Author Topic: How to Break an Illusion  (Read 2265 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
How to Break an Illusion
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
How to Break an Illusion (Scott Adams blog-Dilbert creator

Posted November 14th, 2016 @ 8:23am in #Trump #Clinton

Anti-Trump protesters believe they are fighting the good fight to stop a racist, homophobic, sexist monster. But about half of the country – the half that I’m in – is in a different movie. In our movie, we selected a new president and half of the country is in cognitive dissonance over it. Assuming the protesters are the ones experiencing the illusion, and not us, how can we release them from their zombie-like existence so they will stop blocking traffic?

I’ll tell you the general approach.

The main thing you have to do is violate the frame. Clinton framed Trump as a monster, and now protesters are locked into that illusion. If Trump does things that can be construed as monster-like, the illusion is strengthened. But every time he violates that framing, the illusion gets a crack. If it cracks enough, it breaks.

For example, half the country thought Trump was going to eliminate every good thing about Obamacare. But recently the public learned that Trump wants to keep the most popular provisions and just “fix” the rest of it. That violates the monster frame. But it isn’t enough by itself. You need more violations.

Picking Reince Priebus for Chief of Staff was a good step because it makes Trump seem presidential and flexible. That’s another violation of the monster frame. But a small one.

snip

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153172272041/how-to-break-an-illusion
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: How to Break an Illusion
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
Serious students of politics might like to study some of what Adams has written, about Trump's success.

He refers to the "Master Persuader." He predicted months ago, a Trump win.

One TRUTH which SHOULD be clear from this election, is that several olde paradigms are now obsolete.

You are of course free to cling to them, but that doesn't make them meaningful.

CAN YOU HEAR US, NOW ???

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:52:59 pm »
Serious students of politics might like to study some of what Adams has written, about Trump's success.

He refers to the "Master Persuader." He predicted months ago, a Trump win.

One TRUTH which SHOULD be clear from this election, is that several olde paradigms are now obsolete.

You are of course free to cling to them, but that doesn't make them meaningful.

CAN YOU HEAR US, NOW ???

As Trump's immediate predecessor has so amply demonstrated, "winning the office" isn't the same as "fit for office."

The flip side to Adams' interesting discussion, is that in order for Trump to "break the illusion," he has to break pretty much all of his campaign promises; and Pence (among others) has to ditch his principles.

His campaign, in other words, was based on lies.

Many of us predicted this months ago -- Trump could never govern on the basis of strict adherence to stupid promises. 

geronl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:02:46 pm »

Trump is a liberal, I have been correct all along.

His supporters need to admit they are liberal big government lovers.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:09:35 pm »
As Trump's immediate predecessor has so amply demonstrated, "winning the office" isn't the same as "fit for office."

The flip side to Adams' interesting discussion, is that in order for Trump to "break the illusion," he has to break pretty much all of his campaign promises; and Pence (among others) has to ditch his principles.

His campaign, in other words, was based on lies.

Many of us predicted this months ago -- Trump could never govern on the basis of strict adherence to stupid promises.

I'll let you in on a secret: Politicians generally can't keep all of their commitments. I was disappointed when Nixon proved to not actually have the secret way of ending the Vietnam 'war, that he campaigned on. Then I was disappointed when Reagan did Amnesty in 1986.

I became a political adult, so to speak. Therefore, I expect ALL politicians to fall short of my hopes.

So in a sense what "Many of us predicted this months ago" is something I learned long ago.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »
Trump never intended to.

Trump is a liberal, he is a lying con-man. It's been well-known from the start.

he will disappoint you on every issue.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:18:54 pm »
I'll let you in on a secret: Politicians generally can't keep all of their commitments. I was disappointed when Nixon proved to not actually have the secret way of ending the Vietnam 'war, that he campaigned on. Then I was disappointed when Reagan did Amnesty in 1986.

Oh, please.  You're trying to equate Trump already backtracking on his signature promises, with your disappointment in Nixon's method of keeping a promise he made, and Reagan's signature on legislation that was not even central to his presidential agenda.

I became a political adult, so to speak. Therefore, I expect ALL politicians to fall short of my hopes.

Oh, I'm sure you did.  But to me, it looks like you're already trying to rationalize the ways in which Trump's already lying to you.

So in a sense what "Many of us predicted this months ago" is something I learned long ago.

Did you expect Trump to run away from pretty much all of of his central promises, and for him to do so quite this soon?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »
Oh, please.  You're trying to equate Trump already backtracking on his signature promises, with your disappointment in Nixon's method of keeping a promise he made, and Reagan's signature on legislation that was not even central to his presidential agenda.

Oh, I'm sure you did.  But to me, it looks like you're already trying to rationalize the ways in which Trump's already lying to you.

Did you expect Trump to run away from pretty much all of of his central promises, and for him to do so quite this soon?

I am curious what the specific line is for everyone. Mine is simple, if he does decrease government and does not violate the Constitution in implementing his promises. I'll be glad to say I was wrong, especially the latter part as it is the most important (not violating the Constitution).

I wonder what the line is for the other side. What signature issue would he need to backtrack on for their to admit they were wrong about him or will there always be an excuse because the personality trumps the principle? 

We've already seen him backtrack on 'the establishment', he has moved left on Student loans, and he has started to backtrack on Obamacare and the Iran deal. What if he continues down this path?

What's the line?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »
I am curious what the specific line is for everyone. Mine is simple, if he does decrease government and does not violate the Constitution in implementing his promises. I'll be glad to say I was wrong, especially the latter part as it is the most important (not violating the Constitution).

I wonder what the line is for the other side. What signature issue would he need to backtrack on for their to admit they were wrong about him or will there always be an excuse because the personality trumps the principle? 

We've already seen him backtrack on 'the establishment', he has moved left on Student loans, and he has started to backtrack on Obamacare and the Iran deal. What if he continues down this path?

What's the line?

Thats where I'm at. He made promises, now he has to live up to them. I have no problem saying I was wrong about him if he keeps his word. If he does not, then he deserves to be called on it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:06:08 pm »

What's the line?

The line is in the sand.  If you start seeing Trump taking off his shoes and shaking them out, you may start to worry.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:05 pm »
Pretty much the same.

Except I try to factor in the fact that 30% of all campaign promises (irrespective of candidate or party) are pure BS to begin with
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »

What's the line?

For the truly committed, nothing.

For the reluctant, that's a better question
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:27 pm »

What's the line?
Well, some of it is right here: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,233460.msg1113434 In the first post and post 27 and scattered in the thread are the promises Trump made on the Campaign trail.

I'll use his own standard to judge by. He said it, he established it, either he will do it or he won't. While there are things in there I pray he does not accomplish, those are the things he said he'd do.

Nowadays, people expect politicians to lie to them, and despite being told Trump is a businessman (whom I would expect honesty from, or I would not conduct business with them), by now he certainly is a politician. Still, after months of being told how great he is because he is going to do these things, I expect those promises to be fulfilled.

I'm not imposing any Conservative standards on him other than I expect him to fully follow his oath of office and the Constitution of the United States. Those promises, though are all his. The more he breaks, the more he justifies my lack of support during the campaign.

Incidentally, I'm glad that felonious bitch didn't get in, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »

What's the line?

My line in the sand is not about domestic or immigration policy, because Congress and the courts have a great deal of say in how much Trump can accomplish and/or get away with.

I'm far more concerned about foreign policy.  To name a few, Trump will need to deal effectively with Putin, the Chinese, Iran, Iraq, Syria, the Middle East situation in general, relations with our NATO allies, trade agreements, and the world financial situation -- all of which promise to get uglier and more complicated over time.

As Obama's failures have already shown, a president can have a great deal of influence on those those situations will turn out.  Obama's failures were caused by a toxic and naive worldview that has very few points of contact with reality. 

Trump's weaknesses include an extremely thin-skinned vanity and an attendant tendency to attack when slighted; an apparent lack of interest in the long-term consequences of his deals; a fondness for "deals" regardless; and a tendency to make stupid and inflammatory statements.  All of which can be exploited, or which will alienate the countries and leaders he needs to work with.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:34:55 pm by r9etb »

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:09 pm »
It is interesting, since I made that post, many of us so-called "Nevers" have clearly stated what our line is and that we would gladly admit we are wrong.

But I haven't seen the same commitment from supporters as of yet.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 08:51:37 pm »
It is interesting, since I made that post, many of us so-called "Nevers" have clearly stated what our line is and that we would gladly admit we are wrong.

But I haven't seen the same commitment from supporters as of yet.

It will be unmistakable when a line does get crossed.  My guess is that it will be when Trump backtracks on immigration.

Offline ABX

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »
It will be unmistakable when a line does get crossed.  My guess is that it will be when Trump backtracks on immigration.

I am going to go out on a limb and make a big deal out of the Secure Fence Act, go out to where it is already under construction, and take credit that it is his idea and his doing. He'll be heralded as accomplishing that goal when he just takes credit for other's work that is already in progress.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 09:14:42 pm »

Its much easier to believe this illusion than deal with the possibility you've really not been correct all along.

Even easier when "liberal" can mean whatever you want it to.  :laugh:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:58:18 pm »

Trump is a liberal,

I wouldn't put him in a Bernie Sanders category. But, we are starting to get hints of what Trump's governing philosophy is. Granted, nobody can say with 100% what the future holds, and we are told that we need to wait to see what he does, but his slip is starting to show after winning the election.

The hints are Trump does tend to believe that many problems require a government solution. He's probably not one to just leave market forces at work. If I had to pick which president he reminds me of the most in my lifetime, based on what I'm hearing thus far, it'll have to be Nixon
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:58 pm »
Its much easier to believe this illusion than deal with the possibility you've really not been correct all along.

Even easier when you define "Conservative" as "He Won".

Really, let's not be so disingenuous. He won because enough people thought she'd be worse. That's a pretty skimpy resume, no matter how many were deathly afraid of her.

Trump made promises, they are well documented. Some of them were signature positions, even if someone else was mentioning a 'wall' back in 2012 and before. He set his own standard by which to measure his performance and behaviour.

If Trump fails to fulfill those promises, it will be on a scorecard he wrote with his own mouth during the campaign. That way, there won't be any of this "it's not fair" crap over us expecting him to be a Conservative or even act like one instead of his ordinary New York Liberal self.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 11:04:19 pm »

His supporters need to admit they are liberal big government lovers.

Trump has been a celebrity for more than 30 years and has always been exactly as he is today.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:54 am »

Here is what it really comes down to. I am judging Trump not on any one issue. I am judging him by his cumulative effect.

My standard of living has seen a decrease in the last 8 years: The loss of a great job because of the economic meltdown through them pricing healthcare out of my reach.

If Trump does things that raise my standard of living I will acknowledge him as being a "good" POTUS. Anything less and he is another shyster POS talking out of both sides of his neck.

For now, he is a shyster POS talking out of both sides of his neck.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Longmire

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 12:20:27 am »
Even easier when you define "Conservative" as "He Won".

Easiest of all is not to use such meaningless and subjective labels in the first place.  :shrug:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 12:26:46 am »
Easiest of all is not to use such meaningless and subjective labels in the first place.  :shrug:

Yeppers. Easiest. We are all on easy street now. And I am going to live foe-eh-vuhhh.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 12:27:19 am »
Trump has been a celebrity for more than 30 years and has always been exactly as he is today.

There is a lot truth to that @Cripplecreek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY