Author Topic: GOP and Trump put deficit on back burner  (Read 2204 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
GOP and Trump put deficit on back burner
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

A serious case of fiscal amnesia may soon be sweeping the GOP.

For eight years, Republicans hammered President Barack Obama for exploding the national debt. But now a GOP-led spending spree is coming, with Donald Trump riding to the White House on trillion-dollar promises and a Republican Congress that looks likely to do his bidding. It’s a potential echo of the last time Republicans ran Washington, when then-Vice President Dick Cheney memorably remarked, “Deficits don’t matter.”.....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/deficit-donald-trump-republicans-231372

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: GOP and Trump put deficit on back burner
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
We are getting to the point where even a slight rise in interest rates will means interest will start sucking up major portions of tax revenue. Everything we add just lowers that magic number.

It's really going to hurt if we go into a recession and deficits start ballooning again. Now we're just doing it for the hell of it apparently.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 08:16:00 pm »
It used to be called the Twilight Zone.  Now it's the Trump Zone. 

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »

This article is pure unadulterated speculation.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »
This article is pure unadulterated speculation.

Perhaps.

But if history is any guide......
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:28 pm »
Perhaps.

But if history is any guide......

No "perhaps", just fact. Let wait an see actions rather then let the 92% anti Trump reporting "News Media' tells us what to think

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:58:12 pm »
My gosh.  Nobody knows that yet.  I wish we could have a media that reports what they know.  Otherwise, their conjecture is no better than mine.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online LMAO

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:22:44 pm »
No "perhaps", just fact. Let wait an see actions rather then let the 92% anti Trump reporting "News Media' tells us what to think

We do know that Trump wants to increase spending. Has said so in his own words.I judge Donald Trump by his own words. Not what the "news media" tells me to think

The only speculation is the Republican controlled Congress going along with this
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:57:24 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:58:14 pm »
Fifty bucks to one's favorite charity says Trump's first budget proposal is the same or higher than BHO's last

Barry Goldwater

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:10 pm »
Has he shown anything so far that would indicate he would balance the budget?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:49:07 pm »

Put the crack pipe down. Donny has said that he would deal with the deficit by borrowing as much as he possibly can and then defaulting.

The deficit isn't on the back burner. It was taken off the stove and fed to the raccoons out back.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:18 pm »
Not a surprise. Trump promised big spending on big govt. :shrug:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 12:26:30 am »
Fifty bucks to one's favorite charity says Trump's first budget proposal is the same or higher than BHO's last

That is a certainty.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 12:32:59 am »
We are getting to the point where even a slight rise in interest rates will means interest will start sucking up major portions of tax revenue

Not if we Balance the budget now.  Future rises in interest rates affect future borrowing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 12:35:10 am »
Put the crack pipe down. Donny has said that he would deal with the deficit by borrowing as much as he possibly can and then defaulting.

The deficit isn't on the back burner. It was taken off the stove and fed to the raccoons out back.

Didn't he promise twice as much spending as Clinton?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:08 am »

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/may/16/closer-look-donald-trumps-comments-about-refinanci/
He did say that and more.  Very  *hmmmm*
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online LMAO

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 01:14:15 am »
Conservatives should not cheer, or ignore the GOP's deficit spending after railing against BHO and Pelosi's.

On the bright side, Democrats will care about deficits again

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 02:15:05 am »
 If this comes to pass, Democrats and the left will be having a field day. And I can't say I'd blame them

Barry Goldwater

Online Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 02:43:20 am »
Has he shown anything so far that would indicate he would balance the budget?

He certainly didn't campaign that he would.  Nothing ever posted on his campaign website about it.  Not even his supporters made mention of it.

But we do know that he proposed a $1 trillion Obama-style 'stimulus' bill.  And then of course there's that wall to be built.  Not sure why he expects Mexico to pay for it when the US won't pay its own bills.  Maybe Mexico can simply print up the money just as the US government is currently doing.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 02:49:10 am »
He certainly didn't campaign that he would.  Nothing ever posted on his campaign website about it.  Not even his supporters made mention of it.

But we do know that he proposed a $1 trillion Obama-style 'stimulus' bill.  And then of course there's that wall to be built.  Not sure why he expects Mexico to pay for it when the US won't pay its own bills.  Maybe Mexico can simply print up the money just as the US government is currently doing.

One would like to believe that pressure will be put on him in regards to upcoming spending proposals he has made but I caught Hannity this afternoon and it sounded Hannity no longer has any interest in controlling spending anymore

Barry Goldwater

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 05:55:59 am »
Not if we Balance the budget now.  Future rises in interest rates affect future borrowing.

True, but our average maturity is 6 years. Unfortunately they thought it'd be cool to shove the debt into short term. So if rates tick up and stay there, we'll roll into them pretty fast.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 06:04:28 am »
Congress may have something to say about that

There are like 3 politicians in the entire country who would pass up spending large sums of money, especially when they are in control of where it goes.