Author Topic: Newt Gingrich confirms he won’t be in Donald Trump’s Cabinet  (Read 660 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: McClatchy DC

URL: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article115388678.html

by Kevin Hall

WASHINGTON -- Mentioned as a possible pick to head the departments of State or Defense, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich won’t serve in the Trump administration, he confirmed to McClatchy on Thursday.

“I will not be in the Cabinet,” Gingrich said, adding that “I intend to be focused on strategic planning.”

Gingrich did not say whether the decision was his or whether his long ties to official Washington effectively disqualified him from joining President-elect Donald Trump’s administration.

Since leaving Congress in 1998, the Georgia Republican established a range of for-profit businesses that intersected with policy and politics in Washington. These included taking consulting fees from mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and speaking fees and support from the pharmaceutical industry.

Like Bill and Hillary Clinton, with whom he battled in the 1990s, Gingrich parlayed his political fortunes into a real fortune.

Gingrich entered Congress in 1979 as a small-town assistant professor at West Georgia College. During his 2012 run for the presidency, the 2010 tax returns he made public claimed business income of about $2.5 million. His total income that year was almost $3.2 million.

In a year where “drain the swamp” was a rallying cry, Gingrich’s business dealings would surely have made him a target for Democrats if he were nominated for a position requiring confirmation.

“He’s an opportunist. And we can see that through his entire political career … he echoes all sides of all major issues,” said Craig Holman, a veteran government affairs lobbyist for Public Citizen, a left-leaning watchdog for greater transparency in government. “He will fit in that swamp, whatever that swamp becomes.”

A historian with a doctoral degree from Tulane University, Gingrich continues to write books and said he will be working on expanding the GOP victories nationwide ahead of the coming 2018 mid-term elections.

Serving as a private citizen, Gingrich vowed to engage the executive and legislative branches and the Republican Party, “which is exactly what I did under the Bush administration.”

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Newt Gingrich confirms he won’t be in Donald Trump’s Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:18 pm »
The current Mrs. Gingrich, the one with the crazy eyes, said "hell no, we ain't taking no pay cut!"

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:24:51 pm »
This is good news.  May Newton "Minnow" Gringrich fade away and never be heard from again.....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:33:14 pm »
I think he would be good as RNC Chair.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:40:28 pm »
I think he would be good as RNC Chair.

I'd suggest he walk more.  His fat ass spends to much time in a chair.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:43:05 pm »
This is good news.  May Newton "Minnow" Gringrich fade away and never be heard from again.....

:silly:

C'mon man, these guys never go away.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »

:silly:

C'mon man, these guys never go away.
I know.  He's like Karl "White Board" Rove....or a maybe Hemorrhoid...  Always a pain in the ass.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:55:44 pm »
Calista didn't approve..........

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
I'd suggest he walk more.  His fat ass spends to much time in a chair.

Yeah, he'd better get that weight thing under control or helmet-head's gonna drop him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: