Author Topic: Was Trump the only Republican who could have won this year?  (Read 1249 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Was Trump the only Republican who could have won this year?
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

Was Trump the only Republican who could have won this year?
By W. James Antle III (@jimantle) • 11/15/16 1:23 AM

The conventional wisdom was that almost any of the other 16 Republican presidential candidates could have run better than Donald Trump. Hillary Clinton's team certainly believed it.

Now that Trump is president-elect, not only was his weakness clearly exaggerated. With the benefit of hindsight, Trump may have been the only Republican contender who could have broken Clinton's blue wall and pulled off the upset.

"I wouldn't have believed it," said a D.C. anti-Trump conservative. "Now it sure seems like it."

Consider Trump's unlikely path to a majority in the Electoral College. Trump held on to every state Mitt Romney won in 2012 and managed to flip perennial battleground Florida into the Republican column. But the real difference-maker was Trump's strong performance in the industrial Midwest, giving him Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa and likely Michigan.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/was-trump-the-only-republican-who-could-have-won-this-year/article/2607397
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Was Trump the only Republican who could have won this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:46:21 pm »
Nope!  Not by a LONG shot!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
The results of this election weren't nearly as much the result of Trump's strength as they were Hillary's weakness.

There was a strong undercurrent of anti-establishmentism thanks to the feckless republican congress, but there were several other primary candidates in the running that could've answered this effectively, IMO.

Offline Hurricane Andrew

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »
The results of this election weren't nearly as much the result of Trump's strength as they were Hillary's weakness.

Exactly.  This wasn't a vote for Trump, it was a vote against Hillary.  In fact, I'd say that Trump was the only Republican who could have potentially lost this election.  Well, OK, add Jeb in there too.  Other than that, it would have been a veritable landslide had Cruz, Carson, Rubio, Fiorina, erc. been the nominee.
There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »
Well, Mr. Trump made it more competitive than others may have.  I'll leave it there.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »
Exactly.  This wasn't a vote for Trump, it was a vote against Hillary.  In fact, I'd say that Trump was the only Republican who could have potentially lost this election.  Well, OK, add Jeb in there too.  Other than that, it would have been a veritable landslide had Cruz, Carson, Rubio, Fiorina, erc. been the nominee.

It wasn't just a vote against Hillary.  It was also a vote against political correctness, Hollywood, the liberal media, the music industry and liberal sports  celebrities.  The aforementioned pushed people to vote for Trump and not because he was the best choice.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »
It wasn't just a vote against Hillary.  It was also a vote against political correctness, Hollywood, the liberal media, the music industry and liberal sports  celebrities.  The aforementioned pushed people to vote for Trump and not because he was the best choice.

DING! DING! DING!  We have a winner here folks!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:03:25 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:02:53 pm »
Definitely not. I believe that Cruz, Walker, Rubio (and in that order) could have easily beat her.  The polls continuously showed that Trump was the candidate that was least likely to beat Hillary AND he won a lot of states by very thin margins; some less than l%. What I find really surprising is that she still has not asked for recounts in any state.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »
Hitlary was being beat by the "Generic Republican" in polls. That means that you could insert any name into that equation and they would have beaten her.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:33 pm »

Not sure I agree with that.  It wasn't just a vote against Hillary, but a vote out of frustration, and against the system as it currently stands.  Trump correctly identified this and was willing to say the things needed to make himself the symbol of that frustration.  For a lot (most?) of those who voted for Trump, it was never about Trump; and so his very outrageousness worked to solidify their support for him (as a breaker of the status quo), and to insulate him from the usual political repercussions.

A more usual candidate, especially a polite one, would likely have had trouble harnessing the energy in the same way Trump did, and Hillary Clinton might well have been able to pull this one out.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 05:23:25 pm »
No, with Trump as the Republican nominee, Hillary was the only Democrat that could have lost.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 05:26:09 pm »
I am of the opinion that any candidate who espoused conservative positions could have won.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 05:30:07 pm »
No, others could have won. Several already mentioned.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »

There was a strong undercurrent of anti-establishmentism thanks to the feckless republican congress, but there were several other primary candidates in the running that could've answered this effectively, IMO.

I think we had a lot of better candidates who could have won easier, but, hey, who the heck knows?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 06:33:31 pm »
Any number of others could have won. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 06:38:47 pm »
In ways, I don't agree with those who say some of the others would have won the Blue Collar Rust Belt Midwest and that is what basically won it for Trump, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin and Pennsylvania could be included.

So, if one is saying your candidate could have won Wisconsin, that is up to debate.

That said, these figures which probably don't include Michigan show McCain, Romney and Trump all hit the around 60,000,000 vote figure, total for the US.

https://emsnews.wordpress.com/2016/11/12/were-the-obama-election-results-fraud-how-many-illegal-aliens-voted/

I think a lot of fraud likely occurred in the last two elections.

Rubio and perhaps Kasich could have taken the upper Midwestern states. Cruz might have gotten Wisconsin. To get that whole role of states is pretty phenomenal though, Rs never win Pa., Mich. or Wisc.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused