Author Topic: What is an emolument and why do we care?  (Read 915 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What is an emolument and why do we care?
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:27:43 am »
President-elect Donald J. Trump might have some unique decisions to make about how his business assets are managed as he serves in the White House, thanks to an obscure constitutional clause.

Article I, Section 9, of the Constitution contains what is known as the Foreign Emoluments Clause, which reads, “no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

An emolument is defined by Merriam-Webster as “the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites.” On Tuesday, the New York Times’ Adam Liptak wrote about a possible debate about how the clause needs to be evaluated as it applies to Trump’s business holdings....

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2016/11/what-is-an-emolument-and-why-do-we-care/

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: What is an emolument and why do we care?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:54:23 am »
Trump should recognize his conflict of interest, step aside and let Pence be POTUS.  :pondering:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:57:01 am »
Trump should recognize his conflict of interest, step aside and let Pence be POTUS.  :pondering:
I see two chances of that happening: a slim one and a fat one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:25 am »

Oh God. I would hope this would happen.