Author Topic: Trump: I could have won popular vote if I needed to - BBC  (Read 1118 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump: I could have won popular vote if I needed to - BBC
« on: November 16, 2016, 01:29:17 am »
Trump: I could have won popular vote if I needed to

Donald Trump says he could have won the popular vote against Hillary Clinton if he had campaigned differently.

With one state left to count, Mrs Clinton has nearly a million more votes than him but lost last week's election due to the electoral college system.

Mr Trump said on Sunday this system was unfair and he preferred a simple vote.

But on Tuesday he insisted he would have still won a straight vote because he would have focused more on the big states won by Mrs Clinton.

"I would have campaigned in N.Y. Florida and California and won even bigger and more easily" the president-elect said on Twitter. He lost New York and California.

Read More At: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37992573

Good point, if it was about getting the popular vote, one might campaign differently.

Offline bilo

Re: Trump: I could have won popular vote if I needed to - BBC
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:31 am »
Trump is showing his lack of depth about govt when he supports doing away with the electoral college.

The electoral college exists for some very good reasons. It requires a candidate to try and win votes from the entire country not just one region. It limits the damage of vote fraud because the party committing/promoting the fraud can't do it everywhere (the last estimate I saw indicated that upwards of 3 million illegals voted).

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 01:52:27 am »
Who in there right mind wouldn't win the popular vote if could do it? Trump isn't making any sense here.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 02:23:28 am »
Trump: I could have won popular vote if I needed to - BBC

Take away the illegals and dead people and I have no doubts that he did. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:18 am »

Take away the illegals and dead people and I have no doubts that he did.

@DiogenesLamp

So you seek to disenfranchise the voting rights of the dead?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:30:52 am »
Who in there right mind wouldn't win the popular vote if could do it? Trump isn't making any sense here.

He's making perfect sense.   You can't win the presidency by just winning the popular vote.  (see Hillary)   

You have to win the electoral college.  Knowing full well he couldn't flip California,  New York,  Oregon or Washington,   why would he waste a single dollar or a moment of his time campaigning in such states?   

He also didn't need to spend much time campaigning in states like Texas,  Oklahoma,  or Utah.  He was going to win those. 

The way the system is set up,  the only states that matter are "Battleground"  states.   Meaning Ohio,  Florida,  Pennsylvania.     These and a few potential others,  was where he needed to concentrate his advertising dollars and appearances.   These are where he needed to concentrate his get out the vote efforts.   

Donald Trump won the Presidency while spending less than half (I've seen even lower estimates)   the money that Hillary spent,  because he focused his efforts efficiently.   

He ran a campaign like a businessmen,  rather than like a government bureaucrat,   and that's why it came in successful,  and far under the budget that Hillary spent.   (And that's not counting all the free positive publicity that the media gave her.)   

If he was going for the "Popular vote",   he would have spent more dollars and campaign time in New York and California,   but that is not how the system is set up to award the Presidency. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 02:32:21 am »
@DiogenesLamp

So you seek to disenfranchise the voting rights of the dead?

I'd go further than that.    I would raise the voting age back up to 21,  and I would bar anyone who doesn't pay Federal taxes from voting in a Federal election.   

The fewer children, idiots and parasites involved in the process,  the better results it will produce. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:37:17 am »

GWB said the same thing in 2000 about running a different campaign tailored to win the popular vote. 

Presidential candidates campaign with an eye on the Electoral College  .... which proves its brilliance.  The EC gives folks in smaller states a voice in national elections.   

So sorry, NY and CA   ^-^

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:39:47 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 02:42:40 am »
Someone finally got the courage to tell him that HRC received more popular votes than he did.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 02:45:30 am »
Someone finally got the courage to tell him that HRC received more popular votes than he did.

The numbers I have recently seen claim 3 million illegals and 4 million dead people voted.   

Given that dead people and illegals vote for Democrats,   i'd say remove those,  and he wins the popular vote by a landslide. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online LMAO

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 02:51:25 am »

The numbers I have recently seen claim 3 million illegals and 4 million dead people voted.   

Given that dead people and illegals vote for Democrats,   i'd say remove those,  and he wins the popular vote by a landslide.

@DiogenesLamp

You seem to have a hostility to voting rights for the dead.

I'll have to come up with an "ism" to describe you
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 03:02:57 am »
I believe that when the illegals, the dead, vapor-people/cartoons/super-heroes, and the people who vote in two States are purged, Trump will have the popular vote.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.