Author Topic: Breaking:Trump offers Jeff Sessions Attorney General post  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Breaking:Trump offers Jeff Sessions Attorney General post
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 12:23:06 pm »
I guess the rumors about Ted Cruz for AG were incorrect.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »

They're just throwing names out there.

Personally I'm not impressed with Sessions. He's been in DC for too long himself.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:02 pm »
This was a patronage hire.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:10:14 pm »
This was a patronage hire.

Exactly.  Sessions has never argued a case before the SCOTUS so I am concerned with this pick and I think Gowdy would have been much more effective in this position.  I am glad the Cruz is staying put in the Senate though; we're going to need him there.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »

Perhaps or Cruz turned it down.  He wants to stay in the Senate.  When asked if he was considered for the AG position, Cruz stated he wanted to be in a position where he could serve the people the best.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:19 pm »
Exactly.  Sessions has never argued a case before the SCOTUS so I am concerned with this pick and I think Gowdy would have been much more effective in this position.  I am glad the Cruz is staying put in the Senate though; we're going to need him there.

What would happen with Cruz is that senators would promise their support for confirmation and then they would vote against him.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »
The AG doesn't argue cases before SCOTUS - that's the job of the Solicitor General.  For the AG, it is incredibly important that he be familiar with the organization and workings of the DOJ so as to quickly clean house. 

Sessions has been on the Judiciary committee, and his conservative bona fides there have been unassailable.  I can't think of a single issue that will be within the scope of DOJ on which he has been on the wrong side.  Civil rights, immigration...everything.

Moreover, he's been a state AG, so we know he has the organizational skills to run an entire department.  And he himself has been a U.S. Attorney, who are the DOJ's front line troops.

If there are others who would have been a better choice, that's a very short list.  Neither Cruz nor Gowdy was either a U.S Attorney or state AG.  I think either would have been great choices as well, but it's hard to find fault with the pick of Sessions.

In any case, remember the core metric - how does Sessions compare to who Hillary would have appointed?  For those of us worried that Trump might not be better than Hillary, this is an absolute home run pick.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:34:41 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 01:39:36 pm »
Perhaps or Cruz turned it down.  He wants to stay in the Senate.  When asked if he was considered for the AG position, Cruz stated he wanted to be in a position where he could serve the people the best.

@libertybele

No, The Hill reported that Cruz told friends he was interested in the AG post.  I knew then Trump would give it to Sessions.

It's too bad.  We could have had a bulldog.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 01:58:52 pm »
Let's hope as AG he is a better judge of character on those he hires than he was back here.

But other Republicans said they would vote for Mr. Holder despite his acknowledged mistakes. Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, for example, said he was sure that Mr. Holder would be “a responsible legal officer and not a politician.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/politics/03holder.html?_r=0
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 02:01:38 pm »
Let's hope as AG he is a better judge of character on those he hires than he was back here.

But other Republicans said they would vote for Mr. Holder despite his acknowledged mistakes. Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, for example, said he was sure that Mr. Holder would be “a responsible legal officer and not a politician.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/politics/03holder.html?_r=0

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »
Gee, too bad Hillary didn't win so we could have 4 more years of Loretta Lynch....

Some people apparently can't help but let the perfect be the enemy of the good....

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 02:17:55 pm »
Gee, too bad Hillary didn't win so we could have 4 more years of Loretta Lynch....

Some people apparently can't help but let the perfect be the enemy of the good....

@Maj. Bill Martin

If that's the standard you're going to use to try and dismiss any criticism of Trump's decisions for the next four years, you're going to have to up your game. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 02:32:46 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

If that's the standard you're going to use to try and dismiss any criticism of Trump's decisions for the next four years, you're going to have to up your game.

I'll be blunt.

What I'm noticing is that some of the folks who were NeverTrump - who argued that he was just another liberal and would be no different from Hillary Clinton - are now being very critical of actions they previously who have claimed were far too conservative for Trump.  It is a very obvious moving of goalposts.

I'm not saying that just being better than Hillary is the only standard we should apply for the next four years.  However, in terms of just coming out of the gate and putting together an Administration, these initial nominations/appointments are ones that should be providing at least some degree of reassurance to those who thought we were just getting Hillary 2.0.  To this point, they are all solid conservative choices even if not someone's ideal choice.

Instead, it's just pure negativity.  Jeff Sessions is one of the most conservative members of the Senate, and a decidely more conservative guy than early favorite Chris Christie.

ETA:. At some point, he may well select a head-scratcher, and there's nothing wrong with blasting him when/if he does.  But how about waiting for that to actually happen first?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:52:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »
The AG doesn't argue cases before SCOTUS - that's the job of the Solicitor General.  For the AG, it is incredibly important that he be familiar with the organization and workings of the DOJ so as to quickly clean house. 

Sessions has been on the Judiciary committee, and his conservative bona fides there have been unassailable.  I can't think of a single issue that will be within the scope of DOJ on which he has been on the wrong side.  Civil rights, immigration...everything.

Moreover, he's been a state AG, so we know he has the organizational skills to run an entire department.  And he himself has been a U.S. Attorney, who are the DOJ's front line troops.

If there are others who would have been a better choice, that's a very short list.  Neither Cruz nor Gowdy was either a U.S Attorney or state AG.  I think either would have been great choices as well, but it's hard to find fault with the pick of Sessions.

In any case, remember the core metric - how does Sessions compare to who Hillary would have appointed?  For those of us worried that Trump might not be better than Hillary, this is an absolute home run pick.

I agree with you entirely!   Jeff Sessions is EXACTLY the right person to clean out the whore's nest at Justice and return the Rule of Law to the United States of America!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 02:46:37 pm »

Could have been way worse.  Rudy Guliani who is pro abort and gun control.  Sessions does have a good Conservative voting score card.  I wanted Cruz but I will settle for Sessions. 

He was a loyal Trump supporter through the entire election so its easy to see how he was chosen over Cruz.  Trump likes loyalty.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 02:50:45 pm »
I'll be blunt.

What I'm noticing is that some of the folks who were NeverTrump - who argued that he was just another liberal and would be no different from Hillary Clinton - are now being very critical of actions they previously claimed were far too conservative for Trump.  It is a very obvious moving of goalposts.

I'm not saying that just being better than Hillary is the only standard we should apply for the next four years. 
However, in terms of just coming out of the gate and putting together an Administration, these initial nominations/appointments are ones that should be providing at least some degree of reassurance to those who thought we were just getting Hillary 2.0.  To this point, they are all solid conservative choices even if not someone's ideal choice.

Instead, it's just pure negativity.

Nice rant...and right on the money too.

-btw Sessions will be just fine as Attorney General, a much better choice than Ted Cruz.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »
Sessions will be an obedient toady.

Offline chae

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 02:54:42 pm »
Sessions came out and endorsed Trump in the primary, at the time I joked that at least I knew the going price for Jeff Sessions soul was a political appointment  I guess I was right, although at the time I assumed it would be the V.P. slot.

That said, I don't really have too much of a problem with this...provided he doesn't "grow" in the office.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 02:55:45 pm »
Could have been way worse.  Rudy Guliani who is pro abort and gun control.  Sessions does have a good Conservative voting score card.  I wanted Cruz but I will settle for Sessions. 

He was a loyal Trump supporter through the entire election so its easy to see how he was chosen over Cruz.  Trump likes loyalty.

All true, although the Pompeo selection is a pleasant surprise.  He was Rubio supporter, and though he supported Trump in the end, was never enthusiastic about it.  So that's a hopeful sign.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:56:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline endicom

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 02:56:48 pm »
I'll be blunt.

What I'm noticing is that some of the folks who were NeverTrump - who argued that he was just another liberal and would be no different from Hillary Clinton - are now being very critical of actions they previously who have claimed were far too conservative for Trump.  It is a very obvious moving of goalposts.

I'm not saying that just being better than Hillary is the only standard we should apply for the next four years.  However, in terms of just coming out of the gate and putting together an Administration, these initial nominations/appointments are ones that should be providing at least some degree of reassurance to those who thought we were just getting Hillary 2.0.  To this point, they are all solid conservative choices even if not someone's ideal choice.

Instead, it's just pure negativity.  Jeff Sessions is one of the most conservative members of the Senate, and a decidely more conservative guy than early favorite Chris Christie.

ETA:. At some point, he may well select a head-scratcher, and there's nothing wrong with blasting him when/if he does.  But how about waiting for that to actually happen first?

Yup.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:15 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

:thumbsup3:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:25 pm »

Agreed, there was no way in Hades that Cruz would be the AG, he'd be too independent. Don't think Mitt Romney will be a member of the Cabinet, due to the absence of loyalty and comity between him and Trump.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »
This is a good place for a guy like Sessions - it's a lot for a younger guy like Gowdy or Cruz to give up a seat in Congress at such a young age for an appointed position that may only last 4 years.  And when their seat is filled in the interim, it may not be easy to get back.  For an older guy like Sessions, it's a great way to end his career.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »

Personally, I'm glad.  Ted Cruz dodged a bullet .
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:06:04 pm by Applewood »