick oil ally Pruitt to head EPA

By Alex Guillén and Andrew Restuccia

12/07/16 12:20 PM EST

Updated 12/07/16 02:39 PM EST

President-elect Donald Trump is planning to pick Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to run the EPA, putting one of the agency's most hostile critics and a skeptic of climate change science at its helm, sources close to the transition said Wednesday.

As attorney general for a state that is one the nation's biggest oil, natural gas and grain producers, Pruitt has been at the forefront of lawsuits challenging EPA regulations on carbon emissions and water pollution, and he is expected to lead the effort to erase much of President Barack Obama's environmental agenda. Pruitt has also faced accusations that he's unusually close to energy producers, including a 2014 New York Times story reporting that he and other Republican attorneys general had formed an “unprecedented, secretive alliance” with the industry.

more
http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/oklahoma-ag-pruitt-epa-chief-232319
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Trump to pick oil ally Pruitt to head EPA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:57:55 pm »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:10:42 pm »
Great Choice and hope he puts himself out of a job by cutting so much BS out of the EPA. :beer:

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
Now we'll get an object lesson in just how entrenched the federal civil service rank and file are.  My money's on the rank and file.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:29 pm »
Now we'll get an object lesson in just how entrenched the federal civil service rank and file are.  My money's on the rank and file.

Hard to fire them, yes.  But eliminating the positions they hold, or even their entire agency?  That might be easier...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »
Another Hillary-esque, Obama-clone pick, eh?

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »
E. Scott Pruitt (born May 9, 1968) is a United States lawyer and Republican politician from the U.S. state of Oklahoma. He is the current Oklahoma Attorney General.

Pruitt was a State Senator, representing Tulsa and Wagoner counties from 1998 until 2006. When U.S. Congressman Steve Largent decided not to seek reelection in Oklahoma's 1st congressional district, Pruitt ran unsuccessfully for the Republican nomination to succeed Largent against the First Lady of Oklahoma, Cathy Keating and the eventual nominee and winner, John A. Sullivan. In the 2002 election cycle, Pruitt was re-elected without opposition by his home district. Rather than seek re-election in 2006, Pruitt launched a failed campaign to receive the Republican nomination for Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma.

SOURCE: http://digg.com/2016/scott-pruitt-trump-epa

Pruitt Has Recently Questioned The Validity Of The Science Behind Global Warming

Pruitt’s opinion on climate change aligns with that of Trump, who repeatedly has dismissed global warming as a hoax, in conflict with the overwhelming scientific consensus that human activity through greenhouse gas emissions is the primary cause of changes in the climate. He co-authored a piece in the Tulsa World in May that the debate over climate “is far from settled,” and that “scientists continue to disagree about the degree and extent of global warming and its connection to the actions of mankind.”

In 2009, He Tried To Kill The EPA's Declaration That Climate Change Was A Threat To The Public

Pruitt joined a coalition of states and other challengers in a failed attempt to kill EPA’s 2009 scientific declaration that climate change poses a threat to public health and welfare. That EPA "endangerment finding" is the basis for many of the agency's subsequent greenhouse gas rules and is likely to come under new attack under Trump.

Pruitt Is Know For His Lawsuit Against The EPA

Oklahoma, under Pruitt’s lead, was one of two dozen states to file suit against the EPA over the Clean Power Plan, the Obama administration’s regulatory effort to curb emissions from power plants. Pruitt said he would ensure that the power plant rules, and other regulatory efforts from the Obama administration, “will ... not survive his presidency.”

A 2014 Investigation Found That Pruitt, Among Others, Worked With Oil Companies To Organize Against The EPA

Attorneys general in at least a dozen states are working with energy companies and other corporate interests, which in turn are providing them with record amounts of money for their political campaigns, including at least $16 million this year...[N]ever before have attorneys general joined on this scale with corporate interests to challenge Washington and file lawsuits in federal court...For Mr. Pruitt, the benefits have been clear. Lobbyists and company officials have been notably solicitous, helping him raise his profile as president for two years of the Republican Attorneys General Association[.]

Pruitt Has Acknowledged The Need For The EPA, But Specifically Wants To Lift Fossil Fuel Regulations

Speaking to a group of oil and gas executives, Pruitt said:

Whether it’s EPA through [carbon standards], EPA through regional haze [regulations] or Fish and Wildlife through endangered species, what we see is a regulatory approach that says ‘Fossil fuels are bad, and we’re going to do all we can to elevate renewables.’...There is a reason and a need to have an Environmental Protection Agency...The EPA has performed a very important role for us all. There are air-quality issues that cross state lines. There are water-quality issues, obviously, that cross state lines.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »
Hard to fire them, yes.  But eliminating the positions they hold, or even their entire agency?  That might be easier...
That, and not filling vacancies that don't need to be filled (which would be most of them). This seems a very good choice for EPA.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »

I think that would be the safe bet, but looking at most of these cabinet appointments one constant is these are strong people who will fight. I really like this pick and Price at HHS. In both cases these are people who really know the subject their dept. deals with and have been fighting these depts for years.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:18 pm »
An excellent choice -- someone who recognizes the importance of the EPA at its core mission, but questions its mis-directed priorities.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:06:50 am »

It won't be easy but a lot easier than with a Hillary appointee.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23:57 am »
That, and not filling vacancies that don't need to be filled (which would be most of them). This seems a very good choice for EPA.

The fear I have is that EPA will lose some very good people...while the deadwood stays.  Let's hope Pruitt re-funds some of the protective units of EPA that have faced cuts by taking away from the egregiously violating units.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn