Author Topic: Jill Stein, liberals seek voting hack investigation  (Read 3740 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Jill Stein, liberals seek voting hack investigation
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:27 pm »
That's not necessarily germane.  The Iranian centrifuges that were damaged by the Stuxnet virus weren't connected to the internet either; all it had to do was find some way into a system that it could use to leapfrog to the systems that controlled the centrifuges.

Yep, just confirmed my last post. It was introduced locally via a thumb drive, not via the network.
https://nuclear-news.net/2012/04/13/how-the-stuxnet-computer-worm-was-introduced-into-irans-nuclear-plant/

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »
Damn. Who p***sd in your cornflakes 240B? Oceander and I have had our differences for sure (especially the silly "never trump" stuff and his profoundly uniformed view of the "popular vote" nonsense), but even considering that, your response post was a little harsh. The obvious point was that even an LAN not connected to the WWW can be hacked without physical Net connectivity increasing vulnerability.  He's advocating for a possible hack and though I disagree it's likely, he is correct about the LAN vulnerability. I'm guessing that some of the voting systems are connected to the Net (so some of the people in charge can remotely monitor system performance and totals while off site), but I don't know how or how much, which justifies the general discussion and inquiry.

Oceander may indeed be a good candidate for psychotherapy for other reasons, but if so, it was not demonstrated by this single post.

Other than that the harsh flame above I must say that you have some really terrific posts on this thread 240B. Thanks!

BTW, I get that you are being ironic about the Russian involvement, and agree 100%. There is no way that even experienced Dark Net hackers can easily determine the origin of attacks on the web. Proxy-servers, P2Ps and other method can effectively conceal geographical point of origin so well that even a full-on NSA-sponsored forensic examination of the data would be hard-pressed to establish origin beyond a reasonable doubt.

The positive assertions of the Eightball Obama administration about the origin of the recent voting system hacks (prior to the election), DNC/Email and other recent hacks being conclusively Russian are pure absolute bullshirt. The 'Crats are flat out guessing but stating their own morbid fantasies as facts because it is politically expedient and the Eightball has NEVER stopped campaigning in the entire eight years he has infested the Oval Orifice. 

@LateForLunch
Thank you for the defense.  And just for the record, I don't think that a hack took place; my only point - as you surmised - was that being connected to the internet is not a precondition for a remote hack. 

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 09:53:42 pm »
Yep, just confirmed my last post. It was introduced locally via a thumb drive, not via the network.
https://nuclear-news.net/2012/04/13/how-the-stuxnet-computer-worm-was-introduced-into-irans-nuclear-plant/

Stuxnet was a very sophisticated worm. 

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:15 pm »

I have also heard of hacks that go in through a completely different system that is by itself considered low-value, say a pumping controller at a local substation or waterplant, but which is connected through other systems to a system that is of high value, such as a dam controlling system (I'm just making up the targets because I can't remember all the details of what I read).