Author Topic: Megyn Kelly Scolds Trump Supporter: You Cant Be Citing Japanese Internment Camps as Precedent!..  (Read 1092 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach told Reuters in an interview yesterday that Donald Trump‘s policy advisors are considering implementing a registry for anyone that comes into the United States from Muslim nations as part of Trump’s “extreme vetting.”

Former Navy SEAL and Trump supporter Carl Higbie spoke with Megyn Kelly about this tonight and said there is certainly precedent for action like this to be taken.

Kelly brought up the criticism that this is a slippery slope and that a system like this could end up being abused.

Higbie made it clear he thinks the vast majority of Muslims are not bad people, but because there are some who align with an “extreme ideology,” it would be wise to “keep tabs” on people coming into the country from certain places.

“We’ve done it with Iran back a while ago,” he said, “we did it during World War II with the Japanese.”..

Read more at: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/megyn-kelly-scolds-trump-supporter-you-cant-be-citing-japanese-internment-camps-as-precedent/
The Republic is lost.

Offline endicom

Alien detention camps were for aliens of hostile nations in both world wars.

Relocation camps were for US citizens of Japanese descent in WWII.

Keeping a register of people coming into the country has nothing to do with camps.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Alien detention camps were for aliens of hostile nations in both world wars.

Relocation camps were for US citizens of Japanese descent in WWII.

Keeping a register of people coming into the country has nothing to do with camps.

@endicom

Kelly's issue was that once you 'register' them, the next logical step would be to round them up and put them in camps.  THAT'S what they're afraid of to begin with.

....and this guy cites 'interment camps' as precedent.

It's the same reasoning we fear a nationwide registry of  firearms.  Our attitude there is a big "eff you'!  He shouldn't have used that as part of his 'defense' argument, IMO.

BTW....his beard was asymetrical.  Looked ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:31:04 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline endicom

@endicom

Kelly's issue was that once you 'register' them, the next logical step would be to round them up and put them in camps.  THAT'S what they're afraid of to begin with.

....and this guy cites 'interment camps' as precedent.

It's the same reasoning we fear a nationwide registry of  firearms.  Our attitude there is a big "eff you'!  He shouldn't have used that as part of his 'defense' argument, IMO.

BTW....his beard was asymetrical.  Looked ridiculous.

Everyone born in this country is registered. Everyone legally entering this country is registered. How Trump's proposal differs from the norm has not been said.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Everyone born in this country is registered. Everyone legally entering this country is registered. How Trump's proposal differs from the norm has not been said.

If you consider a birth certificate as 'registration'....hard to argue with.

But, technology advances permit eye scanning...facial recognition data, etc., to be filed on Muslim immigrants from regions of war.

So...I'm all for it. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

Citing Japanese internment camps selling a concept is always a winner.

Offline Night Hides Not

But, technology advances permit eye scanning...facial recognition data, etc., to be filed on Muslim immigrants from regions of war.

So...I'm all for it.

So, let's violate a couple of Constitutional amendments while we're at it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 02:48:28 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Citing Japanese internment camps selling a concept is always a winner.

Korematsu is definitely one of the high points of FDR's Supreme Court.  /sarc

Frank, my mom grew up near Portland OR, and she was a teen during WW2. Despite my attempts, she NEVER said anything about those internment camps. Both she and my stepfather worked with Japanese-Americans, and it was simply a topic that was not broached.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Longmire

So, let's violate a couple of Constitutional amendments while we're at it.

Scarecrow argument...you might as well cite Scottish law.

Is that what they're teaching nowadays at Gonzaga?

Offline endicom

Don't they now give Social Security numbers at birth?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

That just seems irrational as hell to me.

There's a pretty huge distinction here.  Korematsu involved the internment of American citizens during a war.  As indefensible as that was morally/constitutionally, there was at least a semblance of logic to it -- to protect us against citizens we may not be able to trust.

But registering immigrants?  If we wanted to protect ourselves against immigrants, we'd just deport them.  Why the hell would we round them up and put them into camps if we didn't want them here in the first place?  That wasn't an option during WWII, and with U.S. citizens, so we made the absolutely shitty (and unwarranted) decision to put them in camps.   But it most certainly is the most logical solution with undesired immigrants, and wouldn't violate their rights in the least because they don't have a "right" to be here anyway.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:09:19 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Night Hides Not

Scarecrow argument...you might as well cite Scottish law.

Is that what they're teaching nowadays at Gonzaga?

Looks like a Trumpster woke up without his coffee.

The arguments over eye scans and other measures have been debated for a number of years. Perhaps it's time to address this in the courts, before the Trump Administration bites off more than they could constitutionally chew.

I graduated from Zagland over 40 years ago, so I have no idea what the core curriculum looks like these days, but thanks for asking. Next time, please bring more than ad hominems with you.  I know it's the Trump way, but you've been rather tedious IMO.

Offline Night Hides Not

That just seems irrational as hell to me.

There's a pretty huge distinction here.  Korematsu involved the internment of American citizens during a war.  As indefensible as that was morally/constitutionally, there was at least a semblance of logic to it -- to protect us against citizens we may not be able to trust.

But registering immigrants?  If we wanted to protect ourselves against immigrants, we'd just deport them.  Why the hell would we round them up and put them into camps if we didn't want them here in the first place?  That wasn't an option during WWII, and with U.S. citizens, so we made the absolutely shitty (and unwarranted) decision to put them in camps.   But it most certainly is the most logical issue with immigrants, and wouldn't violate their rights in the least because they don't have a "right" to be here anyway.

Bill, the courts have ruled that illegal immigrants are accorded certain rights once they've entered the US. I think we'll have a stronger argument if the Trump Administration goes after those who have overstayed their visas, but that's just my opinion.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Bill, the courts have ruled that illegal immigrants are accorded certain rights once they've entered the US.

Illegal immigrants do have certain constitutional rights, but only those unrelated to their immigration status.  You can't arrest an illegal for a crime and then not give them a jury trial, for example.  But the "rights" they are granted relative to their immigration status are purely a creation of Congress, and not based on the Constitution.  The Court has repeatedly stated that Congress' power with respect to immigration is plenary.  So we can pretty much do what we want with them as it relates to their immigration status.  We are not even required to give them hearings before deportation if we don't want to.  All we have to do is change the relevant statutes.

In any case, what does this have to do with Megyn Kelly and an irrational fear of internment camps?  If that's what you're really worried about, I'm quite sure any constitutional restrictions on putting them in internment camps would kick in long before any constitutional restrictions on deportation.  So the fact that we'd deport before interning still seems pretty unassailable.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:24:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline endicom

The 'internments' of WWII are much misunderstood. Wikipedia serves as a good synopsis of Japanese, German and Italian internments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Italian_Americans

There is quite a difference between alien detention and the relocation/exclusion policies of WWII.

There was internment in WWI.

And in Canada. And in the UK. And so on.