Author Topic: Rudolph Giuliani’s Business Ties Viewed as Red Flag for Secretary of State Job  (Read 1330 times)

Offline libertybele

I agree.  Giuliani would only be lining his pockets (same as Clinton) as Sec'y State.

Rudolph Giuliani’s Business Ties Viewed as Red Flag for Secretary of State Job

WASHINGTON — Rudolph W. Giuliani, facing a flood of questions about whether his business dealings should disqualify him from being named President-elect Donald J. Trump’s secretary of state, on Tuesday defended his lucrative 15 years in the private sector as a credential for the job.

“I have friends all over the world,” Mr. Giuliani, the former New York mayor, said in an interview. “This is not a new thing for me. When you become the mayor, you become interested in foreign policy. When I left, my major work was legal and security around the world.”

As secretary of state, Mr. Giuliani, a loyal, often ferocious backer of Mr. Trump’s candidacy, would make fighting Islamist terrorism the centerpiece of the incoming administration’s foreign policy. He vaulted to national prominence because of his leadership after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and he still views foreign policy through the prism of that day.

But Mr. Giuliani’s business ties are a major red flag. He built a lucrative consulting and speechmaking career after leaving City Hall. His firm, Giuliani Partners, has had contracts with the government of Qatar and the Canadian company that is building the Keystone XL oil pipeline, and Mr. Giuliani has given paid speeches to a shadowy Iranian opposition group that until 2012 was on the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations...

...His other clients have included a long list of prominent American corporations, including Bear Stearns, Uber and CB Richard Ellis, the real estate giant. Under contract with Purdue Pharma, the maker of the often-abused painkiller OxyContin, Mr. Giuliani used his clout with the Justice Department to press the federal authorities to offer a less onerous punishment to the company after allegations that security problems at its warehouses might have contributed to black market sales.

But it is the lesser-known names that may draw the most scrutiny.

TriGlobal Strategic Ventures, a company that aims to “assist Western clients in furthering their business interests in the emerging economies of the former Soviet Union,” according to its website, is among the more obscure clients.

Records show Mr. Giuliani has had ties dating to at least 2004 to TriGlobal, a company that has provided image consulting to Russian oligarchs and clients with deep Kremlin ties. They have included Transneft, Russia’s state-owned oil pipeline giant, which is y the target of Western sanctions imposed after President Vladimir V. Putin annexed Crimea and began meddling in Ukraine...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/donald-trump-cabinet-rudy-giuliani.html?_r=0
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

This is the only business tie that I care about....

...who the hell wants a SS that shilled for some garbage on TV?

Offline libertybele

Rudy is best known for the role that he played in putting NY back together after 9/11.  IMHO if Trump wants to appoint Giuliani to his cabinet the logical position would be head of DHS.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I agree.  Giuliani would only be lining his pockets (same as Clinton) as Sec'y State.

Rudolph Giuliani’s Business Ties Viewed as Red Flag for Secretary of State Job

WASHINGTON — Rudolph W. Giuliani, facing a flood of questions about whether his business dealings should disqualify him from being named President-elect Donald J. Trump’s secretary of state, on Tuesday defended his lucrative 15 years in the private sector as a credential for the job.

“I have friends all over the world,” Mr. Giuliani, the former New York mayor, said in an interview. “This is not a new thing for me. When you become the mayor, you become interested in foreign policy. When I left, my major work was legal and security around the world.”

As secretary of state, Mr. Giuliani, a loyal, often ferocious backer of Mr. Trump’s candidacy, would make fighting Islamist terrorism the centerpiece of the incoming administration’s foreign policy. He vaulted to national prominence because of his leadership after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and he still views foreign policy through the prism of that day.

But Mr. Giuliani’s business ties are a major red flag. He built a lucrative consulting and speechmaking career after leaving City Hall. His firm, Giuliani Partners, has had contracts with the government of Qatar and the Canadian company that is building the Keystone XL oil pipeline, and Mr. Giuliani has given paid speeches to a shadowy Iranian opposition group that until 2012 was on the State Department’s list of foreign terrorist organizations...

...His other clients have included a long list of prominent American corporations, including Bear Stearns, Uber and CB Richard Ellis, the real estate giant. Under contract with Purdue Pharma, the maker of the often-abused painkiller OxyContin, Mr. Giuliani used his clout with the Justice Department to press the federal authorities to offer a less onerous punishment to the company after allegations that security problems at its warehouses might have contributed to black market sales.

But it is the lesser-known names that may draw the most scrutiny.

TriGlobal Strategic Ventures, a company that aims to “assist Western clients in furthering their business interests in the emerging economies of the former Soviet Union,” according to its website, is among the more obscure clients.

Records show Mr. Giuliani has had ties dating to at least 2004 to TriGlobal, a company that has provided image consulting to Russian oligarchs and clients with deep Kremlin ties. They have included Transneft, Russia’s state-owned oil pipeline giant, which is y the target of Western sanctions imposed after President Vladimir V. Putin annexed Crimea and began meddling in Ukraine...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/donald-trump-cabinet-rudy-giuliani.html?_r=0

Lets hope Trump picks Cruz.  Good post Libertybele.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

Rudy is best known for the role that he played in putting NY back together after 9/11.  IMHO if Trump wants to appoint Giuliani to his cabinet the logical position would be head of DHS.

Anything law and order would be a perfect fit. Before 9/11 his claim to fame was bringing down the NY Mafia. Why anyone would think he would be suited to deal with world leaders on foreign policy is beyond me.

Wingnut

Rudy's public service use by date has long passed.  He needs to shuffle off to Buffalo.

Offline libertybele

Rudy's public service use by date has long passed.  He needs to shuffle off to Buffalo.

Trump will find a place for Rudy, he is a fellow NYer and he's been a long time supporter of Trump.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump will find a place for Rudy, he is a fellow NYer and he's been a long time supporter of Trump.

Soros is a pal of Donny's. Should we expect a slot filled by him too?

Wingnut

Fashion/Makeup consultant for Melania?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Fashion/Makeup consultant for Melania?

Perfect!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

Breaking: Leona Helmsley says Rudy would make a perfect speed bump at the WH.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Seems like the DNC has found the questions for the media that it lost when Hillary was up for SOS.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

Seems like the DNC has found the questions for the media that it lost when Hillary was up for SOS.

Yeah, and you see how that turned out. Time to get some clean people in there.