Author Topic: Report: Presidential electors planning to undermine Electoral College  (Read 1033 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Presidential electors planning to undermine Electoral College
By Harper Neidig - 11/22/16 08:04 AM EST

A number of Democratic Electoral College electors are planning to use their votes to undermine the election process in opposition to President-elect Donald Trump, Politico is reporting.

Some electors are lobbying their Republican counterparts to vote for someone other than Trump in an attempt to deny him the 270 votes required to elect him, according to the news outlet.

They are also contemplating whether to cast their votes for someone other than Hillary Clinton, like Mitt Romney or Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio).

With at least six electors already vowing to become "faithless," the defection could be the most significant since 1808, when six Democratic-Republican electors refused to vote for James Madison, choosing vice presidential candidate George Clinton instead.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/307151-report-presidential-electors-planning-to-undermine-electoral
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Report: Presidential electors planning to undermine Electoral College
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:14:34 pm »
I believe all they can do is lobby:

1) IF a state goes "red", the state sends GOP electors, not Dem ones. So they'd have to convince GOPers to vote for HIllary. Unlikely.

2) The results have to be accepted by the Senate or HoR (I forget which ones)

3) if the elections ends up in the HoR (extreme long shot), Trump gets elected anyway.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 05:25:13 pm »
I don't see how 6 democrat electors voting for someone other than Hillary Clinton is going to change 37 republican electors to not vote for Trump.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »
Tilting at windmills. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:12:54 pm »
Not that I believe anything will happen nor do I believe it is the right thing to do, but this is a quote from Alexander Hamilton who created the electoral college.

It was desirable that the sense of the people should operate in the choice of the person to whom so important a trust was to be confided. This end will be answered by committing the right of making it, not to any preestablished body, but to men chosen by the people for the special purpose, and at the particular conjuncture.

It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations.

...ie if there were a circumstance where the electors change their votes, it isn't 'undermining', it is by design.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:32:24 pm »
...ie if there were a circumstance where the electors change their votes, it isn't 'undermining', it is by design.

:thumbsup2:

"Undermining" the Electoral College is what 29 states have done.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »
She has about 1.75M votes over him in the popular count and beat him by 3.44M in CA.  About 25% of her vote total came from 3 states - CA, IL, and NY.  It's why we have the EC, silly butt-hurt Dems.  We don't want a few areas dictating policy to the nation.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:56:46 pm »
I believe all they can do is lobby:

1) IF a state goes "red", the state sends GOP electors, not Dem ones. So they'd have to convince GOPers to vote for HIllary. Unlikely.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Most of what you wrote is correct.  However, the above statement is slightly incorrect--they'd have to convince GOPers to vote for someone other than Trump--could be Cruz, could be Kasich, could be anyone.  They're just trying to push Trump's electoral count down below 270.  Doesn't matter what anyone else does.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:57:14 pm by ShadowAce »

geronl

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »
There is nothing mentioned here that actually undermines the electoral colleges

The electors always get lobbied

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »
Report: Presidential electors planning to undermine Electoral College
By Harper Neidig - 11/22/16 08:04 AM EST

A number of Democratic Electoral College electors are planning to use their votes to undermine the election process in opposition to President-elect Donald Trump, Politico is reporting.

Some electors are lobbying their Republican counterparts to vote for someone other than Trump in an attempt to deny him the 270 votes required to elect him, according to the news outlet.

They are also contemplating whether to cast their votes for someone other than Hillary Clinton, like Mitt Romney or Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio).

With at least six electors already vowing to become "faithless," the defection could be the most significant since 1808, when six Democratic-Republican electors refused to vote for James Madison, choosing vice presidential candidate George Clinton instead.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/307151-report-presidential-electors-planning-to-undermine-electoral

If they want to see an all out revolution in this country; announcing Trump is no longer our President and Hillary is our new president would do it.  I am not a Trump supporter, but I'll be damned if I am going to accept a bunch of liberal whiners trying to undermine our electoral process sitting down. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
The distinct lack of a references to President George Clinton in the history book show just how much impact they had.  :whistle:

And what is it about Clintons?!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour