Author Topic: 'Post-truth' is Oxford Dictionaries word of the year  (Read 766 times)

rangerrebew

'Post-truth' is Oxford Dictionaries word of the year
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:51 pm »
Listen | Print
By AFP     2 hours ago in World

Oxford Dictionaries chose "post-truth" as its word of the year on Wednesday, saying its use had spiked in the past year because of the Brexit vote in Britain and the rise of Donald Trump in the United States.

"Post-truth has gone from being a peripheral term to being a mainstay in political commentary," the Oxford Dictionaries said in a statement, noting that usage had increased by 2,000 percent since last year.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/post-truth-is-oxford-dictionaries-word-of-the-year/article/479688#ixzz4QAyMt4Rp

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: 'Post-truth' is Oxford Dictionaries word of the year
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:33:30 pm »
Listen | Print
By AFP     2 hours ago in World

Oxford Dictionaries chose "post-truth" as its word of the year on Wednesday, saying its use had spiked in the past year because of the Brexit vote in Britain and the rise of Donald Trump in the United States.

"Post-truth has gone from being a peripheral term to being a mainstay in political commentary," the Oxford Dictionaries said in a statement, noting that usage had increased by 2,000 percent since last year.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/post-truth-is-oxford-dictionaries-word-of-the-year/article/479688#ixzz4QAyMt4Rp

Nowhere in that article did I find out what the heck "post-truth" is supposed to mean.  From the article, I suspect it's sort of along the lines of a leftist neologism like "reality-based," meaning to the cognoscenti exactly the opposite of what the bare words would indicate.  Just as "reality-based" to them means something along the lines of, "conforming to our deluded dreams of how the world ought to work," I think "post-truth" must mean, "having rejected our 'reality-based' imaginings and returned to rationality."
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
OH, perfect timing for the word
LOL

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:54:15 pm »
Nowhere in that article did I find out what the heck "post-truth" is supposed to mean.  From the article, I suspect it's sort of along the lines of a leftist neologism like "reality-based," meaning to the cognoscenti exactly the opposite of what the bare words would indicate.  Just as "reality-based" to them means something along the lines of, "conforming to our deluded dreams of how the world ought to work," I think "post-truth" must mean, "having rejected our 'reality-based' imaginings and returned to rationality."
Post-Truth
ADJECTIVE

Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief:
‘in this era of post-truth politics, it's easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’
‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/post-truth
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:09:23 pm »
Post-Truth
ADJECTIVE

Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief:
‘in this era of post-truth politics, it's easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’
‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/post-truth

So I got it pretty much right.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »
So I got it pretty much right.
Yep. I'm still trying to figure out if this is really a "new" word. It's just a hyphen connection of two existing words and the meaning is just what you'd expect. If I start using buttered-toast instead of buttered toast have I really come up with a new word? I mean there is some Irony in using 'post' as a prefix, but overall I'm completely underwhelmed.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 01:53:23 am »
I'll stick to 30 or 40-year-old dictionaries, thank you very much.