Author Topic: Conservatives Should Embrace Principled Populism — and Govern with Trump...By Mike Lee  (Read 3217 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Conservatives Should Embrace Principled Populism — and Govern with Trump
By partnering, conservatives can help a President Trump decentralize power.
By Mike Lee — November 24, 2016

‘It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones,” Calvin Coolidge once said. With a unified federal government soon to be in Republican hands, however, maybe we can do a bit of both.

But how? While congressional Republicans tend to identify as conservatives, President-elect Donald Trump is a populist. Many observers, including some Republicans, see this as an un-squareable circle.

I disagree. For all the challenges a President Trump may present conservatives during his term, his populism need not be one of them. Far from contradictory, conservatism and populism complement each other in ways that can change history — as did the most successful populist in recent decades, Ronald Reagan.

The chief political weakness of conservatism is its difficulty identifying problems that are appropriate for political correction. Conservatism’s view of human nature and history teaches us that problems are inevitable in this world and that attempts to use government to solve them often only make things worse.

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/442450/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Conservatives Should Embrace Principled Populism — and Govern with Trump
By partnering, conservatives can help a President Trump decentralize power.
By Mike Lee — November 24, 2016

The chief political weakness of conservatism is its difficulty identifying problems that are appropriate for political correction. Conservatism’s view of human nature and history teaches us that problems are inevitable in this world and that attempts to use government to solve them often only make things worse.

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/442450/print
I'm not so sure. IMHO, just repeal laws until we tell you to quit.
This might take a while, so be patient. We'll send a messenger on foot when we think you are 'there'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

A yuge fear of mine is that conservatism will be redefined to match Trump's policies/ideology. I think that's already begun.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

A yuge fear of mine is that conservatism will be redefined to match Trump's policies/ideology. I think that's already begun.
I think that is one of the greatest dangers to conservatism. First (and bad enough), "Republican" has become equated with "conservative", but with Trump as the standard bearer of the GOP, the "Right" and "Republican" and "conservative" will be redefined by his actions, shifting the political center to the left some more.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Wouldn't embracing "principled populism" require that Trump concede his status as President Elect to the clear winner of the popular vote?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

There is no such thing as principled populism.

Online roamer_1

'Principled Populism'? WTF is that, except a contradiction in terms?
There is not a single principle to be found in this movement.

No thanks.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Good article,

Trump is just like Reagan, Lincoln, etc.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
'Principled Populism'? WTF is that, except a contradiction in terms?
There is not a single principle to be found in this movement.

No thanks.

Populism is about as useful as mob rule democracy. Its nothing but pure emotion driven decision making. Our founders pretty clearly rejected populism and the constitution reflects that.

Watching a couple decades of conservatives chasing one political Justin Beiber after another like teenage girls only to end up disappointed but chasing the next shows why populism is an idiots fast track route to failure.

The national popular vote is popular right now. Even Donald Trump wants to toss out the electoral college so lets do it and our constitutional republic be damned!

Online roamer_1

The national popular vote is popular right now. Even Donald Trump wants to toss out the electoral college so lets do it and our constitutional republic be damned!

S'alright with me. Union requires some form of unity in purpose... That seems to be all but gone nowadays. I feel for all these poor bastards... I'll just crawl back into the sticks to live, fat as a tick. and let y'all figure it out for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

Offline goatprairie

That is a yuge fear of all principled conservatives. There is no Trumpist ideology as such...it's what he decides that day or hour.
He was already quoted as saying that conservatism will be put on hold until "he solves all the nation's problems." Seriously.
But yes, let's get behind this confidence man who is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and of whom millions of conservatives (like me) voted for to avoid Hillary.
We are hoping for the destruction of many of King Barack's illegal orders....if he can just get some of that accomplished and ignore his dumber ideas, we'll be grateful.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How can anything Trump says or does have any effect on conservatism?  After all Trump denies he's a conservative. He is only the President Elect.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
I think that is one of the greatest dangers to conservatism. First (and bad enough), "Republican" has become equated with "conservative", but with Trump as the standard bearer of the GOP, the "Right" and "Republican" and "conservative" will be redefined by his actions, shifting the political center to the left some more.

That's a big part of why I started this thread:

Expanding our reach

We need to preserve the principles of conservatism and expand the group of people who enthusiastically espouse them.  What name those principles are called is much less important.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline goodwithagun

How can anything Trump says or does have any effect on conservatism?  After all Trump denies he's a conservative. He is only the President Elect.

Hmm. I suppose I should have typed Trump and his worshippers.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

But he lies so. The Liberals will tell you that. Along with the Conservatives.

You see, it won't matter what Trump calls himself. Trump is a Republican, and therefore, in conventional wisdom, a conservative, because in the CW mind, Republican=conservative, and to a liberal, it's all the same because whatever you call it, it isn't liberal, so it has to be right wing and conservative.

It is a term being rendered meaningless as we type, despite protests that Conservative does not necessarily equal Republican, nor the other way around.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Another example of Trump draining the swamp...and replacing it.......... with the swamp

geronl

Trump is not principled, for one.

and NO WAY JOSE to populism

Offline uglybiker

Another example of Trump draining the swamp...and replacing it.......... with the swamp

But it'll be a better swamp! The BEST swamp! It'll be YUUUGE!
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

HonestJohn

But he lies so. The Liberals will tell you that. Along with the Conservatives.

You see, it won't matter what Trump calls himself. Trump is a Republican, and therefore, in conventional wisdom, a conservative, because in the CW mind, Republican=conservative, and to a liberal, it's all the same because whatever you call it, it isn't liberal, so it has to be right wing and conservative.

It is a term being rendered meaningless as we type, despite protests that Conservative does not necessarily equal Republican, nor the other way around.

What's "CW"?

:shrug:

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Show me a country where populism has ever succeeded?

It's a cancer IMO.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
For a so-called populist, Mr. Trump seems to be making good cabinet picks so far.

As Nixon once said (paraphrased):
"Don't listen to what we say, watch what we do..."

Online DB

Principled Populism is an oxymoron.

geronl

For a so-called populist, Mr. Trump seems to be making good cabinet picks so far.

Not that I have seen. Mostly sycophants and butt kissers.

geronl

Offline Smokin Joe

What's "CW"?

:shrug:
"Conventional Wisdom", which pretty much sums up all the things people know that aren't true.

C S Lewis