Author Topic: Danger! Obama could put Merrick Garland on Supreme Court in December  (Read 554 times)

rangerrebew

November 22, 2016
Danger! Obama could put Merrick Garland on Supreme Court in December
By Ed Straker

Last week, I warned that if Congress adjourned for the year too soon, it could open a window to give President Obama a Supreme Court pick.  That's because of a provision of the Constitution that allows the president to make recess appointments that can last two or more years.  Now we get word that Congress is planning to adjourn early, which will give Obama an opportunity to appoint Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.

This discussion is fairly complex, involving both constitutional and statutory law, so bear with me.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/11/danger_danger_obama_could_put_merrick_garland_on_supreme_court_in_december.html#ixzz4QjpPx8Gm
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Danger! Obama could put Merrick Garland on Supreme Court in December
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:54:58 pm »
November 22, 2016
Danger! Obama could put Merrick Garland on Supreme Court in December
By Ed Straker

Last week, I warned that if Congress adjourned for the year too soon, it could open a window to give President Obama a Supreme Court pick.  That's because of a provision of the Constitution that allows the president to make recess appointments that can last two or more years.  Now we get word that Congress is planning to adjourn early, which will give Obama an opportunity to appoint Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.

This discussion is fairly complex, involving both constitutional and statutory law, so bear with me.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/11/danger_danger_obama_could_put_merrick_garland_on_supreme_court_in_december.html#ixzz4QjpPx8Gm
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

This is pretty well settled by a Supreme Court decision.  If the Senate leaders are stupid enough to not call the Senate into session every three days or so and do something (it's not important what) legislative, then Obama might be able to recess appoint someone to the court.  If they do so, his recess appointment is unconstitutional and will not be accepted.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:11:58 pm »
This is pretty well settled by a Supreme Court decision.  If the Senate leaders are stupid enough to not call the Senate into session every three days or so and do something (it's not important what) legislative, then Obama might be able to recess appoint someone to the court.  If they do so, his recess appointment is unconstitutional and will not be accepted.

I could see Mitch 'Obama's Bitch' McConnell calling a recess then washing his hands of it as if he didn't know what would happen.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25:37 pm »
I could see Mitch 'Obama's Bitch' McConnell calling a recess then washing his hands of it as if he didn't know what would happen.

Exactly. "We want to impose an increase in the debt ceiling, but I want all republican senators to agree to let the democrats pass it by simple majority so we can SAY we opposed it, but it passes anyway."

THAT is who we are dealing with.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!