Author Topic: Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!  (Read 12898 times)

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
You don't have a right not to be offended. That is what the 1st amendment is about, protecting unpopular speech. When you cross the bridge that you're willing to put someone in prison for burning a symbol, where does it end? In time it will be burning a picture of dear leader. It doesn't end well. Liberty has costs and this is one of them, putting up with offensive speech.

Aye.

Oceander

You don't have a right not to be offended. That is what the 1st amendment is about, protecting unpopular speech. When you cross the bridge that you're willing to put someone in prison for burning a symbol, where does it end? In time it will be burning a picture of dear leader. It doesn't end well. Liberty has costs and this is one of them, putting up with offensive speech.

@DB
:thumbsup:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That is a really odd argument and has no meaning.  It's a ridiculous convoluted argument.  If I buy a dog and own it, can I abuse the dog?  No.

But, @Emjay, you can't equate a piece of cloth with a living creature.  Obviously we treat them differently. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:41:31 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

That's the truth.   Political correctness coming from the right is no more defensible than the variety espoused by the left.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:56:00 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Does anyone think the end goal of this is almost a publicity stunt? Trump knows this will provoke protestors to burn the flag. He wants the optics of his opponents. He is Captain America, his enemies are anti-American flag burners.

Maybe he is writing a script.
He's certainly managed to bring the worst of the liberal out of the woodwork and point out their hypocrisy in only wanting people to have rights when they can use those rights to try and damage America.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

HonestJohn

That is a really odd argument and has no meaning.  It's a ridiculous convoluted argument.  If I buy a dog and own it, can I abuse the dog?  No.

Dogs are alive, flags aren't.

Try a comparison using inanimate objects.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:15:53 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline NavyCanDo

So if there was a law passed - what defines an American flag? Lawmakers would have to define what a flag is.  I have at least 2 T-shirts with large American Flags on them. Can I burn them?  On the Fourth of July many of us eat our hamburgers on paper plates decorated with American Flags - and tossing them afterward. Would it be against the law to burn those paper plates?  What about home made flags. If you see people in foreign countries burning American Flags - often they are home-made flags made out of anything from a T-shirt to a piece of cardboard. Can those home-made flags be burned. Lots and lots of what-ifs.

As a veteran and the descendent of veterans from every war going back to the French Indian War nothing angers be more than some commie numbskull burning an American Flag. But it would be a  foolish mistake to chip-away at the First Amendment to protect the flag from protestors.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

As a veteran and the descendent of veterans from every war going back to the French Indian War nothing angers be more than some commie numbskull burning an American Flag. But it would be a  foolish mistake to chip-away at the First Amendment to protect the flag from protestors.   

HOOAH!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So if there was a law passed - what defines an American flag? Lawmakers would have to define what a flag is.  I have at least 2 T-shirts with large American Flags on them. Can I burn them?  On the Fourth of July many of us eat our hamburgers on paper plates decorated with American Flags - and tossing them afterward. Would it be against the law to burn those paper plates?  What about home made flags. If you see people in foreign countries burning American Flags - often they are home-made flags made out of anything from a T-shirt to a piece of cardboard. Can those home-made flags be burned. Lots and lots of what-ifs.

You know what?  It's really weird but I think y'all have convinced me that burning a flag, while a repugnant act, should not be made a crime.  But if some marine decides to kick the burner in the teeth, that shouldn't be a crime either.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You know what?  It's really weird but I think y'all have convinced me that burning a flag, while a repugnant act, should not be made a crime.  But if some marine decides to kick the burner in the teeth, that shouldn't be a crime either.

What is the flag burner was a disabled veteran making a political point about the corruption and problems with the VA?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
What is the flag burner was a disabled veteran making a political point about the corruption and problems with the VA?

A Marine would never hit a disabled veteran.  So, even when you win me over, you want to stomp on me.

Online DB

That's why we have juries... I also believe in jury nullification - meaning there are some circumstances where the action was justified, even if against the law and the jury can say so.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
A Marine would never hit a disabled veteran.  So, even when you win me over, you want to stomp on me.

That wasn't meant as a 'stomp on you' comment. It was simply the point that we value our freedoms and more importantly, individual life over symbols. If the Marine (or anyone for that matter) attacked an individual who was not actually threatening anyone harm, just doing something that offended him, it would be considered assault.  If it is OK to assault someone (deprive them of life, liberty, or property) over the flag, then what does the flag actually stand for?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I appreciate your saying that, @Emjay.

Online DB

Well if that's the case, it is HIGHLY unlikely another veteran would want to assault a disabled veteran protesting the VA.

The bottom line is that is why we have juries. The jury can decided if the assault was justified or not.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I appreciate your saying that, @Emjay.

Thanks, apparently other people still want to argue.  I meant my comment somewhat as a joke (about the Marine) but no everyone thinks I'm funny.

geronl

Maybe he's channeling Hillary?

Charles C. Cooke on Twitter

Trump is the reincarnation of Clinton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thanks, apparently other people still want to argue.  I meant my comment somewhat as a joke (about the Marine) but no everyone thinks I'm funny.

@Emjay

I sort of agree with your joke about the Marine. After all, it's well established legally that speech is not always verbal!  ^-^
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump is the reincarnation of Clinton

History Channel's had separate series on Stalin and Hitler last couple of days (I started watching last night). Both were interesting, featured a couple of history professors from Univ of North Texas.

Without invoking Godwin's Law, one could find comparisons to today regarding the "cult of personality".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online DB

Sometimes I'm too literal... Sorry that I missed it. Wasn't trying to be argumentative.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Sometimes I'm too literal... Sorry that I missed it. Wasn't trying to be argumentative.

Hey, no problem.  Actually, we are here to argue things out and you people have gotten me thinking about a lot of legal ramifications regarding protests, however offensive they might be to some.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Donald Trump Once Appeared to Agree That Flag Burning Was Free Expression
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2016, 10:24:40 pm »

Candace Smith
ABC News
November 30, 2016

Donald Trump recently suggested that those who burn the American flag should be jailed or have their citizenship revoked -- but it appears he did not always feel that way.

In an interview done with David Letterman on Jan. 8, 2015, just months before he launched his campaign, Trump agreed with Letterman "100 percent" that flag burning is a form of expression.
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpsrstfx8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpsrstfx8o

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Donald Trump Once Appeared to Agree That Flag Burning Was Free Expression
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2016, 10:28:14 pm »

Candace Smith
ABC News
November 30, 2016
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpsrstfx8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpsrstfx8o

Typically Trump. Take all sides of every issue.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
As much as I detest the burning of our flag, it's been common political speech for decades. Personally, I think it's passé.

By the same token, if I'm near an assembly where the flag is being burned, pardon me if I exercise my right to speech by doing whatever it takes to stop it.

Best!

Me too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.