Author Topic: A Wingnuts Very Special Thanksgiving Story  (Read 6541 times)

Wingnut

A Wingnuts Very Special Thanksgiving Story
« on: November 24, 2016, 11:00:37 am »
The following is a true story. It happened some years ago in a far away kitchen. The names have not been changed to protect the guilty. No live animals or humans suffered permanent damage as a result of this incident. 

A Wingnuts Very Special Thanksgiving.

As this is Thanksgiving  I was just up early
at 5AM this morning to put my special rub on our bird. I always let it soak in before cooking the the turkey on the Weber. It is a very fine rub. A bird worthy rub.  One with special mixture of oils and spices that just "goldens up" the bird when slow cooked. Yumm Yumm. It's to die for.....
Well after I had that sucker all greased up and was about to transfer it to an oven pan, I lost my grip on the 14 pounder and that damn turkey shot out of my hands like a rocket.  It bounced 3 or 4  upon a hard landing an it was not scrubbing speed off as it was slip sliding away across the kitchen floor!

Now normally this would be not be a problem. Just pick
the bird up and hose it off. I mean hell, any germs will be
cooked off on the grill  and any extra grit can pass for extra seasoning spice.
But Noooo not today. Beau, our Golden Retriever, (who all this time had been watching me prep the turkey like a vulture waiting for his next victim) saw the turkey shoot out of my hands and he takes off after it!
For a short while the wayward bird was out running Beau, but finally the friction of the ceramic tile floor slowed it down enough for the dog to pounce. Now mind you, all this time I'm yelling like a mad man
at the frick'n turkey, and at the dog...to both STOP!

Now somehow, and I still can't grasp the physics
of this, but the turkey took a hard left turn on
the floor and headed for the door to escape out the garage. Maybe Beau slapshot it with a reaching paw, or maybe it bounced off a chair leg like a bumper pool ball. I don't know. But anyway, just then poor Beau got caught up in the oil slick the turkey was leaving behind and he skated out of control and slammed smack dab into the wall...hard! BAMMM
I'm close on Beau and the birds trail, as all of this is unfolding. Then I too get caught up in the oil,.... Bamm! Down I go.... on my butt slip sliding away on the oil slick. So there we are... like Larry, Mo and Curly all up against the wall in a sorry heap of dog fur, turkey and a Wingnut.

The turkey was a little worse for wear. It is slightly deformed with a left wing dangling down and a leg is missing.  But now it back in the fridge...resting.

I think I'll take bath now and soak my sore butt.
As for Beau...he's outside barking at skwerls and eating a raw turkey leg. Beau loves skwerls almost as much as turkey.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: A Wingnuts Very Special Thanksgiving Story
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »
This story reminded me of the late Jean Shepard and made me laugh, Poor Beau!

Have a very happy turkey day, Wingnut and family.

Thank you for sharing.

:silly:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »
Well I'm going to Livonia.

That's all I got.

Best served with dingelberry sauce.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »
Happy Turkey Day Wingnut.  Thanks for a great story which reminds me of my own true story that involved a ham...as a youngster (many many moons ago) I was watching my Dad and grandma prepare a ham.  The ham on the way to the oven somehow and I could never quite figure out how, wound up slipping out of hands flying up towards the ceiling and falling to the floor.  My Dad quickly swooped up the ham and decided to cook it on the grill.  I came out with questions of course.  Both of them realized that they had been discovered and begged for my silence and proceeded to tell me that if anyone asks, they decided to smoke the ham and any grit could pass for extra seasoning!   :silly:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:51:41 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:50:38 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving Wingnut.  Great story which reminds me of my own true story that involved a ham...as a youngster (many many moons ago) I was watching my Dad and grandma prepare a ham.  The ham on the way to the oven somehow and I could never quite figure out how, wound up slipping out of hands flying up towards the ceiling and falling to the floor.  My Dad quickly swooped up the ham and decided to cook it on the grill.  I came out with questions of course.  Both of them realized that they had been discovered and begged for my silence and proceeded to tell me that if anyone asks, they decided to smoke the ham and any grit could pass for extra seasoning!

No one was anythe wiser!   lol    :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
No one was anythe wiser!   lol    :silly:

No one was any the wiser, but I had to sit in silence while crunching through the 'extra seasoning'!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:23:37 pm »
Just an excuse for @Wingnut to talk about rubbing his meat  :thud:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »
Good one!  Thanks for sharing @Wingnut!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
Some very funny stories.

I’ve not had any turkey disasters (yet) but I do recall, not long after I got married when I made a chicken casserole.  As I was taking it out of the oven, the baking dish slipped out of my hands and it went everywhere including on the open oven door and inside the still hot oven. What a mess to clean up.

From that day forward whenever I made any type of baked casserole, my husband would ask if it was going to be à la king or à la oven door.   22222frying pan   :silly:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 01:39:03 pm »
That is hilarious @Wingnut.

My story is about my Grandfather and his stepdaughter (second marriage).  My grandfather thought his stepdaughter was not too bright and he chose Thanksgiving to prove his point.  She was to prepare a turkey for the first time and he was oh so helpful with tips.  He told her to be sure and baste the turkey once every hour to prevent shrinkage.  He went on and on about it so that she was very nervous.  Well...she was cooking the turkey for hours at a low heat and basting it once an hour.  Then she fell asleep (as he knew she would).  When she woke up he said, "How is the turkey coming along?"  She ran into the kitchen, opened the oven to find a tiny cornish game hen my grandfather switched out for the turkey.  She TOTALLY PANICKED thinking she had shrunk the turkey.

Also a true story.

Another true story that has to do with cooking (swear to God it's true)!  Years ago, I worked for a large general contractor and us 'girls' were gathered around on a Monday morning to share our stories about the past weekend.  The 'Executive Secretary' who was newly divorced and dating shared her story about her date night ... long story short ... she made a lasagna for her date and commented how embarrassed she was because she didn't realize she had to cook the lasagne noodles before putting them in the casserole!  Duh... and then it dawned on me how she got the executive secretary 'position'!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »

Pot luck Thanksgiving today at 13:00. Expecting 20 to 30 people, maybe more. It should be a blast.

Wishing everyone my best to you and all your family on this beautiful and fun day.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »

My story is about my Grandfather and his stepdaughter (second marriage).  My grandfather thought his stepdaughter was not too bright and he chose Thanksgiving to prove his point.  She was to prepare a turkey for the first time and he was oh so helpful with tips.  He told her to be sure and baste the turkey once every hour to prevent shrinkage.  He went on and on about it so that she was very nervous.  Well...she was cooking the turkey for hours at a low heat and basting it once an hour.  Then she fell asleep (as he knew she would).  When she woke up he said, "How is the turkey coming along?"  She ran into the kitchen, opened the oven to find a tiny cornish game hen my grandfather switched out for the turkey.  She TOTALLY PANICKED thinking she had shrunk the turkey.

Also a true story.

That's funny!   LOL

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:05 pm »
Just an excuse for @Wingnut to talk about rubbing his meat  :thud:

That's just a fowl comment to make @goodwithagun !!

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 01:55:31 pm »

Also a true story.

Posted this on another thread, but since it fits your story so perfectly, I'll post it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zNkK3AJQtUw
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »
Next Thanksgiving remember to kill the bird BEFORE applying rub.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »
I was just up early at 5AM this morning to put my special rub on our bird.

Really dude? You open with that? This is a family forum. Highly inappropriate to be discussing personal matters like that.

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 06:03:27 pm »
I was just up early at 5AM this morning to put my special rub on our bird.

Really dude? You open with that? This is a family forum. Highly inappropriate to be discussing personal matters like that.

My wife wasn't happy either.    8888crybaby

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 08:46:08 pm »
Well, we've almost made it through another year in this forum.  I am very thankful for the defeat of Hillary Clinton and feel a glimmer of hope this Thanksgiving.

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL THIS THANKSGIVING.  HAVE A VERY HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!   

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 09:47:12 pm »
I'm so full of Turkey and stuffing with everything you can think of on the side. Followed by pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and mince pie, and coffee.

I am officially declaring here and now that I will never eat anything ever again for the rest of my life.

I need a wee little nap now. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 10:17:09 pm »
Well I'm going to Livonia.

That's all I got.

Best served with dingelberry sauce.

For some reason this pic made me laugh until I cried.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:17:34 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »
Another true story that has to do with cooking (swear to God it's true)!  Years ago, I worked for a large general contractor and us 'girls' were gathered around on a Monday morning to share our stories about the past weekend.  The 'Executive Secretary' who was newly divorced and dating shared her story about her date night ... long story short ... she made a lasagna for her date and commented how embarrassed she was because she didn't realize she had to cook the lasagne noodles before putting them in the casserole!  Duh... and then it dawned on me how she got the executive secretary 'position'!

I was raised a vegetarian.  Newly wed, in laws coming, I made my first turkey.  After it was carved my MIL explained about the little bag of innards stuck in the turkey. I had no clue there was a paper bag with more parts concealed in that bird.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

geronl

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 05:17:54 am »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:07 pm »

I woke up this morning feeling Great. I guess all that good food I ate yesterday got into my system and sort of super-charged me. I'll need it for the shopping I have to do today. It does feel like a holiday weekend.

I didn't feel it before, but after yesterday I feel the holiday season is here.

Hope you are all well and happy as I am. Good luck and good fortune to all with your shopping or with whatever you decide to do with this wonderful day.

Too early?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3TYh56ryQ&list=PL28DAFE84A0CDCD8F