Author Topic: The Fall of House Clinton  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Fall of House Clinton
« on: November 19, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »
This is such a delightful read.  I think even the Trumpers can forgive Jonah after reading this one.

Enjoy: 
by Jonah Goldberg November 19, 2016 4:00 AM @JonahNRO This time, I think the Clintons might really be finished.

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is Jonah Goldberg’s weekly “news”letter, the G-File. Subscribe here to get the G-File delivered to your inbox on Fridays.

Dear Reader (and all ships at sea), Last night was the traditional National Review smoker on our splendid post-election cruise. This is an ancient tradition, the origins of which stretch back into the mists before time and the stories of a young solo sailor by the name of William F. Buckley Jr. — sweat, sea water, and shark blood glistening off his chest — who settled in to enjoy a relaxing cigar after killing the great white beast with his bare hands.

I bring this up for two reasons. First, to alert the reader that I am feeling a bit hungover from both smoke and spirit alike (so please, stop reading so loudly!); second, because I think I must say goodbye to another great white beast: Bill Clinton — and his remora bride, Hillary.

...The bad taste of the Clintons lingers on enough, though — like the acidic after-burp from my lunch in Mexico yesterday — that it still seems a bit relevant. I feel a little like a hungry Sid Blumenthal looking down at a box full of live, white mice: Where to begin?

Well schadenfreude is always a good way to get your day going. The stories about Hillary measuring the drapes are all over Washington. They literally popped champagne on the campaign plane on Election Day.

I like to imagine Bill Clinton going through binders full of women — and not the Romney kind — picking out the “deputies” he’d like to work with in the White House and Sid Blumenthal letting his fingers wander over an assortment of fine Italian leather riding crops pondering his return to power.

...You see, the retromingent trail of House Clinton stretches so far back and coats so much of our lives, even pondering the question gives me a queasy feeling, like contemplating using one of those black lights to find the carpet and cushion stains on Jeffrey Epstein’s plane. As I looked over the document, reading all those names associated with all those scandals, legal, moral, and ethical — Webb Hubbel, Charlie Trie, Lanny Davis, Sid Blumenthal, et al. — I tried to get myself psyched up to wade back into it. I felt a bit like Bill Murray in Meatballs trying to get Fink excited about the eating contest to come: “Look at all those steaming weenies.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/442319/bill-clinton-hillary-clinton-house-clinton-finished

Offline endicom

Re: The Fall of House Clinton
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
Allusions and metaphors.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:28:24 pm »
Allusions and metaphors.

Yes,  but what did you think of the article?

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:22:42 am »
Yes,  but what did you think of the article?

Not much. It didn't say much. Looked like he needed to write something and did.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:05:04 am »
I think a lot of the big time Trump people on this forum will have to get used to the fact that many Republicans or NeverTrump writers like Goldberg were far happier seeing the Clintons gone than having their, the Trumpists, hero elected. If they're expecting the NeverTrumpers and the Hold Your Nose And Vote For Trump People (like me)  to bow at the throne of His Orangeness, they're sadly mistaken.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:06:21 am by goatprairie »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:24:48 am »
Not much. It didn't say much. Looked like he needed to write something and did.

Well, @endicom, it looks like it was lost on you.  But, I appreciate that you took the time to read it.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 07:27:41 am »
As if in the superhuman energy of his utterance there had been found the potency of a spell - the huge antique pannels to which the speaker pointed, threw slowly back, upon the instant, their ponderous and ebony jaws.  It was the work of the rushing gust - but then without those doors there did stand the lofty and enshrouded figure of the lady Madeline of Usher.  There was blood upon her white robes, and the evidence of some bitter struggle upon every portion of her emaciated frame.  For a moment she remained trembling and reeling to and fro upon the threshold - then, with a low moaning cry, fell heavily inward upon the person of her brother, and in her violent and now final death-agonies, bore him to the floor a corpse, and a victim to the terrors he had anticipated.

From that chamber, and from that mansion, I fled aghast.  The storm was still abroad in all its wrath as I found myself crossing the old causeway.  Suddenly there shot along the path a wild light, and I turned to see whence a gleam so unusual could have issued ; for the vast house and its shadows were alone behind me.  The radiance was that of the full, setting, and blood-red moon, which now shone vividly through that once barely-discernible fissure, of which I have before spoken as extending from the roof of the building, in a zigzag direction, to the base.  While I gazed, this fissure rapidly widened - there came a fierce breath of the whirlwind - the entire orb of the satellite burst at once upon my sight - my brain reeled as I saw the mighty walls rushing asunder - there was a long tumultuous shouting sound like the voice of a thousand waters - and the deep and dank tarn at my feet closed sullenly and silently over the fragments of the "House of Usher ."
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 07:52:06 am »
Dude writes like he swallowed a thesaurus in a drunken bet and is desperately trying to vomit it up again.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 08:18:35 am »

Dude writes like he swallowed a thesaurus in a drunken bet and is desperately trying to vomit it up again.  :shrug:

Me too. I had a similar thought. I tried to google that 'ramora bride' reference, thinking it had some kind of literary connotation. I didn't find anything on it, so I still don't know what he was trying to say.

psephological < a study of statistics and trends as related to elections
haruspex < a reader of signs, portends, and omens

psephological haruspex is a weird way of saying a pundit who follows election polls and trends.

I was not impressed by the article. Thought is was just so much navel gazing and fluff.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 08:27:58 am »
That is the one thing I can help you with! Remora's are parasitic fish that attach themselves to larger fish (not always sharks) and let the big guy do the heavy lifting in terms of getting from place to place and finding food. They provide no actual benefit to the shark, hence they are parasites, rather than commensal organisms. It's an abstruse but by no means inaccurate description of Hillary.  :tongue2:

I love words, exotic ones especially, but chucking a bunch of them at the page in a desperate attempt to look intelligent while saying nothing new is really getting old.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:44:17 am »

I am also fond of etymology and pride myself on how many words I know, especially in English. My love of languages helped in my foreign studies quite a bit, because I was not studying to pass the test. I was studying because I was genuinely interested. That makes all the difference.

That Remora thing confused me. I assumed it was a reference to some Greek God or perhaps something in another ancient play. It never occurred to me to look under the topic of fish. lol

Thank you for that. Of course now, thanks to you, I will remember what a remora fish is forever.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 10:26:47 pm »

Me too. I had a similar thought. I tried to google that 'ramora bride' reference, thinking it had some kind of literary connotation. I didn't find anything on it, so I still don't know what he was trying to say.

psephological < a study of statistics and trends as related to elections
haruspex < a reader of signs, portends, and omens

psephological haruspex is a weird way of saying a pundit who follows election polls and trends.

I was not impressed by the article. Thought is was just so much navel gazing and fluff.

The remora bride refers to the parasitical eel that attaches itself to larger denizens of the deep, in this case: "the great white beast", Bill Clinton.  I thought it was a great description of their relationship.

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:38 am »
@Sanguine

I thought this was one of Jonah's best.  He was somewhat tanked when he wrote it, and it comes through, but I like it.  I've come to really appreciate his work.

Also, he sent me to the dictionary, and it's always fun to learn new words...although I don't expect I'll be using "retromingent" very often.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:24:48 am »

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :da man: :da man: :da man:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:27:59 am »
@Sanguine

I thought this was one of Jonah's best.  He was somewhat tanked when he wrote it, and it comes through, but I like it.  I've come to really appreciate his work.

Also, he sent me to the dictionary, and it's always fun to learn new words...although I don't expect I'll be using "retromingent" very often.

LOL.   No, I don't think I'll be using it either, but it was a beautiful piece of work.  And, I like being challenged on occasion.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 02:50:37 pm »
I had a friend who called big words "SAT words"

I enjoyed the article , I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the author.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »
I believe it really is the fall of the House of Clinton. Even the resurgence of the "popular" Bill Clinton was akin to having sex with a woman that you know was syphilitic. Trying to prop up Chelsea is going to be difficult after the emails. They never go away.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »
I am also fond of etymology and pride myself on how many words I know, especially in English.

I like words too! I know a lot of words! Big words! The BEST words! Trust me!
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 05:19:17 pm »

LOL! The funniest part of your post is that it is true. He did say that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIE_MRAhEA

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 05:42:59 pm »

@CatherineofAragon
LOL, this one had me consulting the dictionary as well. At least these days it's just a click or two in the browser to lookup the word. And "retromingent", although not exactly a fit for the context he used it in, is a very clever way to describe the trail of filth the Clintons leave behind. I wonder how he knew that word.

I liked the 'remora bride' term, once I figured out what it was. The use of 'psephological haruspex' was accurate and cute, but it is a show-off term which is overly esoteric and abstruse. And 'retromingent' was, in my opinion, just silly and irrelevant.

As has been pointed out already, the guy was obviously trying too hard. Any of us can write a paragraph or two, and then use a thesaurus to jazz it up to the point of incomprehensibility. That is not the point of communication. The point of communication is to convey ideas. The only way to do this is if people understand what you are saying. Writing something simply to show how many words you know, instead of getting the idea across, is a futile exercise in vanity. It accomplishes nothing of value to the reader.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »
Dunno, I find it of value. Someone who does that more than once - substituting an extensive and esoteric vocabulary for actual points - gets ignored.

HonestJohn

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 04:53:34 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac