Author Topic: Obama makes case for democracy, urges patience with Trump  (Read 520 times)

rangerrebew

Obama makes case for democracy, urges patience with Trump
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:18:50 pm »
Obama makes case for democracy, urges patience with Trump
Listen | Print
By AFP     15 hours ago in World

With Donald Trump's election sparking questions about the respect for democratic norms at home, US President Barack Obama made a strident case for democracy Saturday and urged world leaders to give his successor a chance.

Speaking to young Latin Americans in Lima, Peru, Obama argued that democracy and development go hand-in-hand, and that authoritarian governments ultimately fail.

With China and Russia seen as major global beneficiaries of Trump's election victory, Obama acknowledged that questions were being raised about the post-Cold War primacy of democracy.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/obama-makes-case-for-democracy-urges-patience-with-trump/article/479978#ixzz4QYS7jDwu

rangerrebew

Re: Obama makes case for democracy, urges patience with Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:20:46 pm »
The problem is this country is not, and was never intended to be, a DEMOCRACY.  It is a REPUBLIC, not a democracy but most politicians don't seem to understand the difference. :thud:

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:57:56 pm »
The problem is this country is not, and was never intended to be, a DEMOCRACY.  It is a REPUBLIC, not a democracy but most politicians don't seem to understand the difference. :thud:
I have spent more time yelling at my TV this past week than I have in months.  Every time I hear an elected official refer to us as a democracy I just want to scream.  That aside, I give Obama five minutes out of office before he pokes his head up and starts trying to interfere.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:58:47 pm by Puss-N-Boots »
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:02 pm »
He and Jimmaaaah Caaaaaatah can double team Trump.   :2barf: