Author Topic: Steve Bannon -- Hollywood Reporter Interview  (Read 1837 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Steve Bannon -- Hollywood Reporter Interview
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:36 pm »
This thing is absolutely worth a read.  It's pretty clear Bannon is a "movement" guy, thought it's not really the racist movement his detractors claim, nor something that a lot of conservatives will support.  It's pretty fascinating in a mad scientist sort of way.  Here's sort of the core of it:

Like [Andrew] Jackson's populism, we're going to build an entirely new political movement," he says. "It's everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I'm the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it's the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We're just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement."

My prediction is that a lot of what he wants won't happen, and he'll crash and burn in a couple of years and be replaced.  But damn, the guy does think big.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-bannon-trump-tower-interview-trumps-strategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:01:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: Steve Bannon -- Hollywood Reporter Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 12:41:58 am »
This thing is absolutely worth a read.  It's pretty clear Bannon is a "movement" guy, thought it's not really the racist movement his detractors claim, nor something that a lot of conservatives will support.  It's pretty fascinating in a mad scientist sort of way.  Here's sort of the core of it:

Like [Andrew] Jackson's populism, we're going to build an entirely new political movement," he says. "It's everything related to jobs. The conservatives are going to go crazy. I'm the guy pushing a trillion-dollar infrastructure plan. With negative interest rates throughout the world, it's the greatest opportunity to rebuild everything. Ship yards, iron works, get them all jacked up. We're just going to throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. It will be as exciting as the 1930s, greater than the Reagan revolution — conservatives, plus populists, in an economic nationalist movement."

My prediction is that a lot of what he wants won't happen, and he'll crash and burn in a couple of years and be replaced.  But damn, the guy does think big.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-bannon-trump-tower-interview-trumps-strategist-plots-new-political-movement-948747

A Trillion dollar plan of government spending?   How is that conservative?   That's typical Keynesian stuff. 

I mean sure,  it's better than that utter crap Obama wasted 5 trillion dollars on,  but philosophically it's contrary to conservatism. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 05:06:46 am »

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 07:30:53 am »
That's what the Japanese tried - and failed at spectacularly. Their debt is running 200%+ of GDP as a result and growth is zip.

Very stupid. It also puts you in a place where there's no exits short of bankruptcy. It is deadly.

An "investment" is only an investment when it produces more than you put into it. Replacing functional infrastructure that is already there does not produce significant returns long term.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:18:06 am »
This has to be a joke, right?  FDR 2?  :/

He's right.  This Conservative does not like it.  Not a bit.

He's terrible. NPR was attacking what this guy was saying FROM THE RIGHT. Think about that. They said it was what China had done and failed spectacularly at.

This is my last bugaboo with Trump. Eject this child molester looking creep from Trump's inner circle ASAP.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:05:22 pm »

I find that quote disturbing.. The 1930's wasn't all that good..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »
This interview should scare anyone with conservative principles.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 08:04:30 pm »

A Trillion dollar plan of government spending?   How is that conservative?   That's typical Keynesian stuff. 

I mean sure,  it's better than that utter crap Obama wasted 5 trillion dollars on,  but philosophically it's contrary to conservatism.

@DiogenesLamp

I absolutely agree with you.  That aspect of their agenda is not conservative, but I thought it was pretty incredible for him to be as blunt about their strategy and plans as he was in that interview.  Kind of surprised it isn't getting more attention, because if anyone wants to know what the Dread Steve Bannon actually believes, I think that interview is as open and honest as we're going to get.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:04:56 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »

He's terrible. NPR was attacking what this guy was saying FROM THE RIGHT. Think about that. They said it was what China had done and failed spectacularly at.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Absolutely.  All the attacks of him being a closet racist/anti-Semite are crap -- this is really the truth of what the guy is.  My only hope is that for all his grandiose visions, Congress -- especially the House under Ryan -- will never go for all that.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:05:54 am »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Absolutely.  All the attacks of him being a closet racist/anti-Semite are crap -- this is really the truth of what the guy is.  My only hope is that for all his grandiose visions, Congress -- especially the House under Ryan -- will never go for all that.

Trump needs to keep this freak at arm's length.