Author Topic: Trump Not Expected To Live In White House Full Time  (Read 6396 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump Not Expected To Live In White House Full Time
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 06:16:01 pm »
I wonder if they're going to close the airspace over NY while Trump is there. What about the revenue lost by businesses whenever Trump or high ranking foreign dignitaries move around. The repercussions from an attack or attempted attack on a foreign leader in NY would be enormous. I've also got concerns about visitor logs.

I read yesterday that the Trump team is seeking top security clearance for the Trump kids who will be running the "blind trust". Its like they're deliberately announcing that they intend to be wildly corrupt.

We need to nip this Trump dynasty thing in the bud.  His kids are much prettier and smoother than Trump is but equally corrupt. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:10 pm »
I think he's talked about working for a dollar a year anyways. Since he already owns the other places it'll be a heck uv a lot cheaper than it's been flying the first family around the world for vacation after vacation for eight years. Most presidents have had other places they like to hang out.

There's 'hang out' occasionally and there's sleep in Trump Tower 6 nights a week.  Trump is planning on the latter.  It won't work, but he may do it anyway.  That's trump for you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »
I think he's talked about working for a dollar a year anyways. Since he already owns the other places it'll be a heck uv a lot cheaper than it's been flying the first family around the world for vacation after vacation for eight years. Most presidents have had other places they like to hang out.
Oh, the Mooch's vacations, with entourage, are the stuff of any Marie Antoinette wannabe's dreams. They were excessive to the point of ridiculous, and had they been taken by a Republican First Lady, they would have been serious media fodder.

This isn't about what she did. This is about the expense of having facilities in Trump Tower on par with those in the White House, security, communications (also secure), and being able to get the POTUS to secure command facilities in the event of sudden hostilities. Having him in New York City makes the town a strategic two-fer. Getting him out through air traffic in the event he needs to be relocated quickly is problematical. Most locations other Presidents went to were more easily secured, or already set up for the presence of the POTUS, or close to command facilities and had definable no-fly areas around them for security and exit purposes.

Just because estimates are less (I'm not sure what basis that is done on since the nature of those facilities isn't really common knowledge--construction specs, equipment, comms, etc.) setting up new ones elsewhere might prove even more expensive than the Mooch's sojourns.

I seriously doubt $399,999.00 (if he works for a dollar a year) will cover that expense.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:11:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:17 pm »
Why would you not want to live in the White House? I don't get that.

It's basically the highest honor you could get in the world.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »
*crickets*

Assuming he gets away with it, this wouldn't exactly be the first time nepotism had a place in the
federal government . . .

I see nothing wrong with giving Robert a little more on the job experience before he moves into private
practise
.---John F. Kennedy, after appointing his brother attorney general.

Doesn't make sense.  If they are going to run the family business in a trust, then they cannot be working in the administration of any government office at the same time.  So why do they need the clearances. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:40 am »
Doesn't make sense.  If they are going to run the family business in a trust, then they cannot be working in the administration of any government office at the same time.  So why do they need the clearances.
So they can run daddy's private server.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2016, 12:30:44 am »

Somehow, I think trying to make sense of things that can't be made sense of----like this year's presidential
election, period ;)---is an exercise in futility. The only thing that does make sense is that the president-elect
already thinks he's above at least a portion of the law.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:28 am »
We need to nip this Trump dynasty thing in the bud.

I guess it came down to thinking he could forge a better dynasty than
the Clintons and the Bushes tried to forge. ;)

His kids are much prettier and smoother than Trump is but equally corrupt.

Their next reality show will be called Foul-Up, Bleeps, and Plunders . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2016, 01:01:19 am »
I agree.  You wanted the job, live in the freaking house most of the time.

He knew that the house came with the job.  It isn't just a home but a place where the President can do his job securely.  Everyone worried about Hillary's emails?  Trump wants all his kids to know every issue of American national security.  Furthermore meetings in Manhattan?  Imagine another terrorist attack in New York.  And it isn't even a house its an apartment.  How are they going to sweep the president underground when he is living in the city on the 66th floor of Trump Tower? 

This explains exactly why the President needs to live at the White House.  There is no command center on the 66th floor of Trump Tower.

https://whitehouse.gov1.info/tunnel/

I am appalled that this would even be entertained.  It sounds like he wants to spend the bulk of his time at his penthouse.  Being President is a responsibility and many families have done it.  The children suffer.  They have no privacy.  The president has no privacy.  If he wasn't interested in the sacrifice that comes with the job he shouldn't have pursued it.  He needs to be there to do his job.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2016, 01:04:35 am »
You know this how?
Like you said, that's what background checks are for. Let's get the FBI on it right away! :silly:I'm not a fan of nepotism. There is an inherent conflict of interest there.

Let me spell it out for you. Signing/vetoing a particular piece of legislation can have profound effects on equity markets and the future (or lack thereof) of specific companies.
If his kids are going to be managing the family fortune, they should not be privy to such information. That amounts to insider trading. Knowledge of classified information could similarly give a market advantage to the family (and thus, Trump's own) investments that others would be prohibited by law from having.

So, Mr fiscal conservative, there is a problem.

Bingo.  Not to mention private text and email. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2016, 01:53:01 am »
He knew that the house came with the job.  It isn't just a home but a place where the President can do his job securely.  Everyone worried about Hillary's emails?  Trump wants all his kids to know every issue of American national security.  Furthermore meetings in Manhattan?  Imagine another terrorist attack in New York.  And it isn't even a house its an apartment.  How are they going to sweep the president underground when he is living in the city on the 66th floor of Trump Tower? 

This explains exactly why the President needs to live at the White House.  There is no command center on the 66th floor of Trump Tower.

https://whitehouse.gov1.info/tunnel/

I am appalled that this would even be entertained.  It sounds like he wants to spend the bulk of his time at his penthouse.  Being President is a responsibility and many families have done it.  The children suffer.  They have no privacy.  The president has no privacy.  If he wasn't interested in the sacrifice that comes with the job he shouldn't have pursued it.  He needs to be there to do his job.

Trump is not exactly ... how can I put it?  Normal?  Most of us knew that Trump had more than the average number of obsessions and phobias. 

It wasn't noticed that much during the campaign but Trump can't sleep anywhere but in his bed in Trump Tower.  I'm not saying with his favorite Teddy Bear, but I'm just sayin'.

That's just one of his phobias, some of which will be hard to deal with as President. 

I just hope he doesn't try to make the White House more 'homey' by painting everything gilt.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:59 am »
Trump is not exactly ... how can I put it?  Normal?  Most of us knew that Trump had more than the average number of obsessions and phobias. 

It wasn't noticed that much during the campaign but Trump can't sleep anywhere but in his bed in Trump Tower.  I'm not saying with his favorite Teddy Bear, but I'm just sayin'.

That's just one of his phobias, some of which will be hard to deal with as President. 

I just hope he doesn't try to make the White House more 'homey' by painting everything gilt.

I knew about his bed problem a long time ago when it firs broke.  Most people didn't take issue with it but now its a problem.  A problem of national security and a financial problem.  I think he better get some help for his phobia's.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:32 am »
I knew about his bed problem a long time ago when it firs broke.  Most people didn't take issue with it but now its a problem.  A problem of national security and a financial problem.  I think he better get some help for his phobia's.

I didn't know about this and had too google. What's funny is that I have the same thing, I have a difficult time sleeping anywhere but my couch. It's the only comfortable place for me. I have fallen asleep in beds before though.

I have sympathy for Donald. I think it's an OCD thing.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2016, 05:49:09 am »

I didn't know about this and had too google. What's funny is that I have the same thing, I have a difficult time sleeping anywhere but my couch. It's the only comfortable place for me. I have fallen asleep in beds before though.

I have sympathy for Donald. I think it's an OCD thing.

I don't have any sympathy.  Apparently, Donald had only the vaguest idea of what being president entailed, part of which is living in the White House.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »
I don't have any sympathy.  Apparently, Donald had only the vaguest idea of what being president entailed, part of which is living in the White House.
So did Obama - he thought it was all free beer and golf, and hated the annoying "work" aspect of it.

Maybe Trump will find the presidency cramps his style too much, step down and (thankfully) give us President Pence.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2016, 12:33:30 pm »
I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned on this thread, but keep in mind that the offices of The Trump Organization are located in Trump Tower.  His three eldest children as executives of the company, have their offices in Trump Tower.

Trump has said that his children will take over running his businesses while he is in office.  Some, including myself, have concerns as this would not be a “blind trust” and that his children’s and SIL’s (Kushner) involvement in the campaign and now on the transition team gives the appearance that they may also be involved, even as “unpaid informal advisers” to the administration.

It is still unclear whether Trump looked into getting Kushner who also owns New York Observer newspaper, a security clearance so that he along with Flynn could sit in on Trump’s national security briefings.

Trump spending time living in Trump Tower, even if just on weekends is going to further call into question just how removed he is from the day to day running of his business ventures and his adult children’s and Kushner’s involvement in his administration. 

I have to wonder if there would be visitor logs at Trump Tower as there would be in the White House and how much access the Trump kids and Kushner would have to the NYC White House.  There are I think legitimate concerns on this.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned on this thread, but keep in mind that the offices of The Trump Organization are located in Trump Tower.  His three eldest children as executives of the company, have their offices in Trump Tower.

Trump has said that his children will take over running his businesses while he is in office.  Some, including myself, have concerns as this would not be a “blind trust” and that his children’s and SIL’s (Kushner) involvement in the campaign and now on the transition team gives the appearance that they may also be involved, even as “unpaid informal advisers” to the administration.

It is still unclear whether Trump looked into getting Kushner who also owns New York Observer newspaper, a security clearance so that he along with Flynn could sit in on Trump’s national security briefings.

Trump spending time living in Trump Tower, even if just on weekends is going to further call into question just how removed he is from the day to day running of his business ventures and his adult children’s and Kushner’s involvement in his administration. 

I have to wonder if there would be visitor logs at Trump Tower as there would be in the White House and how much access the Trump kids and Kushner would have to the NYC White House.  There are I think legitimate concerns on this.

Good post.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.