Author Topic: Ralph Peters: What our nation would get with Gen. Mattis as Defense Secretary  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I’m lucky enough to know General James Mattis slightly. Just well enough to trust him unreservedly with our military and our nation’s security.

The president-elect could not choose a better man to be our next Secretary of Defense. Not just because Mattis is a battle-hardened Marine with a remarkable combat record. And not just because he has a mind of remarkable clarity and is, without question, the best-read general of his generation.

I trust Jim Mattis because he’s a man of character, that most un-Washingtonian quality. His public image is of one rough-and-tough Marine, but the man I’ve encountered is, above all, one of integrity. His code of honor is so out of fashion that one has to reach back to a Victorian vocabulary:  He has a noble spirit....

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/12/01/ralph-peters-what-our-nation-would-get-with-gen-mattis-as-defense-secretary.html

geronl

It's a really bad idea

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It's a really bad idea

Why?

You keep attacking Mattis on every thread, never offering an real facts or analysis, or even responding to those who do.

Are you just hung up on the "Mad Dog" moniker, which Mattis himself doesn't even like?  He's not a "dumb grunt".  The man is as well read in history, politics, and international cultures as anyone you're going to find.  He's nuanced, sharp, considerate.  And here's something else you may not know:

When Gen. James Mattis retired from the Marine Corps in 2013 after a 41-year career, he planned a cross-country route back to his home state of Washington from his friend’s country cabin.

“The route he chose was dictated by the Gold Star Mothers he had to visit along the way,” says his longtime friend, retired Marine Maj. Gen. Michael Ennis, who first met Mattis in 1972, when they were both new officers. “He spent almost two weeks on that cross-country drive, zig-zagging to get to as many as he could to personally talk to them.”

“He personally wrote hand-written notes to every parent whose son or daughter was killed under his command,” said Ennis. “He cares deeply. He also works very hard to keep his Marines from being killed unnecessarily.”

Ennis described Mattis, who is a contender to be Donald Trump's pick for secretary of defense, as a "classic warrior" who "fights to win."
"He cares deeply about those who serve under him and the parents of those who die under him,” Ennis added.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gen-james-mattis-close-friend/story?id=43718969

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mattis doesn't trust Russia, supports Ukraine, at least, per this article: 

http://meganewsweb.com/en/news/breaking-news-protivnik-putina-i-drug-ukrainy-general-mattis---top-kandidat-na-post-glavy-pentagona---smi

I heard he did once do an interview with RT.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:06:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
Why?

You keep attacking Mattis on every thread, never offering an real facts or analysis, or even responding to those who do.

Are you just hung up on the "Mad Dog" moniker, which Mattis himself doesn't even like?  He's not a "dumb grunt".  The man is as well read in history, politics, and international cultures as anyone you're going to find.  He's nuanced, sharp, considerate.  And here's something else you may not know:

When Gen. James Mattis retired from the Marine Corps in 2013 after a 41-year career, he planned a cross-country route back to his home state of Washington from his friend’s country cabin.

“The route he chose was dictated by the Gold Star Mothers he had to visit along the way,” says his longtime friend, retired Marine Maj. Gen. Michael Ennis, who first met Mattis in 1972, when they were both new officers. “He spent almost two weeks on that cross-country drive, zig-zagging to get to as many as he could to personally talk to them.”

“He personally wrote hand-written notes to every parent whose son or daughter was killed under his command,” said Ennis. “He cares deeply. He also works very hard to keep his Marines from being killed unnecessarily.”

Ennis described Mattis, who is a contender to be Donald Trump's pick for secretary of defense, as a "classic warrior" who "fights to win."
"He cares deeply about those who serve under him and the parents of those who die under him,” Ennis added.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gen-james-mattis-close-friend/story?id=43718969
" “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.”"

Because he is as shallow as a grave for a dead man's shadow....

Mattis is a hellva of soldier and is going to make one of the best SecDefs we have ever had.  Anyone who does not respect and admire him does not know a hat from a bucket of spit.  I was not a Marine and I would follow this guy to hell and back!
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline goodwithagun

I'm slightly inebriated so I'll just state: If Trump doesn't run again we can have Mad Dog 2020!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline King of San Miguel

• Long Live the King!
I'm slightly inebriated so I'll just state: If Trump doesn't run again we can have Mad Dog 2020!

I don't care who you are, that post right there wins the internet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:46:03 am by King of San Miguel »
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system" - George W. Bush

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Does he like that name? I wouldn't want to be known as a mad dog.

Anyway, despite being known as "Mad Dog" his temperment and wisdom on Russia seems a lot wiser than Donny the Clown's.

The only mad dog I see is the one ranting on Twitter like a loon.