Author Topic: GOP To Use Previously Unheard Of Tactic To Slam Dunk Trump Agenda  (Read 3853 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nov 11, 2016 @ 07:00 AM 58,289 views
GOP To Use Previously Unheard Of Tactic To Slam Dunk Trump Agenda

Stan Collender , 

Contributor

The Republican congressional leadership is seriously considering an unprecedented procedure to guarantee that its and President-elect Donald Trump’s highest priorities are quickly
    this novel procedure would enact a sizable chunk of the Trump/GOP agenda without opponents having much…or perhaps…any influence on the outcome.

The Republican congressional leadership is seriously considering an unprecedented procedure to guarantee that its and President-elect Donald Trump’s highest priorities are quickly enacted soon after Congress convenes next year.

The key is “reconciliation,” the part of the congressional budget process that allows highly controversial policies to be considered in the Senate without any possibility of them being filibustered.

But reconciliation by itself isn’t the unprecedented procedure; it’s the novel way the leadership plans to use reconciliation: For the first time in the 4-plus decades’ history of the congressional budget process, reconciliation may occur twice in the same year.

more
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stancollender/2016/11/11/gop-to-do-previously-unimaginable-things-to-slam-dunk-its-agenda/#5ad1527467b5
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:11:25 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rodamala

Re: GOP To Use Previously Unheard Of Tactic To Slam Dunk Trump Agenda
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:19:51 am »
Oh, please.  Just about every assf**king we get comes via "Reconciliation".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:23:54 am »
When I read "previously unheard of tactic" I thought of things along the lines of competence, or spines.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:47:46 am »
If they are going to unwind Obamacare, it will only happen through reconciliation.  And they should employ this tactic, to remind everybody how it was passed.  Trump is probably going to keep most of it in place and rebadged, however.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:55:27 am »
  Trump is probably going to keep most of it in place and rebadged, however.

Can't be. Somebody on a Trump friendly, formerly conservative site said Obiecare is dead.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 03:04:15 am »

Can't be. Somebody on a Trump friendly, formerly conservative site said Obiecare is dead.

Obamacare as it exists right now, today, is definitely DEAD.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:20:05 am »
If they are going to unwind Obamacare, it will only happen through reconciliation.  And they should employ this tactic, to remind everybody how it was passed.  Trump is probably going to keep most of it in place and rebadged, however.

Yes. It will be called TrumpcareTM and will be available through the Sharper Image.

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 03:32:17 am »
Yes. It will be called TrumpcareTM and will be available through the Sharper Image.

Free Coupons Included

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 03:34:14 am »

If Trump does away with the mandate, insurance companies will drop out of any plan because it will break 'em.

What's next?  Single payer?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 03:36:54 am »

Really?  The pre-existing condition provision will remain, as will the youngsters being protected to age 26.

But, you're right.  If the mandate is killed, the entire plan falls apart.  Insurance companies won't play unless they get to charge people who are well to pay for people who are sick.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 03:41:12 am »
Really?  The pre-existing condition provision will remain, as will the youngsters being protected to age 26.

But, you're right.  If the mandate is killed, the entire plan falls apart.  Insurance companies won't play unless they get to charge people who are well to pay for people who are sick.

Sink. Looks like you are back from burning cars in Portland. Can you tell me bone thing? Is the beer there as good as they say?

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 04:03:03 am »

If Trump keeps the preexisting conditions requirement then he has to keep the mandate (the requirement to buy it). And if that is done, it is just Obamacare with a new name. And if you give it a new name, you (Trump and the Republicans) owns it. So if he's not very careful, he's going to move the albatross around the Democrats neck (is is currently their baby) to his neck and the Republicans.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 04:09:02 am »

I can't argue about this with any of you because I simply have no information. Leaks, and little quips from Trump, articles from this or that leftwing rag, do not count as information.

Until I see what Trump is proposing, that is, see it in my hand, I don't know what to say. I can't debate something that does not yet exist.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 04:15:30 am »
I can't argue about this with any of you because I simply have no information. Leaks, and little quips from Trump, articles from this or that leftwing rag, do not count as information.

Until I see what Trump is proposing, that is, see it in my hand, I don't know what to say. I can't debate something that does not yet exist.

I strongly  suspect that some members of the house have spent a good deal of time over the last six years figuring out how to get this done but that remains to be seen.  I personally  think  they will get it done as not getting it done will hang around their neck very heavily in the future.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 04:35:05 am »

Watch 60 Minutes tomorrow night.  Trump will say he's keeping pre-existing conditions and the 26 year old coverage.

Pre-existing conditions mean a mandate.  Otherwise, insurance companies walk and you have single payer.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 04:38:15 am »

I strongly  suspect that some members of the house have spent a good deal of time over the last six years figuring out how to get this done but that remains to be seen.  I personally  think  they will get it done as not getting it done will hang around their neck very heavily in the future.

As I play on this site, I always have Fox on the TV next to me. I heard today on Fox, wasn't really paying attention to who was speaking, that the Pubs have been working on an Obamacare replacement program for several years, as you said. That is how they plan to get it done in the first quarter next year. Most of it is already written. We shall see.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 04:39:36 am »

Yes.  They want "tax credits" instead of subsidies.  But tax credits don't help those who don't pay taxes.

This is quite a conundrum for the GOP.

I've always thought Obamacare was set up to introduce single payer.  And that may be the only alternative.  Trump likes that, though.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 04:41:12 am »

As I play on this site, I always have Fox on the TV next to me. I heard today on Fox, wasn't really paying attention to who was speaking, that the Pubs have been working on an Obamacare replacement program for several years, as you said. That is how they plan to get it done in the first quarter next year. Most of it is already written. We shall see.

The devil is in the details.

Trump likes single payer.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 04:42:48 am »
Watch 60 Minutes tomorrow night.  Trump will say he's keeping pre-existing conditions and the 26 year old coverage.

Pre-existing conditions mean a mandate.  Otherwise, insurance companies walk and you have single payer.

He has already said that, several times. Including once in a debate. This is not new.
As for your assumption about the mandate, I don't know enough about what they plan to do to comment.
Will they ask him about the mandate tomorrow? Seems like an obvious question to ask.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:43:14 am by 240B »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 04:47:55 am »

He has already said that, several times. Including once in a debate. This is not new.
As for your assumption about the mandate, I don't know enough about what they plan to do to comment.
Will they ask him about the mandate tomorrow? Seems like an obvious question to ask.

If he wants pre-existing conditions to be covered, he has to favor the mandate.

Otherwise, why would anybody have insurance?  If I am guaranteed coverage no matter what happens to me, I can drop coverage until I get sick. 

Then, because I can't be refused coverage, an insurance company has to cover my sickness.  They can't refuse.

If Trump doesn't want the mandate, then how does he propose to make sure insurance companies are solvent?

If there's no mandate, no insurance company will be part of this.

Voila.  The government has to cover the sickness, which makes the government the  payer of record.

Single payer.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 04:50:37 am »

Exactly.  Covering pre-existing conditions has always been part of his "replace".

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 04:52:58 am »
The devil is in the details.

Trump likes single payer.

Well, you've been right about everything so far...especially that Trump had no chance to beat Hillary...so I'm sure you're correct once again.

Two guarantees...after repealing Obamacare they WILL put coverage to 26 years and pre-existing clauses in the new bill. AND....there will NOT be a mandate. Paul Ryan already has a plan and he'll be laying it out in pieces over the next 60 days, in coordination with President Trump of course.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 04:56:37 am »

If he wants pre-existing conditions to be covered, he has to favor the mandate.

Otherwise, why would anybody have insurance?  If I am guaranteed coverage no matter what happens to me, I can drop coverage until I get sick. 

Then, because I can't be refused coverage, an insurance company has to cover my sickness.  They can't refuse.

If Trump doesn't want the mandate, then how does he propose to make sure insurance companies are solvent?

If there's no mandate, no insurance company will be part of this.

Voila.  The government has to cover the sickness, which makes the government the  payer of record.

Single payer.

Sink you are going over my head with your knowledge on this subject, as usual. This is all very interesting to me and I understand your argument completely. It is perplexing...

I don't know. We'll just have to wait an see. I don't see how they can resolve the pre-existing without the mandate. If we have the mandate, and the pre-existing, and the age 26 thing, then all we have is Obamacare with a different name. At least the fines go away, I guess.

But that does not correlate with GREAT, GREAT, HEALTH COVERAGE. I tell you folks, it's going to be soo good. It's going to be Yuge! The best health coverage in the world!

You sure have got me thinking about all this.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 04:56:38 am »
Exactly.  Covering pre-existing conditions has always been part of his "replace".

Then a mandate will have to be part of his "replace."  Otherwise, insurance companies couldn't afford to cover those who get sick and then demand coverage.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:03:13 am by sinkspur »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 04:58:25 am »
Well, you've been right about everything so far...especially that Trump had no chance to beat Hillary...so I'm sure you're correct once again.

Two guarantees...after repealing Obamacare they WILL put coverage to 26 years and pre-existing clauses in the new bill. AND....there will NOT be a mandate. Paul Ryan already has a plan and he'll be laying it out in pieces over the next 60 days, in coordination with President Trump of course.

I'll take a huge bet that a mandate will have to be part of any plan.  Otherwise, insurance companies can't afford to cover people who get sick and decide to take out coverage.

Are you thinking this through?