Author Topic: Texas Man Holds ‘You Belong’ Sign Outside of Mosque: ‘I Needed to Do Something’  (Read 5379 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas Man Holds ‘You Belong’ Sign Outside of Mosque: ‘I Needed to Do Something’
By Tiare Dunlap•@tiaredunlap

Posted on November 30, 2016 at 3:13pm EST

Justin Normand woke up the morning after the election with the urge to “share peace with [his] neighbors,” he said.

So, the Dallas, Texas, man who manages a sign shop did what he could with the tools he had and made a sign that read: “You belong. Stay strong. Be blessed. We are one America.”

Then, he explained in a Facebook post, “I drove to the nearest mosque and stood out on the public sidewalk to share the peace with my neighbors. My marginalized, fearful, decent, targeted, Muslim neighbors.”

A photo of Normand standing in a cowboy hat holding the sign in front of the Islamic Center of Irving was posted on Twitter and Facebook and has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times.

Continued At: http://people.com/human-interest/texas-man-holds-you-belong-sign-outside-of-mosque/ (pictures)

Offline mountaineer

They belong with people who share their hateful anti-Christian, anti-Jew, anti-women, anti-civilization mentality. That much is true.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

The boy has shit for brains. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
They belong with people who share their hateful anti-Christian, anti-Jew, anti-women, anti-civilization mentality. That much is true.

You're linking the good with the bad.  Yes, it's true that almost all terrorists in recent years have been Muslim.  I understand the apprehension.   But let's not let that apprehension morph into prejudice.   Most Muslims are good neighbors and good citizens. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

You're linking the good with the bad.  Yes, it's true that almost all terrorists in recent years have been Muslim.  I understand the apprehension.   But let's not let that apprehension morph into prejudice.   Most Muslims are good neighbors and good citizens.

Indeed. According to Pew only 20% of US muslims believe terrorist violence is acceptable in defense of Islam.

Offline mountaineer

Indeed. According to Pew only 20% of US muslims believe terrorist violence is acceptable in defense of Islam.
How many does it take? Do the remaining 80% believe the Quran when it says to kill "unbelievers," or are they more casual in their Muslim beliefs?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Jazzhead, you don't know that!  How dare you condescend to others here by talking out your...whatever.  What we do know is that islam is a violent, sociopathic culture, and it would be a reasonable assumption that those who ascribe to it share its values.  There are violent sociopaths in all cultures, but few enshrine and worship violence like islam does. 

Offline TomSea

This has been in a lot of news stories,

I like the act of free speech here, peaceful and nonthreatening, even if I don't agree necessarily with what he is saying.

This is peaceful discourse. I hope nobody would address Mr. Justin Normand in an ugly way but, nonetheless, talk to him and say, this is why I disagree with what you say.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead, you don't know that!  How dare you condescend to others here by talking out your...whatever.  What we do know is that islam is a violent, sociopathic culture, and it would be a reasonable assumption that those who ascribe to it share its values.  There are violent sociopaths in all cultures, but few enshrine and worship violence like islam does.

How dare I condescend?  How dare you defend such bigoted crap?

I want to live in peace just as you do.  But statements like Mountaineer's, labelling all Muslims as suffering from a "hateful anti-Christian, anti-Jew, anti-women, anti-civilization mentality", is a classic example of a self-fulfilling prophecy.   Prejudice begets prejudice.  Most Muslims ARE good citizens and good neighbors.  How'd you feel if I made similarly generalized and hateful statements about Christians?

My own practice is to label the terrorists and their supporters "Islamofascists".  I like the term because it doesn't deny that the root of such terrorism is [a warped vision of] Islam,  but identifies it as an authoritarian political movement which is anathema to peaceable Muslims as well anyone else of common decency.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:49:57 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Their motives will forever remain a mystery.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I want to live in peace just as you do.  But statements like Mountaineer's, labelling all Muslims as suffering from a "hateful anti-Christian, anti-Jew, anti-women, anti-civilization mentality", is a classic example of a self-fulfilling prophecy.   Prejudice begets prejudice.  Most Muslims ARE good citizens and good neighbors.  How'd you feel if I made similarly generalized and hateful statements about Christians?

My own practice is to label the terrorists and their supporters "Islamofascists".  I like the term because it doesn't deny that the root of such terrorism is [a warped vision of] Islam,  but identifies it as an authoritarian political movement which is anathema to peaceable Muslims as well anyone else of common decency.     

Yeah, I thought that's what I was reading in your comment.  Thanks for making it clear. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Have you read a Koran?

2:191-193 Fight and kill unbelievers until “religion is Allah’s,” i.e. Islamic law rules all societies
“And slay them wherever you come upon them, and expel them from where they expelled you; persecution is more grievous than slaying. But fight them not by the Holy Mosque until they should fight you there; then, if they fight you, slay them — such is the recompense of unbelievers, but if they give over, surely Allah is All-forgiving, All-compassionate. Fight them, till there is no persecution and the religion is Allah’s; then if they give over, there shall be no enmity save for evildoers.”

4:34 Beat disobedient women
“Men are the managers of the affairs of women for that Allah has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient, guarding the secret for Allah’s guarding. And those you fear may be rebellious admonish; banish them to their couches, and beat them. If they then obey you, look not for any way against them; Allah is All-high, All-great.”

5:33 Crucify or amputate the hands and feet of those who make war against Allah and Muhammad
“This is the recompense of those who fight against Allah and His Messenger, and hasten about the earth, to do corruption there: they shall be slaughtered, or crucified, or their hands and feet shall alternately be struck off; or they shall be banished from the land. That is a degradation for them in this world; and in the world to come awaits them a mighty chastisement.”

8:12 Allah will terrorize unbelievers; Muslims should behead them
“When thy Lord was revealing to the angels, ‘I am with you; so confirm the believers. I shall cast into the unbelievers’ hearts terror; so smite above the necks, and smite every finger of them!’”

Religion of peace my left hind foot.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline mountaineer

But statements like Mountaineer's, labelling all Muslims as suffering from a "hateful anti-Christian, anti-Jew, anti-women, anti-civilization mentality"   ...
Except that's not what I did. I did not label ALL Muslims anything.

Offline skeeter

How many does it take? Do the remaining 80% believe the Quran when it says to kill "unbelievers," or are they more casual in their Muslim beliefs?

I agree. My comment was meant to be taken with a healthy does of sarcasm.

Thats 660,000 'Americans' who believe violence is acceptable to 'defend Islam' whatever that means.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:38:31 pm by skeeter »

HonestJohn

And how many US Christians believe that violence is acceptable in defense of Christianity?

Asking if people believe in violence to defend their faith is a stupid question.

Asking if people believe in violence to *SPREAD* their faith... is more appropriate.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:09:51 am by HonestJohn »

HonestJohn

"Islam" isn't a culture, but a religion.  It's part of a culture, but cultures are defined by nation/region. 

We don't say the "Buddhist culture"... but "Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Thai/etc Buddhist" culture. In this case, it's used to distinguish between what part of the east Asian nation's population.

And the same goes for Islam.  French Islamic culture... Uighur culture... Indonesian culture... Egyptian culture... etc.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

And how many US Christians believe that violence is acceptable in defense of Christianity?

:thud:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
"Islam" isn't a culture, but a religion.  It's part of a culture, but cultures are defined by nation/region. 

We don't say the "Buddhist culture"... but "Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Thai/etc Buddhist" culture. In this case, it's used to distinguish between what part of the east Asian nation's population.

And the same goes for Islam.  French Islamic culture... Uighur culture... Indonesian culture... Egyptian culture... etc.

Islam isn't a religion.

And what they are culturing isn't peace and goodwill towards all mankind.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline goatprairie

The problem with Islam is that is attracts the most stupid and violent males in the world. Why is that? Obviously, it's because Islam is the only major religion that okays violence towards nonbelievers and suppression of the rights of females. The Koran allows Muslim males  to kill unbelievers and rape and treat women like trash.
If the Koran didn't have those words allowing violence and subjugation of women, would it be like a regular religion with most of its members non-violent and for female equality with men?
Who knows? I only know that although most of the world's Muslims are not violent, the great majority on board with sharia law replacing all other laws governing humans.
Even the great majority of American Muslims believe sharia law would be best.
If a group of American Christians decided that the constitution should be replaced by what the bible advocates, they would have me for enemy.
Until the world's Muslims throw out many of the evil strictures of the Koran, they should always be on a watch list.

HonestJohn

:thud:

Ask yourself this...

If someone showed up at your church and said that he wanted to blow it up because he despised Christianity.  And that he'd already parked a trailer full of explosives right next to your church.

Now, if you and a few other members were armed... would you shoot the guy?
Would you tackle him and tie him up?

That's violence in defense of your faith.

As I mentioned earlier, what is important is:

Asking if people believe in violence to *SPREAD* their faith... is more appropriate.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Ask yourself this...

If someone showed up at your church and said that he wanted to blow it up because he despised Christianity.  And that he'd already parked a trailer full of explosives right next to your church.

Now, if you and a few other members were armed... would you shoot the guy?
Would you tackle him and tie him up?

That's violence in defense of your faith.

As I mentioned earlier, what is important is:

yeah huh

No use asking this guy cause he is going to use violence to spread your faith all over the parking lot, the back lawn...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

HonestJohn

yeah huh

No use asking this guy cause he is going to use violence to spread your faith all over the parking lot, the back lawn...

Defense is violence used to stop violence.

Which is why it was such a stupid question for PEW to ask.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Defense is violence used to stop violence.

Which is why it was such a stupid question for PEW to ask.

No it isn't.

Defense is a forceful act to deter violence.

Offline TomSea

Every single day though, we have hideous and heinous examples of Islamic violence or at least, threatening behavior.

We just had a terror attack in the US; mass graves are found as US supported Iraqi troops close in on Mosul, you have problems in the Philippines, Nigeria, Indonesia, Pakistan, Russia itself, they just had a shootout with terrorists in the Northern Caucuses, that is where Chechnya and Ossetia are. Problems in Germany and France, problems everywhere Islam is showing up.  Israel has dealt with extremists every single day for decades.

Sure, a lot of the decent people do not support them but then, you have all of those other things, Honor Killings, Female Genital Mutilation, I think even when they slaughter their beef, that Halal method is violent.

It really goes on and on.

Some would say Christianity reformed, well, there are Muslims like Zuhdi Jasser who say Islam needs to reform.    https://aifdemocracy.org/

And yes, it's a theocracy, that's why whole governments like Iran, Saudi Arabia are Islamic Republics and even Turkey, is a bit of an Islamic government.

Offline TomSea

Tunisia closed 80 Mosques, Tunisia which is clearly a nation with a dominant Muslim population.

One can meet Muslims and they don't like all the radical types, I knew someone who kept his faith but did not care to go to the Muslim Center.

We are dealing with problems, what does Mark Steyn say? The more Muslims you have, the more problems that nation has. That isn't meant to be prejudicial but just an observation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:48:31 am by TomSea »