Author Topic: Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!  (Read 12878 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If anything could inspire me to burn the flag, its the suggestion that I lose my citizenship for doing so.

Offline kevindavis007

The mother of all bad ideas.. Somebody better take Twitter away from Trump.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Wingnut

It’s like an Internet comment troll ran for president....  And won.

Offline Night Hides Not

As much as I detest the burning of our flag, it's been common political speech for decades. Personally, I think it's passé.

By the same token, if I'm near an assembly where the flag is being burned, pardon me if I exercise my right to speech by doing whatever it takes to stop it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
What a freaking moron and a potentially very dangerous one at that.

Evidently Trump thinks the “Constitution” is that thing he does on his gold plated toilet after eating his Taco Bowl or KFC and that the US Supreme Court is analogous to American Idol voters – knee jerk populism over the rule of law and the 1st A.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/491/397

Trump has also said he wants to appoint a SCOTUS in the mold of Antonin Scalia but evidently he doesn’t have a clue what that actually means.

Antonin Scalia: Flag burning 'a form of expression'

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/02/13/scalia-burning-flag-piers-intv.cnn/video/playlists/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-dead/

“If I were king, I would not allow people to go about burning the American flag. However, we have a First Amendment...” – Justice Scalia

And you cannot revoke someone’s citizenship unless under very rare circumstances and only if they were “naturalized” citizens – Natural-born U.S. citizens may not have their citizenship revoked against their will.

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/can-your-u-s-citizenship-be-revoked-.html

So who aside from flag burners would Trump like to jail to revoke citizenship from? People like me who didn’t vote for him? The cast of Hamilton and SNL? Any reporters who do not work for Breitbart or InfoWars or the NE and who dare publish any non-fawning articles about him or who dare to quote things he’s actually said?

If anything could inspire me to burn the flag, its the suggestion that I lose my citizenship for doing so.

Same here!

Perhaps this guy wasn’t all that wrong about Trump and the Constitution. Just saying….

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Oceander

Another stick in the bundle of fasces that is fascism.

Offline Cripplecreek

Evidently Trump thinks the “Constitution” is that thing he does on his gold plated toilet after eating his Taco Bowl or KFC and that the US Supreme Court is analogous to American Idol voters – knee jerk populism over the rule of law and the 1st A.

The central core of progressivism is the belief that the constitution is an obstacle.

And you cannot revoke someone’s citizenship unless under very rare circumstances and only if they were “naturalized” citizens – Natural-born U.S. citizens may not have their citizenship revoked against their will.

While there is a kneejerk reaction to cry and scream "Godwin's Law!" every time someone mentions the "N" word, Hitler did strip citizenship from German citizens who considered to be enemies as a means of stripping them of their rights.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
As a daughter of a veteran, I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye when they presented the flag to my mom at my dad's funeral.

I have been promised said flag by my mom, and I will cherish it. It means something to me. I find the idea of anyone burning any flag repugnant.

Loosing citizenship, is harsh. 20 hours volunteering at a VA hospital might work though as community service. Something like that. Talking to people who the flag means something to.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If there's a silver lining in any of this...it's taht once he's sworn in...his personal phone will vanish into a box for at least 4 years and he won't have direct access to the POTUS or WH twitter accounts.  That's handled by other people.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Wingnut

If there's a silver lining in any of this...it's taht once he's sworn in...his personal phone will vanish into a box for at least 4 years and he won't have direct access to the POTUS or WH twitter accounts.  That's handled by other people.

Crack addicts always find a pipe!

Offline Cripplecreek

Doubtful but even if that actually happened it wouldn't change who he is and the fact that Orange Julius has a very serious dictator fantasy.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Crack addicts always find a pipe!

LOL! very true.  It wouldn't surprise me to read a story this time next year about how he hides in a closet in the residence and furiously tweets at night from a cell phone he snuck into the WH.  Or that a new round of Twitter attacks coincides with a visit to Trump Tower for the weekend.

Doubtful but even if that actually happened it wouldn't change who he is and the fact that Orange Julius has a very serious dictator fantasy.

@Cripplecreek his dictator fantasy is every bit as severe as BHO's...and even then the folks in the WH Communications Agency managed to wrest his BlackBerry away from him and provide him with a gov't issue BB with a very short white list of approved outside email addresses he could contact.

I'm hoping that kind of stubbornness holds serve with Donny as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline Night Hides Not

As a daughter of a veteran, I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye when they presented the flag to my mom at my dad's funeral.

I have been promised said flag by my mom, and I will cherish it. It means something to me. I find the idea of anyone burning any flag repugnant.

Loosing citizenship, is harsh. 20 hours volunteering at a VA hospital might work though as community service. Something like that. Talking to people who the flag means something to.

I like the way you think.

I invited myself to my grandson's kindergarten class on Veteran's Day. I kept it light-hearted, but I hopefully made an impression on his classmates, where 80% of them come from homes where a language other than English is spoken. I basically said that Americans value traditions such as Veteran's Day, Independence Day, etc., and all they entail.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

He'll find a way to tweet at 3 AM, you can take that to the bank.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I think it's @Emjay  who likes to say Trump won't last a year, I'm beginning to agree with her.

Offline Cripplecreek

I like the way you think.

I invited myself to my grandson's kindergarten class on Veteran's Day. I kept it light-hearted, but I hopefully made an impression on his classmates, where 80% of them come from homes where a language other than English is spoken. I basically said that Americans value traditions such as Veteran's Day, Independence Day, etc., and all they entail.

Funny thing about our flag is the fact that there was no standard version till sometime in the last century. The stars and stripes were the most common widely used form but could have been anything  as long as the colors were correct.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The central core of progressivism is the belief that the constitution is an obstacle.

While there is a kneejerk reaction to cry and scream "Godwin's Law!" every time someone mentions the "N" word, Hitler did strip citizenship from German citizens who considered to be enemies as a means of stripping them of their rights.

Godwin's law doesn't apply when there is a 1 to 1 correlation, in this case, trump's rant mirrored a German law of the era on flag desecration.

Offline libertybele

On this, I stand with Trump.  The U.S. flag represents our country and its citizens.  I see burning the flag as an attack on this country. I disagree with Scalia that burning the flag is a form of expression; is burning down someone's house a form of expression?  No, then don't burn down my flag, insulting my country or my fellow Americans!  There are many who have died so that we can still fly our flag.  Waving, or flying our flag is a demonstration of patriotism and love of country. I am extremely proud to be an American and I deeply love this country. Desecrating our flag is a demonstration of anti-Americanism and hatred of our country.  You want to burn the U.S. flag, then you give up the right to be a citizen of this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.