Author Topic: Calexit: Leftists File Papers for California to Secede, Form New Confederacy  (Read 1355 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BREITBART

URL: http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/11/22/calexit-leftists-file-papers-2018-referendum/

by Joel B. Pollak

A group of left-wing Californians, frustrated with the recent election of Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States, has filed an application to put a secession referendum — “Calexit” — on the 2018 ballot.

The East Bay Times reports that the group, called Yes California, intends to circumvent the U.S. Congress:

A “yes” vote would trigger a special election the following March in which residents would decide if “California should become a free, sovereign and independent country.”

Another “yes” vote would require the governor of the newly minted “Republic of California” to apply to the United Nations for membership.

California has been moving in the opposite direction, politically, from the rest of the country for several years.

As former Assemblyman Tim Donnelly noted earlier this week at Breitbart News, looking back on the recent election: “While blue states like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan turned red for Trump, California turned a deeper shade of blue.”

While some expect California’s left-wing policies to radiate outward to the rest of the country — especially if there is an “amnesty” for illegal immigrants — others have given up hope, given Trump’s victory, and simply wish to secede, taking the nation’s most populous state and the world’s sixth-largest economy out of the Union.

Gov. Jerry Brown has even joked about the idea. In March, he told a union gathering: “If Trump were ever elected, we’d have to build a wall around California to defend ourselves from the rest of this country.”

Proponents of secession will need 585, 407 valid signatures for their referendum to qualify for the 2018 ballot. An effort to split the state into six separate states failed to qualify in 2016 for lack of signatures.

Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor-at-Large at Breitbart News.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:01:37 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:05:43 pm by MOD3 »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

California is a net contributor to the federal treasury.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

And also a net contributor to the destruction wrought on this country by liberals.  On balance, the rest of the country would be better off without California; certainly the national economy would do better, thereby fully offsetting California's current net contribution.   So, I say to California:  bugger off!

Offline SirLinksALot

What is the state's net receipt from the Federal treasury given that 34% Of the nation’s welfare recipients live in California but only … 12% … of the U.S. population resides here.

SOURCE: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sdut-welfare-capital-of-the-us-2012jul28-htmlstory.html

Offline rodamala

Oceander

How much of Northern California would go along with the South?

Offline SirLinksALot

MORE DATA FROM CALIFORNIA:

SOURCE: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sdut-welfare-capital-of-the-us-2012jul28-htmlstory.html

California is third among all states in per-capita spending on welfare:
$179

New York leads the nation:
$256

Idaho is at the bottom:
$17

There’s more to support the notion that this is the welfare state. California:

• Pays out one of the highest maximum monthly cash grants to the average family on welfare, $638.

• Continues aid for children even when the parents lose eligibility.

• Provides benefits even to some who find a job and helps with child care and transportation while attending school or training.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION STATISTICS IN CALIFORNIA:

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/illegal-immigration-California/2015/09/14/id/691462/

California has the largest number of illegal immigrants in the United States, with an estimated 2.4 million unauthorized immigrants making up about 6.3 percent of the state’s total population, according to the Pew Research Center.

While the number of illegal immigrants in California continues to rise, the increase in other areas of the country is happening at a much faster rate. The nationwide average increase in illegal immigrant populations was about 250 percent from 1990 to 2007, the Pew study said. In California, the rise was 88 percent.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I... don't really have any objection to this. In fact, I think it would be great if Texas would follow their example.  :seeya:

No "new confederacy" for Texas, though. Just a new Republic of Texas.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:41:07 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline SirLinksALot

California is probably the state that gave Hillary her 1 million plus lead in the popular vote.

Hillary won this state by nearly 3 million votes !!

It was a total wipeout for Hillary: 62% to 33%

Hillary took 6.2 million votes, Trump only 3.3 million.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean

A group of left-wing Californians, frustrated with the recent election of Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States, has filed an application to put a secession referendum — “Calexit” — on the 2018 ballot.

The East Bay Times reports that the group, called Yes California, intends to circumvent the U.S. Congress:

Umm...they don't get to circumvent Congress.  Unless Congress agrees to let them go, they cannot secede.  Having said that, I'd support Congress saying, we will allow a county-by-county vote in California, Oregon, and Washington, and any counties that vote to secede are hereby allowed to do so while those that do not will retain their various statehoods.  Actually, I'd support that for New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and Illinois too.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!