Author Topic: Why Donald Trump Needs to Take a Salary  (Read 1177 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Donald Trump Needs to Take a Salary
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:56 pm »
 Why Donald Trump Needs to Take a Salary

There’s a reason the Framers wanted the president to get paid—and if their logic was good enough for George Washington, it should be good enough for Trump.

By Rob Goodman

November 15, 2016

In his first interview as president-elect, Donald Trump pledged that he will accept as little of the presidential salary as he can get away with. “I think I have to by law take $1, so I’ll take $1 a year,” he told CBS’s Leslie Stahl. “$400,000 you’re giving up,” she responded, as if this were some sort of public-spirited sacrifice.

It is anything but a sacrifice. The precedent of insisting that the president accept a salary—not in his interest, but in the public interest—is as old as the first Congress, even older. The American framers considered payment of the presidential salary an important duty under the Constitution, and the principle that moved them then matters just as much as it ever did: It confirms that the president serves the public, and not the other way around. If the Founders’ reasons were good enough to persuade George Washington, our first independently wealthy president, they should be good enough for Donald Trump.

If we remember Washington’s 1789 inaugural address for anything today, it’s probably for the halting and soft-spoken delivery that surprised some of its audience. But we generally forget that a promise at the very end made quite a bit of news in its day. Washington had declined a salary as commander of the revolutionary army (though he did have a lavish expense account). Now, he announced that he would continue that tradition and once again serve for free. As a general, Washington said, “the light in which I contemplated my duty required that I should renounce every pecuniary compensation.” Since then, he went on, “from this resolution I have in no instance departed. And being still under the impressions which produced it, I must decline as inapplicable to myself, any share in the personal emoluments … for the Executive Department.”

more
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/donald-trump-salary-george-washington-214458
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Why Donald Trump Needs to Take a Salary
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:55:05 am »
Oh, well, it's Trump.  The refusal to take a salary is just show... he plans to make much more than that as a side benefit.  He'll figure it out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:01:42 am »
Ridiculous.  I swear grown adults like to get their panties in a bunch more than children do  about the dumbest things.   I don't care if he takes a salary or not.  Anyone who thinks the Donald is going to be more responsive to the American people because he takes a salary has lost his marbles. :thud:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 02:27:42 am »
Oh no.  He doesn't want a salary because he doesn't plan on being controlled by the job.  He doesn't plan on being bound by the Constitution.  The presidency just became his personal business and he will do as he pleases.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:51:47 am »
How chilling to hear someone on the radio complaining that he's been criticized and he hasn't even begun to RULE yet.
So now public service and an oath to the constitution equals RULING???

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:13 am »
Oh no.  He doesn't want a salary because he doesn't plan on being controlled by the job.  He doesn't plan on being bound by the Constitution.  The presidency just became his personal business and he will do as he pleases.

Trump is not the first president to not accept a salary; both John F. Kennedy and Herbert Hoover donated their salaries to charities.  Regardless if Trump takes a salary or not, he is still bound by the Constitution.  Perhaps I'm giving Trump a little more credit than is due him, but I believe he will drain some of the current swamp and try to streamline things in order that government runs more efficiently.  I'm not implying that he's not going to make a lot of money along the way, but I have never doubted his ability to get the economy going again.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 03:16:24 am »
That 400K might put him in a higher tax bracket...Oh wait...he doesn't pay any taxes and hasn't payed any in years.

Never mind.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:35:57 am »
Trump is not the first president to not accept a salary; both John F. Kennedy and Herbert Hoover donated their salaries to charities.  Regardless if Trump takes a salary or not, he is still bound by the Constitution.  Perhaps I'm giving Trump a little more credit than is due him, but I believe he will drain some of the current swamp and try to streamline things in order that government runs more efficiently.  I'm not implying that he's not going to make a lot of money along the way, but I have never doubted his ability to get the economy going again.

Well you see?  He isn't even smart enough to give his salary to charity.  He is going to waste more than his salary commuting to New York instead of living in the White House.  Whether he gets the economy going or not remains to be seen.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:02 am »
Oh, well, it's Trump.  The refusal to take a salary is just show... he plans to make much more than that as a side benefit.  He'll figure it out.

He already has one thing he always wanted that will fill his pockets. Diverting air travel over Mar a Lago.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »
Ridiculous.  I swear grown adults like to get their panties in a bunch more than children do  about the dumbest things.   I don't care if he takes a salary or not.  Anyone who thinks the Donald is going to be more responsive to the American people because he takes a salary has lost his marbles. :thud:

:thumbsup2:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »
He already has one thing he always wanted that will fill his pockets. Diverting air travel over Mar a Lago.

How does that "fill his pockets"?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
If Trump hadn't done this they be whining about why does a supposed Billionaire need the salary. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour