Author Topic: Brutal snowstorm on prairie puts Dakota Access protest on ice  (Read 3306 times)

Offline thackney

Brutal snowstorm on prairie puts Dakota Access protest on ice
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:14 pm »
Brutal snowstorm on prairie puts Dakota Access protest on ice
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/29/dakota-access-protesters-leave-as-snowstorm-hits/
November 29, 2016

Most Dakota Access pipeline protesters have ignored the Obama administration’s pleas to vacate their illegal encampment on federal land, but they are listening to Mother Nature.

A brutal North Dakota snowstorm, the first of the season, prompted some activists to book their plane tickets and others to check into local hotels as the protest morphs from hippie festival to frozen wasteland.

“We are definitely observing people leaving through the Bismarck airport, getting on planes and probably going south,” said Morton County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Rob Keller. “Law enforcement is observing cars with out-of-state plates leaving Bismarck and Mandan and going east or west.”

North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple issued an emergency evacuation order Monday as the snowstorm hit, warning activists that they are on their own if they refuse to leave the makeshift camps illegally located on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers land near Cannon Ball.

The governor also said emergency services would likely be unavailable for those who remain. The protesters have been staying in tents, teepees, campers and yurts ill-suited to temperatures expected to dive below zero by next week.

“If you get caught up in this weather and you don’t have a survival kit, you could freeze to death,” Mr. Keller said.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Brutal snowstorm on prairie puts Dakota Access protest on ice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:37 pm »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
“If you get caught up in this weather and you don’t have a survival kit, you could freeze to death,”

Poetic justice for these eco-terrorists...mother Gaia don't care about those who purport to "defend" her.  She's cold and callous...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:38:22 pm »
Snowflakes don't like cold?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 04:11:06 pm »
Thank you, Lord.  :0001:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »
Snowflakes don't like cold?

I'm stealing that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:22:18 pm »

Sure looks cold.

:bigsilly: :bigsilly:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:50 am »

Sure looks cold.

:bigsilly: :bigsilly:
That isn't `cold, that's just snowy. Cold is 40-50 degrees south of that weather. It very seldom snows when it's really cold, here. (Clear skies, windy, and well below zero). As I was told when I first got here, "It has to warm up to snow".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:20:48 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:39 am »
And what are they doing?

Burning oil to stay warm and move themselves out of natures way...

Morons.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »
That isn't `cold, that's just snowy. Cold is 40-50 degrees south of that weather. It very seldom snows when it's really cold, here. (Clear skies, windy, and well below zero). As I was told when I first got here, "It has to warm up to snow".

Looks cold to me! 

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 03:14:27 pm »
100%, snow only falls when air temp is around 30 degrees +/- after that it gets REAL cold....
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 03:15:11 pm »
Buh buh buh, Gaia is our friend!
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:17:29 pm »
The protesters are committed to staying put:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 03:18:46 pm »
As I was told when I first got here, "It has to warm up to snow".

At which point I would have said "nice visiting you", hopped in the U-Haul and headed for Miami.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »
At which point I would have said "nice visiting you", hopped in the U-Haul and headed for Miami.
Better keep the engine heater plugged in or it won't start...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »
Finally.

The true believers just might perish in this if not more careful.  That would likely result in a rash of federal rules related to comforting of future protestors by providing shelter, heaters, etc.

Or they just might wish to review AlGore's apocalyptic "An Inconvenient Truth" to warm them up.  If they wait long enough, AlGore says it will indeed be warm enough to melt the glaciers on Greenland, so surely it will be temperate in ND during December.......
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »
Finally.

The true believers just might perish in this if not more careful.  That would likely result in a rash of federal rules related to comforting of future protestors by providing shelter, heaters, etc.

Or they just might wish to review AlGore's apocalyptic "An Inconvenient Truth" to warm them up.  If they wait long enough, AlGore says it will indeed be warm enough to melt the glaciers on Greenland, so surely it will be temperate in ND during December.......
It's still fairly warm out. I have seen a month here when the HIGH temperature for the month was zero. This is just God's way of letting them know if they aren't ready for that it would be good to leave while they can still get their Prius started.

C S Lewis

debrawiest

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:28 am »
It's still fairly warm out. I have seen a month here when the HIGH temperature for the month was zero. This is just God's way of letting them know if they aren't ready for that it would be good to leave while they can still get their Prius started.

It started snowing here mid-afternoon and I'm pretty sure we have another 6-8". This time it's the powdery stuff that blows easily. The wind is predicted to pick up overnight and we are supposed to have a good old-fashioned, stay-at-home blizzard all day tomorrow. THEN it will get cold.
A great, big hearty ND winter welcome to the "water protectors".

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 04:58:13 am »
It started snowing here mid-afternoon and I'm pretty sure we have another 6-8". This time it's the powdery stuff that blows easily. The wind is predicted to pick up overnight and we are supposed to have a good old-fashioned, stay-at-home blizzard all day tomorrow. THEN it will get cold.
A great, big hearty ND winter welcome to the "water protectors".
Well, snow is still water, just 'solid state'.  It's fairly breezy here with blizzard conditions, and likely about half the snow that there will be over there. Especially after yesterday's Corps announcement, I am sure they will enjoy themselves. There is nothing quite like pulling stakes in miserable weather with a hangover.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:28:12 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 11:32:04 am »

CNN's map is inaccurately portrayed (by them). It makes it look as if the pipeline crosses tribal lands. It does not. This is one of the many lies pushed by the elders of the Standing Rock Sioux, a people acting without honor, who have been donated millions of dollars by people who have believed their falsehoods, falsehoods they have used the global media and social media to spread. 

For an eye opener, and accuracy, see: http://standingrockfactchecker.org/standing-rock-sioux-chairman-continues-spread-falsities-surrounding-dakota-access/

Despite complaints of endangering water supplies, the new intake will be 70 miles from the pipeline crossing, as proposed, http://standingrockfactchecker.org/standing-rock-sioux-tribe-plans-move-water-intake-end-year-protests-began/ but less than two miles from the rail line which carries oil laden trains East.

There are claims the Tribe was left out of the process, but they were invited to participate. Their absence was by choice, their lack of input needed only a letter or a phone call to be rectified at any time during the 13 month review process. During that process, the pipeline route was surveyed by archaeologists on foot, and 140 alterations to the route made to avoid items/areas of possible cultural significance. More on this and other lies the protesters told: http://mwalliancenow.org/news/despite-facts-standing-rock-sioux-tribe-continues-spread-falsities/

But, it's all about water, right? No. At least not in court. http://mwalliancenow.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Document-39.pdf Rather than question any environmental hazard (the vein tapped into for big bucks and gofundme dollars), instead, the Tribe sued (UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA STANDING ROCK SIOUX TRIBE, et  al., Plaintiffs,
v.
U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS, et al.,         Defendants.
in
Civil Action No. 16-1534 (JEB)
For injunctive relief based on the belief that "... the Corps flouted its duty to engage in tribal consultations under the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and that irreparable harm will ensue..."
Not an argument of environmental threat at all, rather claims that culturally and historically valuable sites will be irreparably harmed.

Recall the part above about Archaeologists walking the pipeline route? No such resources were found. Nor were they found when the Northern Border Gas Pipeline was emplaced along much the same route, of the High Tension power lines went in along that same route.

I won't keep you in suspense, but the effort to obtain an injunction failed: the pipeline was to proceed.

Failing in this attempt, the Tribe turned to the media. Most of which has never met a cause against 'Big Oil' it didn't like, be that opposition to drilling, fraccing, flaring gas, building infrastructure, truck transport of crude oil, rail transport of crude oil, pipelines, what have you. The tribe also recognized the power of getting the lies out on social media and playing on the sympathies of the ignorant and misinformed, and between the Tribe and professional protesters and Environmental types, as well as the ignorant, misguided, misinformed, and some 'true believers', used social media to propagate lies about the situation.

Even more, they used the internet to raise more money and support from well meaning dupes all over--millions of dollars 'crowd sourced' and in supplies donated to a cause people thought was just.

The bottom line? They lied.

In the end? the Corps of Engineers refused to issue the easement they had assured ETP they would, in the waning days of corruption of the Obama Administration.
Whether this refusal will stand or not remains to be seen, but it ensures more delay, higher shipping costs, lower wellhead prices, higher taxes, and lower royalty payments, including those made to Tribes with oil under their land (Arikara, Hidatsa, Mandan AKA the Three Affiliated Tribes, members of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa, and others. The Standing Rock Sioux have no oil beneath their tribal lands, but even if they did, after this stunt and the deceit practiced an oil company would have to be run by lunatics to consider developing those resources if there were any.

In the meantime, the State of ND and the LE Agencies in the counties affected will be out some ten million dollars in costs, there is a bridge to be repaired or replaced that suffered damage from burning dump trucks used to block it, numerous subsequent fires, and apparent attempts by protesters to use propane bottles as IEDs.

The construction company has suffered over a million dollars in damage to equipment, local ranchers are missing livestock or have found it killed and partially butchered, including a number of buffalo from a private herd, worth up to 10,000 each to a rancher/processor.

Americans will be stuck with the costs, should there be any, of removing the detritus left by a camp of over 5000 people, as that was mostly on Corps of Engineers (Federal) land.

And for now, Winter will do its thing, and teach the folks from elsewhere a lesson in why oil is a good thing as they try to heat their shacks and tents long enough to pack their stuff and return to whatever place they came from, complete with their ecowhacko merit badge for participating in one of the greatest frauds of the 21st Century.
Seven above this morning with brisk winds and a wind chill of -24, blizzard conditions with visibility under 1/4 mile and occasional whiteout conditions.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 12:55:27 pm »
CNN's map is inaccurately portrayed (by them).

Wow, they changed the map after I posted that.  It was a much larger map with a clear gap between the pipeline route and the reservation.

Edit comment.

Whoops, my mistake.  I posted the enlarged map on another thread.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:00:00 pm by thackney »

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »

Much better. The help at KUMV TV this morning showed a map indicating where a 6 inch pipeline leaked near Belfield, ND. Only the arrow was 150 miles east of Belfield, at Bismarck/Mandan on the Missouri River. The whole meme keeps meme-ing, even though That may have been an accident. (Weatherman was the only talking head in today for the morning show: Travel advisories and blizzard conditions have all of I-94 closed except for a short segment in the Bismarck/Mandan area.

C S Lewis

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:13 pm »
Good let the Luddite vermin and OPEC stooges freeze to death
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »
Good let the Luddite vermin and OPEC stooges freeze to death
Then someone has to collect them, thaw them enough to box them up, and send them back. Lots of paperwork and expense. I would just as soon spare the EMS/Fire, Police, Medical Examiners, and other agencies that task. Much better if they just go home.

C S Lewis