Author Topic: No, Conservatism Should Not Embrace Populism..By Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 1206 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 No, Conservatism Should Not Embrace Populism
Many political observers are over-interpreting the message sent by Trump’s election.
By Andrew C. McCarthy — November 26, 2016

Populism? No thanks.

I am not now, nor will I ever be, a populist. Evidently, that separates me from a growing number of commentators, including some conservatives, wistfully engaged in Washington’s latest fad: over-interpreting Donald Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election.

The normally sensible Mike Lee, Republican senator from Utah, took to our pages to plead the case of “principled populism” — which is akin to calling for a sober Bacchanalia. Not surprisingly, Senator Lee’s brief doesn’t get very far before strangling in its own illogic, as odes to populism inevitably do. The “characteristic weakness” of populism, he tells us, is the lack of “a coherent philosophy,” which inevitably makes its “proposals” (I’d have said “careenings”) “inconsistent” and “unserious.” Well, yes . . . that is because populism is inherently unprincipled, inconsistent, and unserious, such that arguing for “principled populism” is so much nonsense.

Lee, a very smart guy, is anything but nonsensical. He is clearly trying to exploit Trump’s supposed populist moment for conservative ends. In his telling, “principled populism” becomes a menu of conservative proposals “focused on solving the problems that face working Americans in a fracturing society and global economy.” I’m all for the menu, but that’s not “principled populism”; it’s conservatism — or, as Lee unnecessarily modifies it, “authentic conservatism.”

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/442475/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: No, Conservatism Should Not Embrace Populism..By Andrew C. McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:51:04 pm »
 :amen: Andrew  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »
Do "authentic conservatives" disagree with border security, lower individual and corporate taxes, fair trade, a strong military, the rule of law and States' rights?

Inquiring minds want to know.   :pondering:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »
Do "authentic conservatives" disagree with border security, lower individual and corporate taxes, fair trade, a strong military, the rule of law and States' rights?

This one does without question!  I just doubt that we will get much of that from Trump!  I remain hopeful however.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 03:28:45 pm »
What conservatives should disagree with is growing the size of the federal government and fiscal irresponsibility. Both, BTW, is what we will be getting with Trump unless Congress steps in

And adding a new entitlement to an already over strained fiscal situation is another

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:30:29 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
This one does without question!  I just doubt that we will get much of that from Trump!  I remain hopeful however.

Did you mean you don't disagree?

(Keep the hope @Bigun   Keep the hope!   :beer:)

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »
What conservatives should disagree with is growing the size of the federal government and fiscal irresponsibility. Both, BTW, is what we will be getting with Trump unless Congress steps in

I didn't hear this from Trump at his rallies or read it in his policy papers.  What did I miss @LMAO ?

Thanks.

Online LMAO

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 03:53:59 pm »
I didn't hear this from Trump at his rallies or read it in his policy papers.  What did I miss @LMAO ?

Thanks.

His own words

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:08:03 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 03:54:59 pm »

The McCarthy/NR types absolutely oppose "fair trade" because it is not "free trade," a statement of faith for them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:55:51 pm »

Thanks.
A stimulus package bigger than Obama's. Health care the government pays for. Continued sponsorship of Planned Parenthood. Among a few other things.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »
A stimulus package bigger than Obama's. Health care the government pays for. Continued sponsorship of Planned Parenthood. Among a few other things.

What stimulus package?  Have I missed a very important memo?   Has Obamacare been replaced?  Let's see what Congress proposes on PP.  This might surprise you. 

BTW, carts belong behind the horse @jmyrlefuller   ^-^

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »
The McCarthy/NR types absolutely oppose "fair trade" because it is not "free trade," a statement of faith for them.

What does this mean?  Thanks.

Online LMAO

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 04:04:08 pm »
A new maternity leave entitlement, a fiscally irresponsible college debt forgiveness plan, punitive tariffs on companies making business decisions, ect ect

Of course, Trump's desire for an activist federal government will be depend on how much Congress  is willing to go along with.

What Congress does in response is the wild card in Trump's desire for more central  control
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:07:04 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 04:09:43 pm »

One that nobody has the stones to talk about because they fear being called anti military are Trump's big proposals for rebuilding our military. We all agree that our military needs to be the best and best equipped but they still need to be cost effective without breaking us and driving us ever deeper into debt.

Its time to start telling us where he will make cuts and how he will pay for rebuilding the military.

Personally I think we can help the military the most by being choosier about which wars we get into and which allies we choose.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 04:16:45 pm »
A new maternity leave entitlement, a fiscally irresponsible college debt forgiveness plan, punitive tariffs on companies making business decisions, ect

There is no new maternity leave entitlement.  Will wait to see Congressional input on the college debt proposal (you'll need to take that seat at the table ...).  Tariffs following the footprints of Ronald Reagan to protect US jobs are okay with me.   :shrug:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

Well, I doubt if one really disagrees with border security even if one said so.

Border Security, Terrorism, putting America first and not the globalists, these can't be liberal principles.

After the 3rd term of Clinton, stacking the SCOTUS, possibly endangering 1st and 2nd amendment rights etc. there might not have been an America to go back to.

That is really what it boils down to.

Vs. those who wanted us to do nothing and criticize Trump.

Online LMAO

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »
There is no new maternity leave entitlement.  Will wait to see Congressional input on the college debt proposal (you'll need to take that seat at the table ...).  Tariffs following the footprints of Ronald Reagan to protect US jobs are okay with me.   :shrug:

Correct

Much of what Trump wants will depend on Congress's willingness to go along with them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
Correct

Much of what Trump wants will depend on Congress's willingness to go along with them.

People should note that Reagan's tariffs were extremely limited. It was on complete Japanese bikes over 1100cc and helped one small segment of the only American company making similar bikes (Harley) The tariffs were also time limited. When Japanese companies started manufacturing here they still used mostly foreign made parts. These days it fluctuates with supplier and transport costs. The Reagan tariffs had very little impact out side that one very small niche.

Imposing tariffs on foreign made car parts will impact virtually every single make and model and have a devastating effect across our economy.