Author Topic: Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!  (Read 12840 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
On FreeRepublic this doesn't go far enough:

To: SamAdams76
Same should apply if they fail to display the colors on July 4, Memday and Vetday.

9 posted on 11/29/2016, 8:49:15 AM by Lisbon1940 (No full-term Governors!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Silver Pines

This is Trumptrolling on a professional level.

Silver Pines

On FreeRepublic this doesn't go far enough:

Freak Republic strikes again.  I saw a friend of mine over there declare that Trump needs to ignore everyone and just "rule."

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Freak Republic strikes again.  I saw a friend of mine over there declare that Trump needs to ignore everyone and just "rule."

Ahhh.... shades of 2008

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

You are right, he is trolling. He is citing a law proposed in 2005 that Hillary co-sponsored to do just this. If it were me, I would be setting up Hillary fans who are screaming about this then turn it on them.

Of course, that's what I would do. I don't know if Trump thought it through that far.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:29:46 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I come from a military family.  My husband, sons and brothers are/were all combat veterans.  I find the idea of restricting our First Amendment rights repugnant and do not believe that they fought for us to have less freedom.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Night Hides Not

I come from a military family.  My husband, sons and brothers are/were all combat veterans.  I find the idea of restricting our First Amendment rights repugnant and do not believe that they fought for us to have less freedom.

Thanks to your family. I also reminded those kindergartners that it is the soldier, sailor, marine, airman, and coast guardsman that guarantee our liberties.

You have to plant those seeds at an early age.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Oceander

http://www.wnd.com/2006/05/35976/

Burn a Mexican flag. Get arrested.

Was he formally charged and prosecuted?  Did he raise the first amendment as a defense to charges?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I don't do twitter so maybe someone can fill me in. Did Trump leave a loophole for proper and honorable ceremony for laying to rest an old flag?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
On this, I stand with Trump.  The U.S. flag represents our country and its citizens.  I see burning the flag as an attack on this country. I disagree with Scalia that burning the flag is a form of expression; is burning down someone's house a form of expression? 

The more intriguing question is whether burning a cross is just a form of expression? The Supreme Court has been very mushy on that one, with Scalia at least pointing out the hypocrisy.

It was a dumb thing for Trump to say because it is settled Constitutional law.  On the other hand, it's no harm done.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Quote from: Freya on Today at 09:27:36 AM
"As a daughter of a veteran, I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye when they presented the flag to my mom at my dad's funeral.

I have been promised said flag by my mom, and I will cherish it. It means something to me. I find the idea of anyone burning any flag repugnant.

Loosing citizenship, is harsh. 20 hours volunteering at a VA hospital might work though as community service. Something like that. Talking to people who the flag means something to."

Yes, the flag is almost sacred to me.  I was presented one at my husband's service at a Veteran's Cemetery in Dallas.  I immediately gave it to my son.  No matter where my son has lived, he has always had a flagpole with the flag.  He used to have the Texas flag under it but now he lives in Colorado. 

Burning the flag is an act of total disrespect to our country.  I think there should be consequences ... just not sure what.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I think some people have gone too far in deeming certain actions 'freedom.'  There are always restrictions on freedom.  Calling the burning of our flag as a right to free speech is wrong.  It's not as though there were no avenues for free speech, especially in the age of the Internet.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think some people have gone too far in deeming certain actions 'freedom.'  There are always restrictions on freedom.  Calling the burning of our flag as a right to free speech is wrong.  It's not as though there were no avenues for free speech, especially in the age of the Internet.

I disagree.  I'm not ok with the government telling me what is free speech and what is not.  (Other than the "fire in a crowded theater" exception.)  And, just because there are other restrictions, it doesn't make it right. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I disagree.  I'm not ok with the government telling me what is free speech and what is not.  (Other than the "fire in a crowded theater" exception.)  And, just because there are other restrictions, it doesn't make it right.
I would not want to see this as legitimizing the "hate speech" concept liberals would be so giddy to get in law to protect the LGBTABCXYZBLT movement.

Getting down to brass tacks, it's a colored piece of cloth (yes it's a symbol, but that concept doesn't translate well into law) and if it's your property it's yours to do with what you like, provided you aren't directly impeding someone else's rights. Not to mention you have to write the law very carefully to allow for proper disposal of the flag.

Outlawing something won't change anyone's hearts you just won't have to look at these people. They are here and they aren't going anywhere unless we convince them. Sweeping them under the rug isn't the answer. Just my dos centavos.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline rodamala

It’s like an Internet comment troll ran for president....  And won.
@Wingnut

U MAD BRO?

Offline LMAO

Agree

If we started restricting free speech rights based on what people find offensive, were does it stop? I find someone burning the flag deeply offensive.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

How is it different from someone giving a speech wherein they screech to a large crowd about how much that hate America and everything it stands for?
There is no difference.
Both a flag burner and a anti-American orator are contemptible  cruds, but that is their constitutional right. I would be very happy if both left the country never to return, but I can't throw them in prison or punish them for their actions.

Online cato potatoe

What do you suppose prompted this tweet?  Is he fishing for drama?  He behaves like a little kid, pushing the boundaries as far as he can.

Offline Night Hides Not

Agree

If we started restricting free speech rights based on what people find offensive, were does it stop? I find someone burning the flag deeply offensive.

The Constitution/Bill of Rights was written to protect American citizens from an overreaching government, not to protect us from things we may find abhorrent.

I don't care if Hillary proposed such legislation 10 years ago, or what Trump is saying now. They are both wrong.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

What do you suppose prompted this tweet?  Is he fishing for drama?  He behaves like a little kid, pushing the boundaries as far as he can.

That's a key feature of playing six dimensional chess: you can always change the rules to strengthen your position.

"Art of the Deal" is nothing but situational ethics.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

You didn't ask me but I'll give you my opinion: he has a shallow and populist ideology, which is based on many of the things one can hear among somewhat less informed social-right-leaning people.  Like birtherism, flag-burning, VA bad, islam, walls for illegal aliens, and "federal" money should be spent on the "right" things.  (Not that those things are necessarily wrong.)

Being a narcissist, he feels the need to be adored, and the shallow, fear-based, LIV, social right group is willing to give him that.  So, much as you or I feel hungry at lunch time and thirsty after mowing the lawn, he gets that needy feeling and tweets.  I eat a sandwich, you drink water, and he tweets and reads the adoring responses.

Offline kjam22

Personally..... I'm fine with making burning the American flag an act of treason for US Citizens.....   It's not speech.... it's an action intended to elicit a response...... but then I'm fine with a law that says a couple of marines can beat the cr*$ out of Kapernick and make him stand during the national anthem too..... so I'm out of touch I know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:33:47 pm by kjam22 »
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline Night Hides Not

Personally..... I'm fine with making burning the American flag an act of treason for US Citizens.....   It's not speech.... it's an action intended to elicit a response...... but then I'm fine with a law that says a couple of marines can beat the cr*$ out of Kapernick and make him stand during the national anthem too..... so I'm out of touch I know.

Hey, marines shouldn't have all the fun!