Author Topic: Trump building project makes headway after call with Argentine president  (Read 2533 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Using some of that President influence to enrich his own businesses.

A stalled building project in Argentina bearing President-elect Donald Trump’s name reportedly picked up steam days after he spoke with Argentina’s president.

According to Quartz, three days after Trump spoke with President Mauricio Macri, one of his real estate projects in Buenos Aires made headway after years of delays. That report was based on a story out of the Argentina-based La Nacion....

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/307345-report-trump-building-project-makes-headway-after-call-with-argentinian

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump building project makes headway after call with Argentine president
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:33:13 pm »

I think that we really need to question Trumps foreign policy considering that he isn't even interested in official briefings.  I think it is fair to question whether the conflict of interest is a real concern.  I posted on his son meeting on Syria policy even before he won.  And he has a business deal in Turkey also.  Turkey, Iran and Russia making deals with Trump?  Argentina also.  Wonder what business deals in Japan???

shaking head:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/23/world/politics-diplomacy-world/will-trumps-foreign-policies-hurt-or-help-his-business-empire/#.WDc0KmfTmh0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:43:54 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:42:58 pm »
Its gonna be a long four years if Trump does;t start being more careful.

But #^$% the media for suddenly giving a crap about such conflicts of interest.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:43 pm »

Yep, there were many people who questioned that even in the Primaries.  But the Art of the Deal had a strange influence.  Its called deception.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »

Suddenly giving a crap?

geronl

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 10:24:03 pm »
He's a scambag through and through

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:16:06 pm »
Trump's potential for conflict of interest is 'almost infinite'

Jake Novak   | @jakejakeny

Most of the controversies surrounding President-elect Donald Trump during and after the election were especially divisive along old and new partisan lines. His statements about immigration, trade, and now his cabinet choices all seem to please or outrage voters based on their ideological background.

But the biggest Trump fans and "Never Trumpers" alike should be concerned about something we haven't yet quite experienced on such a serious scale in American politics, and that is having a President of the United States who's also the owner of dozens of iconic and eponymous businesses. Oh, and so far that incoming president says he intends to continue owning and running them.

It's not just that Mr. Trump is a businessperson, it's the fact that he has so many varied and well-known business interests that the potential for conflict of interest is almost infinite. This is a far cry from President Jimmy Carter, who was able to solve his potential conflicts simply by handing his peanut farm over to an independent lawyer for his term in the White House.

Sure, it's possible someone could have found a way to curry favor with Mr. Carter by doing a generous amount of business with that farm, but that was always a bit of a stretch. And since the farm was President Carter's one and only recognizable business, doing any kind of shady deal connected to it would have been very hard to conceal or whitewash in some way.

The President-elect owns residential and commercial real estate in the most expensive urban locations in America, hotels and golf clubs all over the world, just to name a few. He has varied stock holdings in any number of companies that could easily be positively effected by legislation or Executive Orders. Just today, the Associated Press reported that he has a relatively small stock holding in the company building the highly controversial Dakota Access oil pipeline. The list goes on and on.

And so far, Mr. Trump has been basically defiant in response to critics who say he needs to make some major moves to reduce the temptations from every side for financial/political chicanery. During his meeting with the New York Times earlier this week, Trump said he intends to keep running his businesses and that, "the law's totally on my side, the president can't have a conflict of interest. And legal scholars have since mostly backed him up on that claim, with the possible exception of deals with foreign countries.

"The so-called "solutions" to the Trump conflict of interest issue are no solutions at all. Looking closely at them reveals they are all simply different levels of trouble."

Why don't we have tougher rules? The most obvious reason is the United States has never really been in a predicament like this with such an entrepreneurial and competitive business owner in major office. The closest we've experienced to something like this were the 12 years Michael Bloomberg served as Mayor of New York City.

Bloomberg made promises that he would not take an active role in running his business during those years, a promise most reports say he did not keep, but there were also never any real accusations and evidence that Bloomberg was guilty of any conflict of interest during his time in office. And while New York City carries out the equivalent of many nations' commerce in any given year, comparing the position of mayor to President of the United States is no real comparison at all.

<..snip..>

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/25/trump-potential-conflict-of-interest-almost-infinite-commentary.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 12:55:49 am »
If trump ends up impeached I hope he ends up in prison.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:26:49 am »

:thumbsup:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:37:33 am »

I would hope it would serve as an example for the next president.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:41:12 am »

Could be worse... like selling out the Country to enrich ones foundation.

I doubt The Orange One gave away all our uranium ... say Russia..... or sub tech to China for a few million like the Clintons.

But yes.. it looks sorta bad. More like an Argentina Kiss up rather than the State secrete/security loss from the Clintons.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

geronl

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:42:13 am »
Could be worse... like selling out the Country to enrich ones foundation.

"Clinton was worse" is the catch-all excuse, no matter how bad it gets

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 01:44:43 am »

Washington is thoroughly corrupt. Look at Hillary as exhibit A. Trump want's to be exhibit B and why not. Its a mutual protection racket where it is in no ones interest to halt the party.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 01:48:15 am »
"Clinton was worse" is the catch-all excuse, no matter how bad it gets

Oh no, I am sure some think Hillary would be better.

Personally, I could care less about this one. There is no compelling State interest. Unless you have something showing Trump making Argentina a Nuclear power or something for what?

I do not care for Trump, but I care for America. So far, I cannot dog on Trump for what he is doing. It is far better than what we "could" of had under Hillary.

This Cruz man is willing to give it a chance.

I would rather of had Ted... but here we are.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

geronl

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:53:47 am »

So trump could literally use the Oval Office for his personal gain and you won't care. wow.

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 01:56:04 am »

So trump could literally use the Oval Office for his personal gain and you won't care. wow.

Nope. "But Clinton" will be the rebuttal for the next 4 years. Our side has lost it's mind.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 02:03:00 am »

I imagine one could find examples of every President whose personal fortunes gained from being elected President.

Well, except for Dubya's baseball team.   :smokin:

Seriously, this is small ball stuff. If it impacted National Security.. then I have a problem. Heck, even if true.. woopee. It's not like Trump could not have done the same thing by buying Argentina beef to put his logo on. And That ...if you consider this in the worst light possible.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 02:08:41 am »

Nope. "But Clinton" will be the rebuttal for the next 4 years. Our side has lost it's mind.

May I ask you what Trump has done sine elected that bothers you?

I mean really done. His Cabinet picks... is there a problem? Ford keeping it's crossover here.. a problem.. Carrier maybe keeping its plant here.. a problem?

Seriously folks. Give it a chance.. heck, I maxed to Ted. I hated the Orange One. But then he engaged Heritage, picked Pence over Christy.... he has made mostly the right moves. So I... like Ted will cautiosly support him.

A Simple Bricklayer

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 02:22:05 am »

That appears to be the case among the toady class.

Grovel and scrape grovel and scrape.

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 02:24:47 am »
May I ask you what Trump has done sine elected that bothers you?

When I voted for Trump I assumed, admittedly naively, I figured he'd change, give away his business (he said his children would run his organization) etc.

Not just me btw. This kind of stuff will just drag on his administration: for example the story about the government renting a few floors from Trump towers. People will get upset over this stuff.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 02:27:27 am »
That appears to be the case among the toady class.

Grovel and scrape grovel and scrape.

If Trump wants some of the best Stonework.. I'd oblige...... for a price... Meh   :shrug:

Same as if you wanted such.

A Simple(Groveling some would say) Bricklayer.   :tongue2:

Frederick Douglass

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 02:33:24 am »
Buenos Aires says permit for Trump-linked project not authorized
Reuters/OANN,  11/26/16, Hugh Bronstein and Luc Cohen

The city of Buenos Aires has declined to authorize a permit to build an office tower linked to U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, and developers will have to file new paperwork for it to be reconsidered, the city government said in a statement on Friday.

The “Trump Tower” project near Buenos Aires’ central obelisk made international headlines after a local news report said Trump mentioned the proposed office complex when Argentine President Mauricio Macri put in a congratulatory call to Trump after his Nov. 8 election victory.

The Macri administration said the reports were untrue and that the project was not mentioned during the call.

Trump, a businessman who has never held public office, has real estate and leisure holdings all over the world, sparking concerns his investments could color his decision-making in office.

The Buenos Aires city government issued its statement “in response to public interest in the possible construction of the so-called ‘Trump Tower’ in the center of Buenos Aires.”

A city spokesman said Trump’s name had not appeared in the permit requests, and The Trump Organization did not respond to an emailed request for comment on Friday evening.

http://www.oann.com/buenos-aires-city-says-tower-project-linked-to-trump-lacks-permit/ 

Offline Fantom

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:51 am »

When I voted for Trump I assumed, admittedly naively, I figured he'd change, give away his business (he said his children would run his organization) etc.

Not just me btw. This kind of stuff will just drag on his administration: for example the story about the government renting a few floors from Trump towers. People will get upset over this stuff.

Last first as is my wont.

I come not to Praise Trump... but to bury Him.

Seriously though, I hear you. First, the SS have to occupy every dwelling The President will use. I agree that Trump would do well to take any monies.. monies he may well be required by law to charge .. and if so, give it to charity. I guess we will see on that one.

As for his business. There is no Constitutional requirement for him to put it into a blind trust. I do hope he turns it over to his Kids... but even that is not required.

As to change. I suspect the Office changes almost everyone in some fashion. Less than two weeks in and not yet Sworn in. I can wait to take a true sounding. So far, I am content I voted for Trump.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:53 am »

Uh, wut?  :silly:

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 02:53:22 am »
They aren't draining the swamp they are simply tilting it towards themselves.
It's no wonder they won't go after the Clinton Global Initiative.  It's small potatoes compared to the absolute corruption in this sickening cabal of trumpsters.