Author Topic: 'We don't need the FCC': A Trump advisor's proposal to dissolve America's telecom watchdog  (Read 3824 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES

URL: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fcc-jamison-20161122-story.html

by: Brian Fung

A top advisor to Donald Trump on tech policy matters proposed all but abolishing the nation's telecom regulator last month, foreshadowing possible moves by the president-elect to sharply reduce the Federal Communications Commission's role as a consumer protection watchdog.

In an Oct. 21 blog post, Mark Jamison, who on Monday was named one of two members of Trump's tech policy transition team, laid out his ideal vision for the government's role in telecommunications, concluding there is little need for the agency to exist.

"Most of the original motivations for having an FCC have gone away," Jamison wrote. "Telecommunications network providers and [Internet service providers] are rarely, if ever, monopolies."

The FCC declined to comment for this story, but its current leadership has disagreed strongly with that analysis. Its Democratic chairman, Tom Wheeler, has spoken of an Internet service "duopoly" in much of the country that limits competition. And he has compared telecommunications to the rail and telegraph networks of the 19th century, calling for new rules of the road as the Internet becomes the dominant communications platform of the 21st century.

Wheeler has used his agency to go after allegedly misbehaving companies, proposing record-setting fines against companies for slowing down "unlimited" data plans and for billing customers for content and services they didn't ask for. He passed proactive regulations such as net neutrality to prohibit anticompetitive behavior. And, in an unprecedented step, Wheeler made Internet providers obey the same privacy rules that legacy phone companies must abide by when handling customer data.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

More good news, more points for Trump.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

If he's serious, this would actually be one of his smartest moves. There's no need for the FCC anymore,
if ever there really was. We have way more listening and viewing choices now than in the years
the agency was born. And we have the single most effective way of declining to hear or view what
we don't like. It's called a channel changer or even an off button. The government should butt the
hell out of radio and television---for openers.

As for the Internet, that might fall more properly under the aegis of the Interstate Commerce Commission
by now, wouldn't it? In which regard, the less regulation the better.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:12:05 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

Kill it.  The FCC is toxic and no longer needed. 

Good move for a Trumpcus admin.  Take it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Kill it.  The FCC is toxic and no longer needed. 

Good move for a Trumpcus admin.  Take it.

Am I the only one who notices it's a pretty good move for, say, a billionaire wanting to move into the TV market too?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

HonestJohn

The FCC auctions off parts of the EM spectrum for commercial use.  By doing so, it keeps cell phone companies from using the same frequency bands, which would cause everyone's cell phones to interfere with each other. 

If you use AT&T, they bought a certain spectrum of bandwidth, Verizon... another.  T-Mobile, yet another.

Furthermore, they keep commercial business from using military frequencies and bandwidth.  This ensures that we aren't forced to see US military personel coming into businesses and shutting their communications down when they interfere.

It's the same for broadcast television and radio. 

And they also work with the telecommunication industry so that as new technologies are developed, there can be an agreed upon portion of the EM spectrum dedicated for it's use.  The planning helps keep business from spending money on transmitters that would interfere with other, already existing, industry and military.

Useless?  Only to those that have no clue.

Wingnut

Am I the only one who notices it's a pretty good move for, say, a billionaire wanting to move into the TV market too?

Probably.   

Offline Suppressed

:0001:

BINGO.

It's exactly the type of thing I'd do if I wanted to harm America.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Meldrew

It will be interesting to watch this "we don't need the FCC" idea work its way through the nascent Trump administration.  You are absolutely correct that the FCC has some functions that are fundamentally critical to the safe and smooth operation of the spectrum and it will be instructive to watch Trump to see if he's deft enough to separate the necessary functions from the political or if he just abolishes the whole agency because it's popular and he can.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The FCC auctions off parts of the EM spectrum for commercial use.  By doing so, it keeps cell phone companies from using the same frequency bands, which would cause everyone's cell phones to interfere with each other. 

If you use AT&T, they bought a certain spectrum of bandwidth, Verizon... another.  T-Mobile, yet another.

Furthermore, they keep commercial business from using military frequencies and bandwidth.  This ensures that we aren't forced to see US military personel coming into businesses and shutting their communications down when they interfere.

It's the same for broadcast television and radio. 

And they also work with the telecommunication industry so that as new technologies are developed, there can be an agreed upon portion of the EM spectrum dedicated for it's use.  The planning helps keep business from spending money on transmitters that would interfere with other, already existing, industry and military.

Bingo you beat me to it. First reading the article I was wondering how out of tech touch the adviser was. Frequency allocation and distribution could be argued as the modern 'postal road' as authorized by the Constitution and are a critical component of modern infrastructure. Its scope and power can be greatly reduced but I don't even want to imagine the frequency chaos without some sort of governance. It could be privatized I suppose. Imagine if Sprint for example wanted to block out AT&T from a market so started blasting frequency interference on their 700mhz allocated frequency to block all their signals. Add to that blocking emergency services and other communication frequencies. Add to that, financially devastating telecommunication companies that lease frequency bandwidth and do so off existing contracts with the government that will be broken.

It will be a litigation nightmare at best. Currently hundreds of companies have contracts with the government for bandwidth allocation. Contracts that have to be honored.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

According to my GPS, and confirmed on my phone using wi-fi, I live just over two miles from the Tampa Intl Airport and I see no problem with this.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline jpsb

If he's serious, this would actually be one of his smartest moves. There's no need for the FCC anymore,
if ever there really was. We have way more listening and viewing choices now than in the years
the agency was born. And we have the single most effective way of declining to hear or view what
we don't like. It's called a channel changer or even an off button. The government should butt the
hell out of radio and television---for openers.

As for the Internet, that might fall more properly under the aegis of the Interstate Commerce Commission
by now, wouldn't it? In which regard, the less regulation the better.

What prevents me from broadcasting on 101 FM?

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda

I could have predicted this when I posted the CHALLENGE to the Donny to BUY a TV Network  ...over on FLEA REPUBLIC!!!   

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
BINGO.

It's exactly the type of thing I'd do if I wanted to harm America.

donny thinks were ALL too DUMB to know jack about ANYTHING...his only contacts with the less than WEALTHY ...are with his alt-wrong supporters..... who on fact don't appear to have much OF a clue about ANYTHING !
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
What prevents me from broadcasting on 101 FM?

A radio station that already has the band, depending on where you're thinking of doing it, unless
the station hires you to broadcast. (From the look of it there are thousands of FM stations around
the country and elsewhere who have that band, but I don't think it's occupied in every known
radio market.)

If you're in an area where no one's broadcasting on it, you could do it, assuming you have the
capital to build and operate a powerful FM radio station. Without the FCC, you'd have
a better chance of entering through a free market, assuming there aren't other regulatory hurdles
you'd need to clear. I think that's how it works, though I could be mistaken. (Sometimes stations
have a band with decimal point and advertise themselves up to the next non-decimal number; I
once worked for a pair of stations under the same ownership, one AM and one FM, and the FM
station's actual band was 103.9 but it advertised itself as "Cool 104.")
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:53:22 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Meldrew

If you're in an area where no one's broadcasting on it, you could do it, assuming you have the
capital to build and operate a powerful FM radio station.

That's a lot of work. Why not just move up some, say to 108-137Mhz.  :silly:

geronl

Not if he wants to replace it with something worse

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
So the FCC won't let me be or let me be me so let me see....
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

geronl

We have to remember that many on the Trump Dark Side think he has the power to take over the TV networks and shut them down

Offline DB

First, the FCC should have no jurisdiction over wired networks - telephone and cable for example.

Second, the FCC is very much required to manage radio frequency transmission or they would be unusable.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No. Actually, you aren't, but nice of you to notice.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So everyone will try to broadcast on the same frequencies? This should work out well...  :thud:

I'm small government as much as anyone else but c'mon here... some functions of the FCC are legitimate.

• Technical
I dug deeper into the story:

Jamison has argued that the FCC could be replaced by a much smaller agency charged with handing out licenses for wireless airwaves — essentially acting as a traffic cop for the spectrum over which cellphone calls, mobile data and TV signals travel.

So he's not arguing that we would allow people to broadcast on whatever frequency they wanted.

Not bad...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
So everyone will try to broadcast on the same frequencies? This should work out well...  :thud:

I'm small government as much as anyone else but c'mon here... some functions of the FCC are legitimate.

The FCC is about the most unobtrusive of the federal agencies and actually does the job largely as intended. Only a moron would think Trump could do the job better after his repeated complaints about free speech.

• Technical
The FCC is about the most unobtrusive of the federal agencies and actually does the job largely as intended. Only a moron would think Trump could do the job better after his repeated complaints about free speech.

See my post above, he doesn't advocate anarchy, just reducing the FCC to a "traffic cop" function of regulating broadcast frequencies and that's it.

Not the worst idea I've ever heard.