Author Topic: Trump confirms he is considering Retired General James Mattis for U.S. defense secretary post  (Read 1018 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: YAHOO NEWS

URL: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-confirms-considering-mattis-u-defense-post-141050860.html

via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President-elect Donald Trump said on Sunday he is considering retired General James Mattis for U.S. defense secretary, a day after meeting with him in New Jersey.

Trump said in Twitter that Mattis, a retired U.S. Marine Corps general who previously headed U.S. Central Command, "was very impressive yesterday. A true General's General!"

Offline SirLinksALot

FROM Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Mattis

James N. Mattis (born September 8, 1950) is a retired United States Marine Corps general who last served as the 11th commander of United States Central Command from August 11, 2010 to March 22, 2013.

Mattis is known for implementing the COIN strategy. Before President Obama appointed him to replace General Petraeus on August 11, 2010, he previously commanded United States Joint Forces Command from November 9, 2007 to August 2010 and served concurrently as NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Transformation from November 9, 2007 to September 8, 2009. Prior to that, he commanded I Marine Expeditionary Force, United States Marine Forces Central Command, and 1st Marine Division during the Iraq War.

He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1969. He later earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in history from Central Washington University and was commissioned a second lieutenant through ROTC on January 1, 1972.

During his service years, Mattis was considered something of an intellectual among the upper ranks, with his personal library numbering more than a thousand volumes. Major General Robert H. Scales, Retired, PhD, described him as "....one of the most urbane and polished men I have known." Reinforcing this intellectual persona was the fact that he carried on his person a copy of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius throughout his deployments.

As a lieutenant, Mattis served as a rifle and weapons platoon commander in the 3rd Marine Division. As a captain, he was assigned as the Naval Academy Preparatory School's Battalion Officer (composed of Enlisted Midshipman Candidates and its Company Officers and Enlisted Staff), commanded Rifle and Weapons Companies in the 1st Marine Regiment, then Recruiting Station Portland, Oregon, as a major.

Commands held   
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Joint Forces Command
Supreme Allied Commander Transformation
I Marine Expeditionary Force
U.S. Marine Forces Central Command
Marine Corps Combat Development Command
1st Marine Division
7th Marine Regiment
1st Battalion, 7th Marines

Battles/wars   
Persian Gulf War
Invasion of Afghanistan
Iraq War
 • Invasion of Iraq
 • First Battle of Fallujah
 • Second Battle of Fallujah

Offline ConstitutionRose

This guy seems like a good choice, but I don't know much about him.  I  have a friend who served under him who holds him in very high regard.  Named his new boxer puppy Mattis.  The nickname "Mad Dog" is interesting.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The current trajectory of the military is one of the major reasons I voted for Trump -- I thought 4 or 8 eight more years of social engineering might do damage that could never be undone.

The nomination of Mattis would be the absolute best sign possible that this era of SJW running the military would end.  Mattis would be not just a home run, but a grand slam, bottom of the ninth, 7th game of the World Series-type home run.

Don't know that he'll get it, but the mere fact that Trump seems to like him so much is extraordinarily encouraging.  And I say that as someone who has friends of senior rank in the Marine Corps.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This guy seems like a good choice, but I don't know much about him.  I  have a friend who served under him who holds him in very high regard.  Named his new boxer puppy Mattis.  The nickname "Mad Dog" is interesting.

He's a good officer. Solid choice.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
He's a good officer. Solid choice.

Absolutely!  Will he take the job?  I doubt it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline montanajoe

An excellent choice if the rumor is true.....