Author Topic: Court rules that a medical marijuana card will prevent you from buying a gun  (Read 1049 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has decided that if you have a medical marijuana card, you can't buy a gun because it “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”....

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/644975682408947721

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm going to take an off-the-wall guess that most people who want "medical marijuana cards" (and a large number of whom aren't having "medical" problems) come from a demographic that isn't interested in legal gun ownership.

Not all. Most.

I could be completely wrong, and welcome correction.

Chances are, it's probably a good thing that many of these "can't carry"...

Offline Idiot

@Wingnut ....did you hear about this?
   :smokin:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:21:21 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline thackney

http://fortune.com/2016/09/01/medical-marijuana-gun/

...A lawsuit was filed in 2011 by Nevada resident S. Rowan Wilson after she tried to purchase a gun for self-defense and was denied based on a federal ban on the sale of guns to users of illegal drugs. Though marijuana has been legalized in some places on a state-by-state basis, it remains illegal under federal law. The court maintained that drug use “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

Wilson claimed that she doesn’t actually use marijuana, she simply obtained a card to show her support for its legalization. The appeals court agreed with guidelines from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that firearms sellers should assume that medical marijuana card holders use the drug....

- - - - - - - - - -

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bbb3ef37357d4799bec33cb2d36a7bae/us-court-upholds-ban-gun-sales-marijuana-card-holders

...We live in a world where having a medical marijuana card is enough to say you don't get a gun, but if you're on the no fly list your constitutional right is still protected," he said.

The 9th Circuit also rejected other constitutional challenges to the ban that were raised by Wilson, including her argument that her gun rights were being stripped without due process....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/about-nics

A delay response from the NICS Section indicates the subject of the background check has been matched with either a state or federal potentially prohibiting record containing a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth). The federally prohibiting criteria are as follows:

* A person who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than two years.

* Persons who are fugitives of justice—for example, the subject of an active felony or misdemeanor warrant.

* An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.

* A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges of found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial.

* A person who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

* A person who, being an alien except as provided in subsection (y) (2), has been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa.

* A person dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.

* A person who has renounced his/her United States citizenship.

* The subject of a protective order issued after a hearing in which the respondent had notice that restrains them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such partner. This does not include ex parte orders.

* A person convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime which includes the use or attempted use of physical force or threatened use of a deadly weapon and the defendant was the spouse, former spouse, parent, guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited in the past with the victim as a spouse, parent, guardian or similar situation to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.

* A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm going to take an off-the-wall guess that most people who want "medical marijuana cards" (and a large number of whom aren't having "medical" problems) come from a demographic that isn't interested in legal gun ownership.

Not all. Most.

I could be completely wrong, and welcome correction.

Chances are, it's probably a good thing that many of these "can't carry"...

In the too funny department, we had an outgoing sheriff who gave an interview to  a local paper, and told the reporter that the perp (theft) was "hopped up" on Marijuana.

I blew out enough coffee to ruin the paper.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

If the medical benefits of marijuana - pain relief for people with MS, etc. - were readily available in a form that did not have the same effect* as when it is smoked, how many of these people so desperate for "medical marijuana" would still demand it, I wonder?

*a buzz, high, intoxication or whatever it might be called
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org