Author Topic: Rand Paul raises concerns about Pompeo  (Read 411 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul raises concerns about Pompeo
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:13:19 pm »
Rand Paul raises concerns about Pompeo
By Rebecca Savransky - 11/20/16 02:16 PM EST

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Sunday expressed some concerns with Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), Donald Trump's pick to serve as CIA director.

The libertarian senator said on CBS's "Face the Nation" that it concerns him that Pompeo supported the Patriot Act.

"But I would say that with Pompeo, he's going to have to also answer to my liking whether or not he's still for torture, whether or not he's for waterboarding," Paul said.
"That's important."

Paul noted that Pompeo has also supported expanding the powers of the National Security Agency (NSA).

"Many of the NSA powers were done, I think, in secret without the knowledge of most members of Congress," he said.

"Even some members who are authors or co-authors of the Patriot Act said, 'We never intended for them to collect all that data in Utah. And they didn't tell us.' "

One of the questions he said he would ask Pompeo would be whether there are secret programs that even Congress doesn't know about, Paul said.

"And I think there still are programs ongoing that the bulk of Congress is not aware of," Paul said.

The president-elect last week announced that he's picked Pompeo to lead the CIA.

Pompeo is considered a serious — and hawkish — member of the Republican national security establishment.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/306954-rand-paul-raises-concerns-about-pompeo
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34